Bon Iver?

Crap
71%
Not Crap
29%

Total votes : 85

Re: Artist: Bon Iver

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:38 pm

I dont' like this music and here is why. It is the most offensive kind of "Indie Rock." Let's call it, Commercialized Indie

(It's) the sound of Iron & Wine and Michael McDonald getting together to compare beards.

By the final track, “Beth/Rest,” there are keyboards straight out of a Phil Collins ballad, guitars that wouldn't sound out of place over a Top Gun sex scene, and saxophones, and it may occur to you that Vernon's voice can sound a great deal like Peter Cetera's.

It's kind of like when 80's pop music took over American Country music a few years back. Turn on any modern country station and what you'll hear is 80's rock being sold as Country.

Same thing here. This is not Indie rock. It's just packaged that way. If I want to listen to smooth music, call it what it is and put on, "Sailing, " by Christopher Cross. Bon Iver is Adult Contemporary

Bon Iver has a pretty big fan base of mostly women who run around doing thier little commercialized indie thing. It makes people who otherwise have terrible taste in music feel like they know something about music. The problem is that their litte darling indie bands are really Adult Contemporary.

Put Bon Iver up on the shelf with Iron and Wine, Arcade Fire, Wilco, Decemberists, and all the other, "Commercialized Indie." CRAP!

Now if you'll excuse me......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQeqmNbA2Hs
warmowski wrote:Those shoes aren't going to gaze at themselves.

BBGS:Ava

BBGS:Inhalant Abuse
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 pm

I was thinking the other day that Owen is sort of broadly comparable but has a lot more musical and emotional depth.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby MtHrtAttack on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 am

Whatever. The first album is one of my favorite albums ever made. The second album is definitely not as good as the first, although I didn't really appreciate the songs until I saw them live. Also, they did a completely un-fucking-real cover of Bjork's "Who Is it" live (with fucking sick beatboxing from their badass black trumpet player/backup singer).
MtHrtAttack
carrot top
carrot top

Postby cwiko on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:43 am

MtHrtAttack wrote:Also, they did a completely un-fucking-real cover of Bjork's "Who Is it" live (with fucking sick beatboxing from their badass black trumpet player/backup singer).

:shock: :smt009
cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Mason on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:12 am

The press release for this second album is unbelievable. Surely you can find it online, and it's hilarious when you do. Imagine the florid language that North Korea uses to big-up itself ("saint who rules with extensive magnanimity") multiplied by ten. We got a promo copy and the accompanying release at the paper a few months ago, and have actually stopped production to have someone read it out loud. Usually someone ends up on the floor, or close to it, laughing themselves to tears.

Semi-related: one of our not-quite-up-on-pop-culture editors was wondering what Bon Iver sounded like. So with my laptop on my lap, facing him, I said "here are two songs from the album", and called up "Beth/Rest", the last track on the latest album, as well as "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. He'd have never guessed that "Sailing" wasn't a track on the new Bon Iver if I hadn't told him. Even better, before I told him, he told me "Sailing" was easily the better song.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Ptommydski on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:15 am

KharBevNor wrote:What the fuck is this dreadful bullshit.
Ptommydski

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:50 am

I voted Not Crap.

It was a mistake.

I meant to vote Crap.

Fuck 'im.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Mason wrote:Semi-related: one of our not-quite-up-on-pop-culture editors was wondering what Bon Iver sounded like. So with my laptop on my lap, facing him, I said "here are two songs from the album", and called up "Beth/Rest", the last track on the latest album, as well as "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. He'd have never guessed that "Sailing" wasn't a track on the new Bon Iver if I hadn't told him. Even better, before I told him, he told me "Sailing" was easily the better song.

Oh God, I did something like this once. This kid I knew liked Franz Ferdinand a lot. So I played him the "new Franz Ferdinand single" and said they had another band member singing on this song. The kid loved it and said "this is probably one of the best Franz Ferdinand songs I've ever heard." It was "Chance Meeting" by Josef K.

also, I need to see this press release.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mason on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Found it. C/O Jagjaguwar:

First it was For Emma, Forever Ago. The soul in a refraction of icicles. A moment hanging like breath on air. And yet life — even still life — is not still. The story is not a story if it does not unravel. Your eyes you may cast backward, but the heart is locked in the chest and must beat forever forward. Bon Iver, Bon Iver is the frozen beast pressing upward from a loosening earth, one ear cocked to the echo of the ghost choir still singing, the other craving the martial call of drums tumbling, of thrum and wheeze. The desolation smoke has dissipated, cut with strips of brass. Celebration will not be denied, the cabinet cannot contain the rattle, there is meat on the bones.

It's there right away, in the thicker-stringed guitar and military snare of "Perth," and "Minnesota, WI." Anyone who had a single listen to For Emma will peg Justin Vernon's vocals immediately, but there is a sturdiness — an insistence — to Bon Iver, Bon Iver that allows him to escape the cabin in the woods without burning it to the ground. "Holocene" opens with simple finger-picking. The vocal is regret spun hollow and strung on a wire. Then the snare-beat breaks and drives us forward and up and up until we fly silent through the black-star night, our wreckage in view whole atmospheres below. The vocals in "Hinnom, TX" ease to the muffled depths, while the instrumentation remains sparse and cosmic. "Calgary" is a worship song to everything For Emma mourned, and at the point in the final track "Beth/Rest" when Vernon sings, "I ain't livin' in the dark no more" it is clear he isn't dancing in the sunshine, but rather shading toward a new light.

[...] In the absence of solid ground, the whirlwind becomes a whirlpool, and Bon Iver, Bon Iver is Justin Vernon returning to former haunts with a new spirit. The reprises are there — solitude, quietude, hope and desperation compressed — but always a rhythm arises, a pulse vivified by gratitude and grace notes, some as bright as a bicycle bell. The winter, the legend, has faded to just that, and this is the new momentary present. The icicles have dropped, rising up again as grass.

That'd be embarrassing even for an album that wasn't Portland Michael McDonald.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason

Postby wellsyuk on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Good god that's bad.
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Intense Singer on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:02 pm

MtHrtAttack wrote:The first album is one of my favorite albums ever made.

Intense Singer
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Mason wrote:Found it. C/O Jagjaguwar:

First it was For Emma, Forever Ago. The soul in a refraction of icicles. A moment hanging like breath on air. And yet life — even still life — is not still. The story is not a story if it does not unravel. Your eyes you may cast backward, but the heart is locked in the chest and must beat forever forward. Bon Iver, Bon Iver is the frozen beast pressing upward from a loosening earth, one ear cocked to the echo of the ghost choir still singing, the other craving the martial call of drums tumbling, of thrum and wheeze. The desolation smoke has dissipated, cut with strips of brass. Celebration will not be denied, the cabinet cannot contain the rattle, there is meat on the bones.

It's there right away, in the thicker-stringed guitar and military snare of "Perth," and "Minnesota, WI." Anyone who had a single listen to For Emma will peg Justin Vernon's vocals immediately, but there is a sturdiness — an insistence — to Bon Iver, Bon Iver that allows him to escape the cabin in the woods without burning it to the ground. "Holocene" opens with simple finger-picking. The vocal is regret spun hollow and strung on a wire. Then the snare-beat breaks and drives us forward and up and up until we fly silent through the black-star night, our wreckage in view whole atmospheres below. The vocals in "Hinnom, TX" ease to the muffled depths, while the instrumentation remains sparse and cosmic. "Calgary" is a worship song to everything For Emma mourned, and at the point in the final track "Beth/Rest" when Vernon sings, "I ain't livin' in the dark no more" it is clear he isn't dancing in the sunshine, but rather shading toward a new light.

[...] In the absence of solid ground, the whirlwind becomes a whirlpool, and Bon Iver, Bon Iver is Justin Vernon returning to former haunts with a new spirit. The reprises are there — solitude, quietude, hope and desperation compressed — but always a rhythm arises, a pulse vivified by gratitude and grace notes, some as bright as a bicycle bell. The winter, the legend, has faded to just that, and this is the new momentary present. The icicles have dropped, rising up again as grass.

That'd be embarrassing even for an album that wasn't Portland Michael McDonald.

This is positively purple prose.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mason on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:44 pm

I don't really have a problem with the first album. I voted Not Crap w/ waffles on it in this thread, actually. It was a set of vaguely Palace-/Owen-ish songs that were mostly sort of pleasant. It was overhyped, and I haven't given it much thought since it came out, but it was okay.

I honestly think the problem with the second album is its intent. I mean, maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's necessarily impossible to play with shitty yacht-rock signifiers and come up with something that's actually compelling or good. People have been pointing out that if Loutallica hadn't been responsible for Lulu, if it was someone else recording an album of a man ranting over instrumental thrash, it might not have been a total failure (that Ratfucker album that got brought up here sort of proves that). That kind of thing.

The point is, I've read bits of Justin Vernon interviews, and he's prone to saying things like "I didn't even know I was supposed to apologize for listening to Bruce Hornsby." Which, I mean, come the fuck on. Being naive about that (or worse, pretending to be naive about it) is actually where a lot of this record's problems come from.

Contrast this shit with something like Beat Happening, whose lame cutey-pie-ness is (a) obviously intentional and (b) confrontational in its way. Take that perspective/attitude away, you just have She & Him. And while there clearly isn't a yacht-rock equivalent to Beat Happening, that idea's not necessarily guaranteed to fail (not that I'd listen to it if it succeeded). But yeah, Bon Iver is totally just She & Him in this analogy.

(I write this fully expecting this dude to lurk the boards and PM me about this. I'm kind of on a roll with that lately.)
Mason

Postby jeff_fox on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I wish I could vote crap till infinity. I would rather go to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra than this douche.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby A Totem Pole on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 pm

///
Last edited by A Totem Pole on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Totem Pole
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby E. Norma Stitz on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh holy shit. Really? That's one hell of a blurb.
E. Norma Stitz
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:25 pm

emmanuelle cunt wrote:I think I listened to one of his (edit: or is it a band?) albums once or twice and got bored. I don't recall it as being crap, more like really, really 'meh'.

Meh, "WF" of zero.

I'd like to change my vote. I saw a video for the song 'Calgary. It was god fucking awful and made me think of Enya or some other faux spiritual bullshit music from the 90's. CRAP.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby warmowski on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Lana Del Rey was way, way more entertaining than this lousy sweater-rock. In like, every way.
warmowski

Postby zom-zom on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Man, almost makes me embarrassed to have lived in Eau Claire for 4 years.

I like a lot of really fey shit too, and a lot of decidedly horrible crap, but I cannot dig this stuff at all.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap