Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Two Albums Enter

Spiderland
47%
Goat
53%

Total votes : 116

Postby tommydski on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:54 am

Spiderland makes more sense to me if you consider BM was listening to On the Beach on repeat.

If you took the jazzy, messy Big Black-esque songs from Tweez and stretched them into loose grooves in the manner of Neil Young, you might end up with something like Spiderland. And that's essentially what happened.

I voted for Spiderland.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby sparky on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:13 am

tommydski wrote:Spiderland makes more sense to me if you consider BM was listening to On the Beach on repeat.

I'd forgotten this little fact.

I think that this is a great example of someone trying to capture a particular mood that a work of art brought out in him, and maybe trying to capture some of its style, but creating something utterly different due to his methods being far removed from those of his inspiration. I like this idea a lot; the other example that jumps to mind is Curzio Malaparte's Kaputt. He wanted to write like Proust, but ended up writing something unique.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby tommydski on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:22 am

I think you're onto something there.

Spiderland doesn't sound like Neil Young but it sounds a bit like what would happen if the band who made Tweez tried to play that kind of music with what they had at their disposal.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby motorbike guy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 am

TJL over Slint.
Last edited by motorbike guy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:14 am

Goat, but both are amazing.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 am

Nice to see the PRF finally came to it's fucking senses, Slint...give me a fucking break.

I hereby declare Aluminum Beard dead as a genre. Pitchfork, you may now start using it.
Last edited by Marsupialized on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby cesb on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 am

timpickens wrote:I'd pick Goat over just about everything. Anything.
Mike G. | +@-
cesb
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Location: La Grange. No, La Grange ILLINOIS. No, Evanston, I mean.

Postby Adam I on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:41 am

I think TJL sound superficially more impressive today because there are no straight ahead rock and roll bands of equal quality. Slint's aesthetic has been so extensively raped that it's probably rather harder to understand their staggering uniqueness retrospectively.

Still, Spiderland for me, easily.
Last edited by Adam I on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby LaSalle bon Dioxide on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:47 pm

This is really an apples vs. oranges argument. Apples taste better. No oranges do... And so on. tJL is the best tasting apple. Slint is the best tasting orange. Whether or not this best tasting orange is better than this best tasting apple is an argument that just cannot be won. I voted Goat because I prefer apples. But I also love me some oranges.
LaSalle bon Dioxide
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby the Classical on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Goat, though I haven't listened to either record in a long time.

Also, the posts in this thread are a lot less ridiculous then I hoped, c'mon you sub-human mongoloids you can do a lot better. This thing better be twenty pages deep by the time I get home tonight.
Last edited by the Classical on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm

LaSalle bon Dioxide wrote:This is really an apples vs. oranges argument. Apples taste better. No oranges do... And so on. tJL is the best tasting apple. Slint is the best tasting orange. Whether or not this best tasting orange is better than this best tasting apple is an argument that just cannot be won. I voted Goat because I prefer apples. But I also love me some oranges.

So what you're saying is this is an apples and oranges argument? I don't understand.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby LaSalle bon Dioxide on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:32 pm

AAAAAAAARGH wrote:
LaSalle bon Dioxide wrote:This is really an apples vs. oranges argument. Apples taste better. No oranges do... And so on. tJL is the best tasting apple. Slint is the best tasting orange. Whether or not this best tasting orange is better than this best tasting apple is an argument that just cannot be won. I voted Goat because I prefer apples. But I also love me some oranges.

So what you're saying is this is an apples and oranges argument? I don't understand.

Well, you see, it's really very complex and will certainly be a difficult thing to explain unless you've had years of literary training through one of the premier graduate-level institutions in the nation.
LaSalle bon Dioxide
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby scott on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Nice to see the PRF finally came to it's fucking senses, Slint...give me a fucking break.

I hereby declare Aluminum Beard dead as a genre. Pitchfork, you may now start using it.

The hilarity of this statement? Duane from TJL was the one playing the aluminum (Bean). Nobody in Slint played any aluminum instruments as far as I know.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 pm

scott wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Nice to see the PRF finally came to it's fucking senses, Slint...give me a fucking break.

The hilarity of this statement? Duane from TJL was the one playing the aluminum (Bean). Nobody in Slint played any aluminum instruments as far as I know.

Aluminum Beard had nothing to do with the types of instruments someone played or whether or not they had a beard.
Aluminum beard was a state of mind, man.
Duane played an aluminum guitar yes, but they were as far away from Aluminum beard as I can imagine a band being.

Personality and excitement are the sworn enemy of Aluminum Beard.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Slint!
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby a. james on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:The limitation of The Jesus Lizard was that they played only rock songs. That's not a problem, since they were a rock band. But if you tread the same narrow ground forever, you are certain to write an unremarkable tune like "South Mouth" now and then.
so, i guess the cut tape aspect of the song does nothing for you.

unremarkable my butt.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby punch_the_lion on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:35 pm

I can't believe the blasphemy on this thread! Spiderland in a trot.

Liar is my favorite TJL album though.
punch_the_lion

Postby enframed on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

10 years ago, spiderland would have won.

now, goat.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby mr.arrison on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Goat.

As I grow older, Spiderland and the speak-talk, plinky guitar clean/soft distortion pedal juxtapositions on it prove less listenable as time goes on. Yes, Slint's once grand entry into the halls of mr.arrison's rock hall of fame were soon tainted by the legions of sub-par copycats ("boat-rock", "mogwai" etc.) and then destroyed by seeing the "legends" perform live, appearing bored out of their skulls 14 years later. All of this has the effect of watering down the original masterpiece.

I can't make it through Don, A Man. Turn it off. Were there really like four people on stage playing this song live? WTF? (OK, admittedly it was neat to hear that second guitar fade in from the side of the stage)

The rest of Spiderland is a great. Too bad I rarely want to listen to it.

TJL influenced bands were usually easy to ignore, or just different enough they mutated into something else unique in their own right (i.e. Shellac, Uzeda, Shorty, etc..) And most of them seem to use Liar as a reference- a more brutal, balls-out Jesus Lizard!

That said, Goat is untouchable. Even bands that try to sound like TJL can't get close to this. They either get too man-rock, too grotesque or too brutal. You see, Goat swings and has ambience to it. There's not a bit of metal on this. It's ROCK. It walks the tightrope of all things ugly and beautiful and never falls. It has songs that are better than others, but not a single clunker.

guitar arpeggios and rock riffs: Gold +10
tasteful borrowing of birthday party/blues/jazz/rockabilly constructions: amazing.
drum patterns: sick
bass lines: absolutely nail it home every time.
vocals: just perverse enough to make you cringe and scratch your head.
engineering: great use of space, huge drum sound, amazing guitar sound.

A solid, perfect record.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Dave/Eksvplot on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:01 pm

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:TLJ over Slint.
Dave/Eksvplot
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap