Breaking Bad

crap
7%
not crap
93%

Total votes : 197

Re: tv show: Breaking Bad

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 pm

stewie wrote:Wish they hadn't done that "fly in the lab" episode. That not only blew hard, it also fucked a pretty incredible signal-to-noise ratio.

I actually really liked that episode..
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
drum tuner
drum tuner

Postby Andy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 am

krs wrote:Fly was not the most exciting of BB episodes, but it was important in the overall arc of the show. There should more to storytelling than simply moving the plot forward every week.

I didn't see it as anything more than an hour long "WW is a fucked up control freak", which we knew.

I understand that it's a character study, but it just fell flat for me.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Andy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 am

krs wrote:There is more going on in that episode. Examine the dynamics between Walter and Jesse. See the fly as a metaphor. You may understand the intent.

I'm not going to go back and watch it. Can you recap what you're referring to?
Andy

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:38 am

Okay, this morning I finished the show and now my feelings toward it are more mixed than I thought they'd be. Can't put a finger on why exactly, at this hour. Need to think it over a bit.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:40 am

tbone wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:I wonder if the last shot (the overhead crane shot of the police entering the scene) was intended as an homage to the the brothel scene in Taxi Driver.

I was thinking the same thing.

Me too. First thing that came to mind was Taxi Driver.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:14 am

Saw this earlier and immediately thought of Breaking Bad, though none of the drug lords on the show owned a bunch of huge, exotic animals, did they?

Guess there really is a lot of money in meth.
Dave//Eksvplot

Postby Wood Goblin on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:44 am

My wife and I just finished watching this, two years after everyone else. We watch very little TV, so it took us months and months.

Jesus, was it tremendous. I can't stop thinking about the final few episodes, nor do I want to. The symmetry between the show's beginning and end has been preoccupying me since last night. It kept me awake.

So much "good" TV is simply a distraction from things I'd rather be doing. This was an exception. It was just perfect.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Wood Goblin on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:49 am

I've had a few days to digest the finale and to read commentary on the show that I'd been avoiding for years. It's strange to read complaints that the finale offered too much closure to the series. It's closure in the sense that Moby Dick offers closure. There's nothing but devastation left in the wake.

Some thoughts:

* The use of "Baby Blue" was one of the best musical cues I've ever encountered. Much has been made of the lyrical content ("I guess I got what I deserved"; "That special love I have for you / my baby blue") and the melancholy tone. The song also would've come out during WW's childhood, giving it that pang of nostalgia and innocence. I guess something also could be made of the fact that two members of Badfinger killed themselves after being exploited by their manager.

* The scene in which WW watched Walt, Jr., walking to Skylar's apartment killed me. He'd been dropped off on a school bus, too, if memory serves me right--not by a friend. That entire sequence at the apartment was incredible, for what it's worth.

* Vince Gilligan mentioned in his WTF interview that, if you pay attention, it's never clear that WW's former Gray Matter partners ever did anything wrong. The information about their past bad behavior comes from Walter, who views everything through the prism of his own bitterness and self-regard and frustrated entitlement.

* It's fascinating how many events in the final few episodes are echoes of events that happened earlier. History repeating itself, first as farce, then as tragedy. For one thing, the fact that the first and last deaths in the series are by strangling and involve captives in the basement. Then there's the manner in which WW's phone call at the end of Ozymandias recalls Skylar's impersonation of a bimbo to protect Ted from the IRS. There's also the fact that the GPS coordinates that will lead to Hank's body are preserved in a lottery ticket--meaning that, once again, a ruse about gambling is used to assist the Schraders. And of course, the series both began and ended--literally the first and last scenes--with a body in a meth lab.

* Maybe my favorite scene in the series was the opening to Ozymandias--the flashback to the first cook, which fades into the aftermath of the shootout.

So much "good" television is a waste of time that could be spent better on other activities. This was amazing. It managed to be unpredictable by being open-ended and not because "twists" were thrown in. A genuine work of art.
Wood Goblin

Postby Lemuel Gulliver on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:54 am

Who the heck votes CRAP on this show? Jesus. Some people just can't be pleased.
Lemuel Gulliver
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby kerble on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 am

Tuco's Nissan commercial.
phpBB [media]
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Previous