Breaking Bad

crap
7%
not crap
93%

Total votes : 197

Re: tv show: Breaking Bad

Postby MWilke on Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 am

So I think I've got the usage of color figured out. Basically anything green is Skylar. When Walt is thinking of Skylar or dealing with Skylar the frame is doused in green. The odd curveball with this was in the beginning of the season in which everyone in rehab is wearing green and Jesse is planting flowers, the leaves complementing his attire.

In the last 2 episodes, Marie has been drenched in purple. She was consistently wearing purple, bedroom furniture was purple, the flowers Hank was holding in the last sequence last night were primarily purple.

When the women are completely out of the shot, Hank and Walt wear bland earth tones and the remainder of the frame corresponds.

I was thinking that it was supposed to be some sort of metaphor, but it turns out colors are serving the same purpose as theme music for certain characters.

The new color this week was light blue. Thinking back to the gas station clerk calling Jesse's eyes, 'like, really blue' but from the close-ups of Jesse, his eyes are green. Hospital scenes covered in blue, one can assume it's a theme for Jesse or it's a theme of the blue meth. Also, the elevator in which we see Hank twice at the DEA office was blue, perhaps the meth almost haunting him as he breaks down.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby AdamN on Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 pm

I'll just drop this here...

This project commenced on March 21, 2010 and ended April 14, 2010. I lived in ABQ during that time and will return to photograph Season 3's locations in November 2010. I need help figuring out the Beneke Fabricators, the chicken hatchery, the laundry, Walt's new "model" apartment location, so let me know if you have any ideas where they are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24869473@N02/sets/72157623732482564/
AdamN
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby MWilke on Mon May 17, 2010 10:41 am

This is a good write-up on Michael Slovis, the director of photography. I was thinking this last episode 'Kafkaesque' was the most visually beautiful episode this show has done. But seeing that Slovis was the director makes that a bit more obvious. I was mesmerized by the Walt/Gus conference room scene and I'm glad this article touched up on it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/breaking-bad-michael-slovis-a-visual-storyteller.html

SPOILERS AHEAD

Take Sunday's episode, for example, one that Slovis actually directed instead of shot, though his visual influence was still clearly present. With normal B-camera operator Peter Reniers acting as director of photography, one pivotal scene involved a meeting between Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a schoolteacher turned methamphetamine cook, and Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito), the dangerous meth distributor Walt answers to but may not wholly trust.

Their meeting took place in a conference room of sorts, and the scene began with a very wide shot of the conference room, far away from the two men and giving us a sense of the space in which they sat. As the conversation grew more intense, Walt basically telling Gus that he knew he played a pivotal role in the recent assassination attempt of Walt's brother-in-law, the camera moved in closer on the two men's faces but we never saw either of them wholly; the sunlight coming in through the windows not only colored the room unevenly, but it also illuminated only half of each man's face, leaving the other halves in complete shadow. The darkness of the scene matched the narrative, and the shadow upon those faces doubled as a symbolic touch, both of these men leading double lives.

9 episodes in I think it's fair to say Season 3 has bested Season 2. And I can't believe it. Eventually this show is going to disappoint, right?
MWilke

Postby Pure L on Mon May 17, 2010 10:52 pm

MWilke wrote:This is a good write-up on Michael Slovis, the director of photography. I was thinking this last episode 'Kafkaesque' was the most visually beautiful episode this show has done. But seeing that Slovis was the director makes that a bit more obvious. I was mesmerized by the Walt/Gus conference room scene and I'm glad this article touched up on it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/breaking-bad-michael-slovis-a-visual-storyteller.html

SPOILERS AHEAD

Take Sunday's episode, for example, one that Slovis actually directed instead of shot, though his visual influence was still clearly present. With normal B-camera operator Peter Reniers acting as director of photography, one pivotal scene involved a meeting between Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a schoolteacher turned methamphetamine cook, and Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito), the dangerous meth distributor Walt answers to but may not wholly trust.

Their meeting took place in a conference room of sorts, and the scene began with a very wide shot of the conference room, far away from the two men and giving us a sense of the space in which they sat. As the conversation grew more intense, Walt basically telling Gus that he knew he played a pivotal role in the recent assassination attempt of Walt's brother-in-law, the camera moved in closer on the two men's faces but we never saw either of them wholly; the sunlight coming in through the windows not only colored the room unevenly, but it also illuminated only half of each man's face, leaving the other halves in complete shadow. The darkness of the scene matched the narrative, and the shadow upon those faces doubled as a symbolic touch, both of these men leading double lives.

9 episodes in I think it's fair to say Season 3 has bested Season 2. And I can't believe it. Eventually this show is going to disappoint, right?

Watching Walt during the scene where Skylar 'came out' to her sister about Walt's "gambling problem" was fucking awesome. That dude's such a great actor.
Pure L

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue May 18, 2010 1:05 am

Solid.

I'm not much of a tv guy, but my girlfriend got me sucked into this. Occasionally goes off the rails (did NOT like the Mexican assassin twins; too much obvious Anton Chigurh influence), but this show is generally well-executed. Infinitely more of a complicated bummer and less screamingly moralistic than most stuff out there. Less condescending to its audience, as well. Uncomfortable at times. And the only program I can think of that eagerly and smartly critiques the American healthcare system (and dares us to consider that drug dealing just might, in fact, be no less amoral).

Cinematography is top notch, lots of attn. to detail, decent acting, plenty of black comedy. Good to see Giancarlo Esposito working again.

I tend to go for the simpler, calmer episodes. Season three has been great fun, but plane crashes and border wars aren't really what this program does best. The scenes at Pollos Hermanos are pretty brilliant, though.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby shoe on Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Last edited by shoe on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoe
marmoset
marmoset

Postby elmofreech on Tue May 18, 2010 7:59 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Good to see Giancarlo Esposito working again.

Still have a hard time believing that's him -- I see the dude's name and all I can think is Buggin Out.

Guy's been really great on this show.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby AdamN on Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 pm

I still want to believe that Walt Jr.'s friend, Louis, called Hank with the voice scrambler. :lol:

Some things I tied together: I like how earlier in Season 3, Walt was angry at Jesse for attempting to reproduce the Heisenberg/blue product. Also, his dream lab setup was not that as it first appeared, his assistant was also trying to learn the formula, which eventually would lead to his death/someone else profiting off of his stuff. This echoes back to when Gretchen ended up with Elliott (still not explained, except Walt left Gretchen during a family vacation?) and used his research to make Gray Matter a very profitable entity.

Jesse's monologue during the NA meeting in last week's episode (Kafkaesque) was about the box that he made during wood shop. He doesn't put much effort into the box (meth made with chili powder) and his involved teacher (Walt) encourages him to put more effort into the box (blue product derived using Heisenberg's recipe).

For people comparing Skyler to Carmela Soprano: Carmela married a criminal, Skyler married a high school chemistry teacher; Carmela never had a job, Skyler works at Beneke. Skyler has a right to be cranky, Walt has placed their family into jeopardy.

On a lighter note, Gus once again had a fruit tray on the table in his conference room. What a guy!

Not Crap.
AdamN
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby MWilke on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey, so I think I speak for everyone who watches the show when I say

HOLY FUCKING WHITE, BLUE-EYED JESUS!

I only really expected the finale next week to be a re-organization episode for the next season, but then there's this from the LA Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/06/breaking-bad-run.html

"I will tell you this," Aaron Paul, who played Jesse, told me during an interview a few weeks ago. "Episode 12 [Sunday's episode] definitely could have been the finale and it would have been insane, but then there's another episode where they just ... " -- here he laughed -- " ... they take it to such a different level, you're just like, 'Wow.' " And here he laughed again, a mischievous laugh that seemed to say, "You just wait."

What an amazing season.
MWilke

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

It's interesting because next week's episode almost feels like it should be a series finale instead of a season finale.

I can't see where they'll go from here.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby MWilke on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:27 pm

SPOILERS

numberthirty wrote:I can't see where they'll go from here.

While it kind of does feel like the conclusion of the show, I saw it as a way to open up so many new doors. Gus can't just have a final showdown with Walt unless Gale fully learned all of his methods and can replace him. Gus most likely had the kid killed to set up the stand-off to ultimately get all three of them wiped out. I have no idea how the power struggle here will play out, but it's so complicated that I think this ending was the gateway to the next season, focusing on Walt and Gus. And also Hank's getting his strength back so he'll be back in the situation soon enough to bring back the DEA into the equation.

That said if they end it after next season, it would be perfect.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/tgoodman/detail?&entry_id=65257

Here's what I've been waiting for since the end of Season 2: to see how far Gilligan would push Walt away from the audience and whether he could bring him back - not to full redemption (nobody wants a Disney ending here), but to show the audience that somewhere in side, Walt is still Walt. And I think protecting Jesse, even if the plan had no room for forward thinking, reaffirmed Walt's humanity. That's how you keep an audience. But doing that in a way that doesn't pander is, in all honestly, almost impossible. I just didn't see how they could do it. And so tempering the saving of Jesse with a not-inconsequential step forward in Walt's cold-bloodedness, was a virtuoso twist.

I'd probably add doing so in a way that made him even more cold-blooded than ever (he has killed before, but never with so little hesitation or so few second thoughts) which makes the development that much more complicated.
MWilke

Postby shoe on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:21 am

Last edited by shoe on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoe
marmoset
marmoset

Postby elmofreech on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:14 pm

Y'know, I wasn't that into it. I wanted some real closure and I felt like the episode was just a set up for Season 4.

I also thought this was supposed to be an hour and a half instead of the regular hour/hour and five, so seeing "Directed by Vince Gilligan" came completely out of left field.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby MWilke on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 am

SPOILERS

Great ending to an terrific season. I guess we'll wait and see if there's a body, but that was just absolutely excruciating to watch. My 4 month old baby loves to pull my glasses off my face. When Holly did that to Walt opening the final segment, knowing something horrible was right around the corner, it really put a lump in my throat.

One small choice I didn't understand. In the opening when they're house hunting (Skylar is pregnant so it's approximately 1992-93) why does she have a late 70s hairstyle?

elmofreech wrote:Y'know, I wasn't that into it. I wanted some real closure and I felt like the episode was just a set up for Season 4.

I also thought this was supposed to be an hour and a half instead of the regular hour/hour and five, so seeing "Directed by Vince Gilligan" came completely out of left field.

1. When did this show ever offer the viewer closure? The fundamental premise of this show is that every single action creates tons of consequential possibilities.

2. Where did you get the impression that it was going to be 90 minutes and how is that the show's fault?
MWilke

Postby MWilke on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am

MWilke

Postby washwhatyoueat on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 am

I was under the same impression about the length of the episode as well. When I pulled up the Comcast guide to set it to record, it showed the total time to be 1:45. Turns out the extra time was the premiere of some new show...
washwhatyoueat
mime
mime

Postby John W. on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:21 pm

I still want to give this show a chance, but the one I saw was just about two guys trying to kill a fly - a lot of actors acting - I don't know, maybe I need to watch them in order.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby MWilke on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:00 pm

That episode was amazing. It was perfectly placed to do a low-key episode before the dominoes started falling to run against the Lost finale and they still hit it out of the park. There's an incredible amount of tension, madness and beautiful cinematography done with basically nothing. Aside from metaphoric images of workers punching the clock, the entire episode takes place between 2 people in a confined space. No other show is capable of doing that effectively.
MWilke

Postby John W. on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:53 pm

See - it just drove me nuts. After about 20 minutes, I fast-forwarded through it.

I didn't care about the characters. I need to start at the beginning.

I'll bet if I saw it in context, I'd have appreciated it. Instead I was just confused.
John W.

Postby MWilke on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:20 pm

I'd imagine. Just watch the very first episode. I guarantee it's not boring.
MWilke

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap