The Go-Betweens?

Not Crap
95%
Crap
5%

Total votes : 39

Band : The Go-Betweens

Postby ssakmule on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:26 am

A band, who music has gone from an 'oook' to 'tolerable pop music' to great over the years, music which has made me pay more attention to lyrics than I normally do, a band whose hyphen leads to problems with the search function on the EA forums & a band I don't know much about, leaving the only thing I own by them, the great-greatest hits, "Bellavista Terrace: Best of The Go-Betweens".

I remember a post or two on this forum from a while ago, which I was unable to find after my extensive 1 minute search - unimpeded by a lack of 'time waits', between two successive searches. So then?
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:As long as elites are in the minority, minorities will stay in the majority of the poor.
sunlore wrote:Germany equals Rocco Siffredi football: if you have a hole, they will exploit it.
ssakmule
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Re: Band : The Go-Betweens

Postby tmidgett on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Love them.

For some incredibly stupid reason, I have never bought the last three--Worlds Apart, Bright Orange etc., Friends of Rachel Worth.

I have and adore everything else.

Bellavista Terrace is fine. The 1978-1990 collection is almost definitive, and it is essential for a couple of songs in particular ("Rock and Roll Friend"). But for my money you need the full run of their five great albums:

Spring Hill Fair
Tallulah
Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express
Before Hollywood
16 Lovers Lane

In order of my preference, not chronology. I don't think Send Me a Lullaby (1st alb) is anything special. Both Grant McLennan and Robt Forster made some satisfying solo music, but I don't think either of them ever quite put it all together on his own.

I saw Grant and Robt play live in Seattle as an acoustic duo once. It remains one of my favorite shows. I loved that these two guys, just carrying a tune and playing just about nothing but the most rudimentary folk chords, could spin out so much music of rather effortless beauty--so subtly varied, insightful, romantic, funny, great.

The band's stated goal, starting out: fuse the Monkees' musical sense with Patti Smith's lyrical sense. Pretty funny idea. Pretty great idea. Pretty successful, in that they sort of did it but ended up well beyond either one in the end.

I think I'll go order those last three records right now.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Haydon on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:17 pm

I have Oceans Apart and Spring Hill Fair. I love them both but in the last couple of months i have been favouring Oceans Apart over most things. The last album of theirs i think?

I bought Robert Forsters "The Evangelist" upon hearing he was going to be playing the Melbourne ATP next year. It is ok. 2-3 songs on it are as good as the better songs on Oceans Apart.
Haydon
intestine
intestine

Postby tommydski on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Such a fucking great band that I feel bad for Kerbling this thread.

Sorry gang, the new search function sucks.
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Haydon on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Ssshhhh.
Haydon
intestine
intestine

Postby Dr. O' Nothing on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 am

Another secret: Robert Forster's Danger in the Past LP is the jewel of the solo GB's releases (Produced by Mick Harvey). Have fun finding it.
Dr. O' Nothing
life
life

Postby Hosoi on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:43 am

tmidgett wrote:I don't think Send Me a Lullaby (1st alb) is anything special.

I love this record.

It is strange.

I like how they talk their way through the songs, like they are really telling you something. It's like they wanted to make pop songs, but they were too punk to do it at the time.

It's not as good as Spring Hill Fair, but it's probably my favourite.
Hosoi
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Adam I on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:45 am

Dr. O' Nothing wrote:Another secret: Robert Forster's Danger in the Past LP is the jewel of the solo GB's releases (Produced by Mick Harvey). Have fun finding it.

I might be able to help out with that if I can find one of my lost copies. Mick Harvey played on that, such a good record. The follow-up had a couple of great tracks too, but 'Danger in the Past' is incredible. Probably as good as some of the best Go-Betweens stuff.

Nowhere near CRAP.

*edit*

Here's 'Danger in the Past' for anybody interested.

*edit edit*

I'd forgotten how amazing the song 'I've been looking for Somebody' is. Wow.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Haydon on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 am

Adam I,

Thank you so damn freaking much. What a beautiful album.
Haydon
intestine
intestine

Postby tmidgett on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 am

Danger in the Past is the best of the solo things, I reckon.

They did a creepy, hilarious version of the title track the show I saw. Forster would hang out towards the back of the stage for the verses, and on the chorus he'd come rushing to the front of the stage, lunging out at the crowd--"DANGER...in the paaaahhhst."

Grant had some fantastic solo songs, as well. He did a couple records under the name Jack Frost, with Steve Kilbey from the Church. There's a song from that stuff--"Thought That I Was Over You"--that is transcendent. A bit bogged down in the production, but great. I keep meaning to steal it.
tmidgett

Postby enframed on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:28 pm

i have a compilation made for me of grant mcclennan songs from go-betweens. i love this compilation a lot so not crap for that. the other guy's sings don't really do it for me.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby murderedman on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:18 pm

tmidgett wrote:I think I'll go order those last three records right now.

Yeah, I think so. I can't imagine how you were able to live all these years without, "German Farmhouse", "Caroline and I", or "The Statue".
murderedman
cool kid
cool kid

Postby president camacho on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:53 am

Thank you so much, Adam I, for Danger in the Past.

Did you all know of the Go-Betweens/Birthday Party collaboration? It's called "After the Fireworks," and it's here.

tmidgett wrote:For some incredibly stupid reason, I have never bought the last three--Worlds Apart, Bright Orange etc., Friends of Rachel Worth.

Get 'em as soon as you can. Each record has at least two songs that fit solidly in their canon. (Production's a little slick on some of Worlds Apart, though.)

EDIT: Oh yeah: NOT CRAP, WF 0.
president camacho
convert
convert

Postby ctrl-s on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Not Crap, WF 0, I have determined in the past five minutes upon my first-ever exposure to them, i.e. "Here Comes A City."

Robert Forster wrote:Etterzhausen, Frankfurt Central
here comes a city, here comes a city
and why do people who read Dostoevsky
always look like Dostoevsky?
"I swear to God if you ever turn in a piece of shit like this to me again I will flunk your ass. I shit you not." -- DFW
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:55 pm

The Go-Betweens are one of those bands that, for whatever reason, I find myself admiring more than actually liking. Spring Hill Fair is a brilliant album - "Bachelor Kisses" especially I remember as a wonderful pop song - but I almost never listen to it and never find myself trying to delve further into their catalog. I don't know. I guess I have to grow into them.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby elmofreech on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Yeah, they have a whole mess of songs I dislike, although it may just be the production techniques.

I wanted to like "Spring Hill Fair" a lot. It has a nice reputation and I'm a huge fan of "Part Company" and "Bachelor Kisses," but the album does very little for me. I really enjoy "Before Hollywood."

The first thing(s) I heard from the Go-Bees was this compilation/sampler for the double-disc reissues that came out in 2004. It's this great mix of the album versions, single versions, and radio sessions of songs from "Liberty Belle," "Tallulah," and "16 Lovers Lane." I like it way more than any of their full albums.

Still a ton of stellar songs. I like this band. I think I posted all of this on the other Go-Betweens thread.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby tmidgett on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:23 am

Oceans Apart is the only latter-day record I've ended up with.

It's really great.

Love them, miss them.
tmidgett

Postby Jon M. on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 am

Listening to this band a lot lately. It's a profound mystery to me how (at least on the early records) they could be so weird and so catchy at the same time. Not crap.
Jon M.
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby Domagoj on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:44 pm

From the mosh-pit back in the 1980s dorm-room:

the Go-Betweens were awesome.

Tallulah and 16 Lovers Lane albums were not.

Bloody radio waves and smash hits and pop charts etc. Barff!

The image of Australia (or prejudice) as a roughneck country, is it just the myth?

Have you ever been to Italo – Australian club?

Heavy floods around Brisbane these days.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby wasthere on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Domagoj wrote:The image of Australia (or prejudice) as a roughneck country, is it just the myth?
no, but there are two sides to every coin.
Domagoj wrote:Heavy floods around Brisbane these days.

yeah i grew up near brisbane & i feel for the people.
but it's city in the tropics built on a flood plain so it's gonna happen every once in a while.

go-betweens: a lot of their stuff is over rated but they're not crap.
the good old days are only good 'cause they're gone.
wasthere
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap