95%
Crap
5%

Total votes : 39

Re: Band : The Go-Betweens

Postby mackro on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am

amar wrote:
tmidgett wrote:
The band's stated goal, starting out: fuse the Monkees' musical sense with Patti Smith's lyrical sense. Pretty funny idea. Pretty great idea. Pretty successful, in that they sort of did it but ended up well beyond either one in the end.

I think I'll go order those last three records right now.

I only have Tallulah and 16 Lovers Lane, which are great.

But this Monkees reference didn't make sense. For the first time, and thanks to this thread, I saw some of their videos on Youtube yesterday including Right Here. It makes perfect sense now.

"Lee Remick" and the early singles sounds exactly like the stated goal.. but things change from album to album away from that, slowly but surely.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby thelastrewind on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:39 pm

There's a syncopated thing that Lindy Morrison does on the chorus of "On My Block" that blew my mind the first time I heard it. Off-putting, weird and genius.

This band doesn't get enough love in Australia, and I'm somewhat disappointed that bands like AC/DC are seen as more representative of Australian music history.
Dovey wrote:Kat Dennings is like the SKWM of lady-crushes to me. Took ages to click, and then when it did, I fell hard

(not enough to watch 2 broke girls, tho)

Don't ever correct a dead man's spelling.
thelastrewind
lardner
lardner

Postby Beetown on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:14 am

Been listening to their albums a lot recently.

Great band, we've got a bridge named after them here in Brisbane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Between_Bridge
Beetown
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby placeholder on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 am

Incredible band. NOT CRAP.

My favorites are "Eight Pictures," "Dive for Your Memory," and "Apology Accepted," but they didn't do anything that wasn't great!
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby elmofreech on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:15 pm

If you're in Australia, you can stream the documentary The Go-Betweens: Right Here on the ABC network's site. I'm trying to find a way to watch it in the US, but having no luck. Hopefully it'll find its way here before too long

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/go-bet ... 608H001S00

If you watch, please report back!
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby boilermaker on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:40 pm

elmofreech wrote:If you're in Australia, you can stream the documentary The Go-Betweens: Right Here on the ABC network's site. I'm trying to find a way to watch it in the US, but having no luck. Hopefully it'll find its way here before too long

I watched the documentary on iview yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very candid. I guess the closest comparison would be the Rowland S Howard documentary, Autoluminescent, quality wise. Many of the interviews were shot in a gorgeous rural setting giving it a particularly Australian flavor. Steve Kilbey's take on his friendship with McLennan was lovely. I'll watch it again I think. Makes me want to read Grant and I even more.

Fidler's interview with Forster is also nice.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... er/7827376
boilermaker
princess di
princess di

Postby elmofreech on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thegobetween ... /242526722

Looks like the doc is available to rent/buy on Vimeo
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Sprague Dawley on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 pm

dont even have anything by these aussie cuntfaces but still voting not crap due to Cattle and cane cover by Ewewedding Present. the Go Betweens 7" original was nastily pricey last time I scoured discogs for it.
Sprague Dawley
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby Thanasis on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 pm

elmofreech wrote:If you're in Australia, you can stream the documentary The Go-Betweens: Right Here on the ABC network's site. I'm trying to find a way to watch it in the US, but having no luck. Hopefully it'll find its way here before too long

I watched it online over breakfast before work while my family slept. It was well worth it.

The old queenslander house in the bush was a beautiful setting. All of the band-member interviews were engaging even if they were not especially informative. It was also interesting to hear their contemporaries/friends/associates provide their thoughts on the band during the various periods. The most re-assuring thing for me was the depiction of how a band like that was able to come out of Brisbane at the time they did.
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band
that guy from the opening band

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap