The Georgia Peaches vs. The Manchester Mopes

The Georgia Peaches
41%
The Manchester Mopes
59%

Total votes : 121

Re: Jangledome: R.E.M. vs. The Smiths

Postby J_Temperance on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:37 pm

big_dave wrote:Meat is Murder is a good record but it also contains everything people hate about the Smiths in spades: finger pointing, preaching, moping, plagiarism, Marr's Exile worship and Moz's attempts to make rockabilly sound hip and '80s and funky. Meat is Murder being the iconic Smiths record to a lot of people is a pity because its by far the worst single disc of Morrissey/Marr music going and a terrible way to be introduced to them.

I agree, but then again it does have "The Headmaster Ritual", "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" and (in some editions) "How Soon Is Now?" on it, 3 songs that are in my top 5 favorite Smiths songs.

That's the thing about the Smiths, I don't think they have an album that's as consistently good as "Lifes Rich Pageant" but the highs...whoa boy. Stuff like "Louder Than Bombs" and "Hatful of Hollow" is untouchable for that same reason.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Hexensabbat on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:48 pm

The Smiths always become my favorite band during autumn. REM are good, but they don't have a season.
Hexensabbat
party clown
party clown

Postby J_Temperance on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Hexensabbat wrote:The Smiths always become my favorite band during autumn. REM are good, but they don't have a season.

The Smiths are definitely an autumn and winter band, but I'd say that R.E.M. is good rainy day music (especially the first 3 albums) and "Lifes Rich Pageant" is a pretty great summertime BBQ album.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Hexensabbat on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:26 pm

J_Temperance wrote:
Hexensabbat wrote:The Smiths always become my favorite band during autumn. REM are good, but they don't have a season.

The Smiths are definitely an autumn and winter band, but I'd say that R.E.M. is good rainy day music (especially the first 3 albums) and "Lifes Rich Pageant" is a pretty great summertime BBQ album.

I can see that. What's interesting is that I seem to have the opposite problem that a lot of people in this thread have, where I can listen to a Smiths album front-to-back with few complaints (save for Strangeways) but with REM I tend just to go back for particular songs. In fact, Murmur and Reckoning are probably the only REM albums I could confidently say I know like the back of my hand.
Hexensabbat
party clown
party clown

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:00 pm

rawketlawnchair wrote:I don't like REM that much either. I've had more """emotional connection""" with """unemotional""" bands like AC/DC than either of 'em.

AC/DC are a rock 'n' roll band.

They play across the land.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby i am the smud on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:46 am

big_dave wrote:They have huge stand-outs, but they're pretty thin compared to Chronic Town and Murmur.

This topic is way too subjective to make such a sweeping dismissal.I don't think I've ever listened to Murmur the whole way through. It's too wispy, too insubstantial even compared to Reckoning. Imo there's nothing on it to match Camera for its emotional impact, or Time After Time for its power. I admire Murmur from a distance, I was exposed to it years after Automatic for the People became ingrained in my formative music listening years. I have spent entire weeks listening to nothing but Automatic for the People, from Drive to Find the River - usually only skipping the very questionable Ignoreland (but sometimes sitting through that too).
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Driving through barren parts of Arizona, Utah, and Nevada in the summer, listening to New Adventures In Hi-Fi, R.E.M.'s best album, is a pleasure. Probably any part of the American West, in any season, but those I know for sure.

R.E.M. was/is my favorite band, and I've revisited a lot of their records this year. I once shared the love of Life's Rich Pageant, but now I wish it was an EP. Document and Monster are the ones whose stock has risen the most for me.

I can't get into the Smiths. Between that guy's ridiculous voice and lyrics and the jangle guitar filtered through a jangle pedal to a jangle amp jangle they just sound so cheesy. It does work for me on "Ask."
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby LizardPod on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:26 pm

When it comes to "Janglyness" I'll say The Smiths. When it comes to preference, both are tied. They both have good songs, and both have completely shitty ones. Also, Morrissey is a mediocre solo artist at best.
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby mt on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:listening to New Adventures In Hi-Fi, R.E.M.'s best album, is a pleasure.

I also have a lot of love for this album. Really they should have called it a day after this one.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Seby on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:12 am

I'm genuinely surprised at the results as I figure that The Smiths are the no brainer preference of the two. Ah....
Seby
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby i am the smud on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:01 pm

I'd say the sequence from Man on the Moon to Find the River is just as strong. I'd throw Star Me Kitten in too but I don't wanna push my luck.

My love for that album is not entirely nostalgic. I think it's a deeply beautiful album, informed by compassion for a youth culture that was obsessed with self destruction. I think Stipe's own appraisal of it being "turgid" is wrong.
i am the smud

Postby i am the smud on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:28 pm

I wish my generation had a front man like Stipe - compassionate, seemingly well read, clever. Most of these clowns seem like they spend their free time thinking up good puns for their Twitter followers. The closest analogue I can think of is Bradford Cox, but he's too much of a narcissist for me (same goes for Moz). And Deerhunter are pretty boring.
i am the smud

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap