The Georgia Peaches
41%
The Manchester Mopes
59%

Total votes : 121

Re: Jangledome: R.E.M. vs. The Smiths

Postby 2207 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:06 pm

The Smiths.

Easy. I can't abide all but a few of REM's songs. The Smiths I can live with almost all their songs. I'm not saying I would play them like I did millions of years ago, but I would rather tell my grandchildren that I liked this band.
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tocharian on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Easy. The Smiths didn’t write “So. Central Rain.” Good luck finding a more piercing and forceful song about having to let someone go, or a lyric more devastating than “Go build yourself another home/this choice isn’t mine.”
tocharian

Postby Model Citizen on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:13 pm

I'm not really big fan of either but easily The Smiths.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Andrew from tasmania on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:14 pm

The Smiths get big points from here for knowing when to stop.

to be fair: there's a great early R.E.M. period where they did a lot of good work and and seemed interesting and innovative to my young ears. However, as time wore on, I did not return to those albums (though now maybe it would be could to go back and have another listen) and The Smiths - I have never ceased to listen to.
Andrew from tasmania
twain
twain

Postby placeholder on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Smiths, no contest.

I like R.E.M. just fine, but they can't touch the Smiths.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mason on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 pm

If we were just judging their respective first albums or early work in general, then it'd be harder. But the Smiths stayed much more NOT CRAP throughout their whole career than did REM, sooo...
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dr. Geek on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Dr. Geek wrote:the smiths suck! fuck the sminths! shitty eunuhc rock, man! whereis the balls!

I knows, ony the floor ,nect to the eer bottles, hitty pbr, ans!

I'm going to agree with the drunk above and vote for R.E.M.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:53 pm

Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby scntfc on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 am

who in fuck would pick stand or shiny happy people over how soon is now or panic? both decent bands, but where its really easy for me to remember the smiths' good songs, all i can remember about rem are the bad.
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby BadComrade on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:25 am

SecondEdition wrote:R.E.M. vs. The Smiths

Morrissey's acting a little too "serious" in the above clip. I like this one better, because it shows what a goofball he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hSDODDNs4

The Smiths are the better band. Everyone who has only heard The Smiths in passing thinks that all of their songs are "depressing", etc. Most of the people I know that like The Smiths thought they sucked, until they really listened to them. Michael Stipe was the drab guy being Mr. Artsy, wearing eyeliner and being pretty stiff on stage, and Morrissey was a fucking living cartoon character who was always poking fun at himself. Most of the "gloomy" Smiths songs that people reference without actually paying much attention to are usually pretty funny. The Smiths were a funny band, and REM were total pussies compared to The Smiths.

Think about it... who would win in a fist fight, the heroin addict bass player from The Smiths, or the bass player from REM? Johnny Marr could totally kick the guitar player from REM's ass, and Mike Joyce could have taken the drummer from REM out with a solid blow to the head.

Morrissey and Michael Stipe would probably just run for cover and have a lyric-off or something. Morrissey would win, because his lyrics are 100 times better than Stipe's.

OH, and as Ace always says: Songs with tambourine always rule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63gug4yq9ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXU5O-HMGbQ
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:14 am

The Smiths were fine but I'm going with REM.

Life's Rich Pageant was, start to finish, a perfect record, and it wasn't even the only great REM record.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Antero on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:02 pm

REM by a fucking mile.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Allan Sims on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:29 pm

tocharian wrote:Good luck finding a more piercing and forceful song about having to let someone go, or a lyric more devastating than “mmm bbuh mmm mmm bbuh mmm mmm/this choice mmmmm bbhuh mmmm.”

Stiped Your Post
Allan Sims
spoon bender
spoon bender

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:45 pm

^Salut!^

Both are great bands, but I find myself listening to early R.E.M. all the time. Their early jangle sound outjangles all other jangles. Their high-energy early shows have never ceased to amaze me. I don't much care if the bassist from The Smiths could out slappyfight Mike Mills...watch Mike Mills on David Letterman in 1983...he could run circles around some wussy junkie.

Stipe's voice is fantastic. I seem to enjoy it more and more over the years. Moz's pipes are amazing, but they're an acquired taste. Even now, Morrissey's voice is just a little too goofy for me to feel compelled to listen to on a frequent basis.

The Smiths are a great band, but I'll be listening to '80s R.E.M. pretty regularly until I'm old and grey...well, at least Chronic Town and Murmur.
Minotaur029

Postby tocharian on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 pm

Allan Sims wrote:
tocharian wrote:Good luck finding a more piercing and forceful song about having to let someone go, or a lyric more devastating than “mmm bbuh mmm mmm bbuh mmm mmm/this choice mmmmm bbhuh mmmm.”

Stiped Your Post

That's funny you would do that because for years I heard those lines as "go bill yourself another ho/these choices of mine," which, somehow, doesn't have quite the same impact.

One more thing I want to say about R.E.M.: their music has excellent haikyo.
tocharian

Postby enframed on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 pm

the smiths, easy. marr's guitar plus moz's wit and moping are far more entertaining. i can't listen to r.e.m. for five seconds without changing the station.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tommydski on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm

scntfc wrote:who in fuck would pick stand or shiny happy people over how soon is now or panic?

Swap those REM songs for 'Pretty Persuasion' or 'These Days' and it's a much tougher choice.

REM went onto make many more interesting albums than the Smiths and were overall much more consistent. The Smiths just shamelessly repackaged the same four or five records over and over again.

Like I said, the Smiths definitely had more than a few absolutely titanic songs. They might win a battle but REM would win the war.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby ironyengine on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:18 pm

BadComrade wrote:Think about it... who would win in a fist fight, the heroin addict bass player from The Smiths, or the bass player from REM? Johnny Marr could totally kick the guitar player from REM's ass, and Mike Joyce could have taken the drummer from REM out with a solid blow to the head.
\

So by this criteria I assume you like bands like the North Side Kings much, much more than those pussy english whiners the Smiths?
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine

Postby Tree on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:03 pm

There was a time when both of these bands meant a lot to me, and at their height of Treefandom, the Smiths meant much more. Then I turned 25.

As I get older, the Smiths seem sillier and sillier. I still like 'em, but never, ever listen to them.

scntfc wrote:who in fuck would pick stand or shiny happy people over how soon is now or panic?

Geeze, not me, but off the top of my head, I would take "Begin the Begin", "Fall on Me", "Pilgrimage", "Perfect Circle", "Pretty Persuasion", "7 Chinese Bros.", "Wolves, Lower", "Country Feedback", "Electrolite", "Nightswimming", "Find the River", "E-Bow the Letter", "Half a World Away", "Belong", "Pop Song 89", "Half a World Away" again, "Finest Worksong", "Gardening at Night", "Exhuming McCarthy", and maybe "Half a World Away" a third time over those songs.

Both made wiener music for sure, but REM is standing up much better for me. They also made some of their best well after they outlasted the Smiths.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Ace on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:28 am

BadComrade wrote:OH, and as Ace always says: Songs with tambourine always rule

Dammit! You can't defend the Smiths with my words (except that you just did)! Dammit Dammit Dammit!

Seriously people, with all the great undiscovered music out there you guys wanna harp on the Smiths and R.E.M.??? Just ignore it! Have fun listening to good music!!
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap