home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: The Arcade Fire

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
142
60%
NOT CRAP
94
40%
 
Total votes : 236

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:33 am

joelb wrote:
John George Peppers wrote:when the bands you enjoy are the same bands that guys like this.....
enjoy. It should be a major warning and red flag for you. Just something to think about, that's all.


Hmm, thought about it. And I've decided that this is possibly the most idiotic way to make decisions about what music to listen to.


I don't know man, take a look at those douchebags.
If I find out I have ANYTHING in common with some dudes like that I think I'm gonna start giving shit some extra thought.

kenoki wrote:perhaps i would feel differently about this awesome listening experience had i been privy to the knowledge that the arcade fire is considered the shit (rather than just "shit" as half of you seem to think... emphatically). all i knew was that some of my friends and enemies had them listed in the music section of their myspace profiles... so i stayed away. far away.

later... much, much later... i approached this with a completely blank slate--not knowing what they sounded like or if there was a huge amount of hooplah--and was personally very satisfied with the over-production and sound. i also heard the springsteen, u2 and (ahem) roy orbison influences... but in my world it was springsteen at nebraska's best, and u2 in their prime... and there's certainly nothing wrong with orbison.

after listening and deciding this is my favorite thing to listen to for the time being, i did some research and found the cover on time, and all the stuff about david byrne and david bowie being huge fans... and all i could think was that these guys probably deserve it. not because it's the most amazing thing in the universe, but i do see the universal appeal. it's really very good. i have not heard the first album yet. as soon as i am done digesting neon bible i will move backwards in time and see what these pop gems are all about.


did you fall down and hit your head recently or something?
The Arcade Fire are fucking stupid bland bullshit for aging hipsters.
They are like the musical equivalent of mime, a really shitty mime.
All the music in the world and you are listening to this shit?
Come on. Seriously, snap out of it.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby kenoki on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:48 am

Marsupialized wrote:did you fall down and hit your head recently or something?
The Arcade Fire are fucking stupid bland bullshit for aging hipsters.
They are like the musical equivalent of mime, a really shitty mime.
All the music in the world and you are listening to this shit?
Come on. Seriously, snap out of it.


marsupialized, you are living in backwards world. see, in my world, normal world, cocorosie is bad and arcade fire is good. what you are describing above is spot-on cocorosie and their fans. please do not try and drag me and my new favorite band into your sick world.
User avatar
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4671
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: florida

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:59 am

kenoki wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:did you fall down and hit your head recently or something?
The Arcade Fire are fucking stupid bland bullshit for aging hipsters.
They are like the musical equivalent of mime, a really shitty mime.
All the music in the world and you are listening to this shit?
Come on. Seriously, snap out of it.


marsupialized, you are living in backwards world. see, in my world, normal world, cocorosie is bad and arcade fire is good. what you are describing above is spot-on cocorosie and their fans. please do not try and drag me and my new favorite band into your sick world.


cocorosie and the arcade fire are not even living on the same planet.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:04 am

CocoRosie and Arcade Fire are both crap.

One of them is a lot crapper than the other.
HOUSTON_M
 

Postby kenoki on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:13 am

Marsupialized wrote:cocorosie and the arcade fire are not even living on the same planet.

so then we agree? yay! i am glad for you marsupialized.

this could be from severe lack of sleep (my boyfriend drank too much beer last night and went to sleep while i drank too much caffeine and did not) but, i can sort of sympathize with how you feel about this terrible band cocorosie now that i have found my beloved arcade fire. i mean, it's like true love. it doesn't matter what anyone says. i love it. of course, my favorite hated band is much better than your favorite hated band, but that's not the point.

this stupid record makes me want to throw my arms in the air and dance, and i have basically been resisting the urge to dance for several years since my entire peer group advised me not to dance in public anymore. i want to dance in public to arcade fire. if this means i have to wear a polo and drink starbucks, so be it. i've got lots of them and i am drinking an iced latte right now. the fact that i can tolerate a lyric that involves the words "sing" and "hallelujah" right next to each other is so unlike me. i feel like my dna is changing while i listen. magic.
User avatar
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4671
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: florida

Postby fedaykin13 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:29 am

Marsupialized wrote:God just when I think I'm getting thru to you people you pull some bullshit like furiously defend one of the most awful CRAP bands going.
Get your heads out of your fucking asses people, shit like this is the definition of fucking LAME.


this might be the funniest thing i've ever heard
well not really.
to think some internet buffoon thinks his silly little post means anything.

:roll:

get over yourself.

@Arcade Fire: on the fence still. I enjoy some songs but don't enjoy any of their entire albums.
Their new album has a few songs where they sound like Bruce Springsteen. - Just an observation
User avatar
fedaykin13
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: Athens, GA

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:17 am

You know, I heard someone (bad guitar player, bad singer) play a cover of "Crown of Love" from Funeral recently, and I was struck by how great the song was.

The lyrics (when not sung by a pretentious douchebag)...are awesome...heartfelt...baller.

"If you still want me...please forgive me...etc."

The production and Pitchfork vibe hid this greatness from me for a while.

With a cleaner, more simple vocal tone, I wonder if all of those melodramatic Funeral songs would be that good...granted some of the rockers on that album are just fine the way they are.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby STF on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:06 pm

I've listened to a total of about 30-40 seconds of The Arcade Fire and that was enough to vote CRAP.

That and the fact that Pitchfork love them - which pretty much automatically makes them CRAP.
User avatar
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:13 am
Location: Maine

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:19 pm

STF wrote:I've listened to a total of about 30-40 seconds of The Arcade Fire and that was enough to vote CRAP.

That and the fact that Pitchfork love them - which pretty much automatically makes them CRAP.


Not automatically, but a heavy Pitchfork endorsement should raise some red flags, for shizzie.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:
STF wrote:I've listened to a total of about 30-40 seconds of The Arcade Fire and that was enough to vote CRAP.

That and the fact that Pitchfork love them - which pretty much automatically makes them CRAP.


Not automatically, but a heavy Pitchfork endorsement should raise some red flags, for shizzie.


Pitchfork gets paid to write good things about these horrible bands
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby cwiko on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Tremendously overrated crap
User avatar
cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: chicago

Postby mr.arrison on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:23 pm

I saw them on some late night TV show and I didn't like that song. It was crappy and boring. That's all I know.

There must be something good about them if they've inspired this much rage in people here.

Waffle.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: rva usa

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:
STF wrote:I've listened to a total of about 30-40 seconds of The Arcade Fire and that was enough to vote CRAP.

That and the fact that Pitchfork love them - which pretty much automatically makes them CRAP.


Not automatically, but a heavy Pitchfork endorsement should raise some red flags, for shizzie.


Pitchfork gets paid to write good things about these horrible bands


Who should I make the check out to? I could have/book shows that attract a legion of hipsters to pee on while they read poetry on the floor with flashlights.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Steve V. wrote:Strangely enough, someone adding 'i's and 'z's to words raises red flags to me that the person adding extra characters is not to be trizzusted.


Eat me. Have fun booking a show in the Midwest someday, asshole.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby John George Peppers on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:54 pm

cwiko wrote:Tremendously overrated crap


STF wrote:I've listened to a total of about 30-40 seconds of The Arcade Fire and that was enough to vote CRAP.

That and the fact that Pitchfork love them - which pretty much automatically makes them CRAP.


mr.arrison wrote:I saw them on some late night TV show and I didn't like that song. It was crappy and boring. That's all I know.


And the bear can continue to relax. He really enjoys the vibe here today.

Minotaur029 wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:
STF wrote:I've listened to a total of about 30-40 seconds of The Arcade Fire and that was enough to vote CRAP.

That and the fact that Pitchfork love them - which pretty much automatically makes them CRAP.


Not automatically, but a heavy Pitchfork endorsement should raise some red flags, for shizzie.


Pitchfork gets paid to write good things about these horrible bands


Who should I make the check out to? I could have/book shows that attract a legion of hipsters to pee on while they read poetry on the floor with flashlights.


What was that name again and how much are they asking? I have the blank check right here.
User avatar
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:05 pm

kenoki wrote:this stupid record makes me want to throw my arms in the air and dance, and i have basically been resisting the urge to dance for several years since my entire peer group advised me not to dance in public anymore.


Wait, what??

Your peer group can fuck the hell off. Dancing in public is not something to be afraid of. Get yourself to the Atlantic, stat (it is the Atlantic, right?). When you find the short Finnish girl with blonde hair, amazing fashion taste and fetching glasses, introduce yourself as an internet pal of her ex-boyfriend and explain that you need new friends. She'll get over the creepiness fairly quickly and dance with you, i think.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
User avatar
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12022
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 am
Location: SEWI

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Steve V. wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:
Steve V. wrote:Strangely enough, someone adding 'i's and 'z's to words raises red flags to me that the person adding extra characters is not to be trizzusted.


Eat me. Have fun booking a show in the Midwest someday, asshole.


Hell, I don't even plan on waking up or getting out of bed most days. I just like to wallow in my misery and talk shit on message boards. Shows, especially shows in wikka-wikka-Wisconsin, are way far down on my list of priorities.

Lighten the fuck up. Just busting your balls a little bit.


You don't know shit about Wisconsin. If you knew something about Madison, you'd probably want to play there. Madison is between Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis (among other places). It's important.

You don't know shit about me. My domain is Chicago. I'm sitting in a Law Office doing work in between reading threads.

Bust my balls...my ass. I have a memory. This wouldn't be the first time. I read lots of threads...see lots of posts. I don't feel the need to comment on every single one...but know that I absorb information like a sponge.

So go ahead. "Bust my balls" some more.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm just warning you. People who question my integrity or my honesty (or lie to me) will get fucked seven ways from Sunday if I have anything to say about it.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby kenoki on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:38 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
kenoki wrote:this stupid record makes me want to throw my arms in the air and dance, and i have basically been resisting the urge to dance for several years since my entire peer group advised me not to dance in public anymore.


Wait, what??

Your peer group can fuck the hell off. Dancing in public is not something to be afraid of. Get yourself to the Atlantic, stat (it is the Atlantic, right?). When you find the short Finnish girl with blonde hair, amazing fashion taste and fetching glasses, introduce yourself as an internet pal of her ex-boyfriend and explain that you need new friends. She'll get over the creepiness fairly quickly and dance with you, i think.


ah yes, the atlantic. it's about 3 blocks over from me. a friend of mine recently lost his girlfriend to dancing at the atlantic. i will go there and look for your ex girlfriend and talk to her about my internet habits......
Last edited by kenoki on Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4671
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: florida

Postby eliya on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:48 am

This band is such a boring crap. their music is probably the most boring thing I've heard in the last 2 years. I think that their music is so boring that they became bored of it during recording it, that they had to call session musicians to do it.

They're crap, no waffles.
and anyone seen their cover to Guns of Brixton?

Now that's a huge piece of crap, look at the guy the the double bass, and that violin/viola player jumping there. YOU CAN BE CRAP, BUT DON'T RUIN OTHERS' SONGS!
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7895
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drew, kaleb, Majestic-12 [Bot], voncorn and 8 guests