Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Re: Band: The Arcade Fire

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:06 pm

SorenKierkegaardsMom wrote:"[Marsupialized] seems like a cool guy for the most part and I appreciate [his] passion, tongue in cheek or not, but [he seems] to have a bloated idea of [his] self-importance in the forums in general. If [he] really [believes] all these outlandish diatribes, [he takes himself] too seriously.

Andrew. wrote:There's a really lame degree of self-importance and pretentiousness to what they do, but at the same there's something genuinely heartfelt and well-intentioned mixed in. I don't expect the haters to follow the band's engagement with Haiti, but for those of us who do care about Haiti, it's interesting. And by interesting I mean from an objective perspective that can see their relation to Paul Farmer and Partners in Health in mixed terms. I'm shit with names but the woman-lady in the band unfortunately is a ditz on the subject. But their engagement with the situation with Haiti and the massive Haitian population in Montreal is genuine.

jimmy two hands wrote:It's great they are doing something with Haiti; maybe they could quit playing shitty music and dedicate themselves to improving Haiti, and make everyone's lives better in the process.... Maybe we should go bitch about the Arcade Fire in one of the communism threads.

Right? Not to be insensitive, but Andrew.'s Haiti comment is some borderline Sally Struthers shit.

What's next? "Why are you wasting your time shamelessly peddling your pedantically cared-for used Traynor heads on the For Sale: Things thread when slavery is still being practiced in Mauritania?!"

And what the fuck does Haiti have to do w/anything? My favorite local wine shop and importer both work w/Partners in Health, but if you thought the store sucked somehow, all the admirable, charitable, non-vinuous deeds in the world aren't gonna mean shit to you. Political consciousness--misguided or solid--never made me feel warmer about Sting or U2 or Tune-Yards or Yoko Ono or Crass or the Beastie Boys, although I can admittedly still dig "Reality Asylum" and perhaps stomach a few songs from Boy or October if they're playing at a bar (fire away!). Maybe Céline Dion will single-handedly rebuild the Philippines tomorrow, but it won't matter much when it comes to appraising her "art."

And then there's this:

Penny Rimbaud in Vice wrote:The sort of people who will be pissed off [at me] are the sort of people that are very happy to be working on a very small, almost ghetto existence within a particular genre of thought, a particular genre of action, a particular genre of behavior, and particularly a predictable set of political ideas.

It's strange and a little disconcerting to me how the far left often expects everyone else to embrace the same values and polemics that they do. Could you imagine some right-wing asshole getting on this forum and chastising us for making fun of Ted Nugent or some dick b/c we're not paying enough attention to fighting radical Islam or enforcing fetal rights? It'd be laughable! Guy (or girl) would get eaten alive around these parts.

I'm kidding and yes, exaggerating here, but I'm also not. I don't think everyone is nearly as politicized as Andrew. nor should he expect them to be. It'd be a pretty boring world. And this forum remains, first and foremost, a music forum, whether anyone likes it or not.

As for the dumbass barbs earlier in the thread about Marsupialized, the claim of him being "self-important" seem laughable at best. You don't think he's cracking himself up? And you don't also realize that, in his eyes, the Arcade Fire is simply emblematic of a much larger form of sucking?

Personally, I think he should feel pretty damn honored that some silly people here take his "outlandish diatribes" at face value. Read btw. the lines, friends. My man is exaggerating for comic effect. You are hearing his snarl but either ignoring or failing to see his smirk.

Oh yeah... the Arcade Fire still blew the last time I checked.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm

You would literally have to be the largest cunt on the face of planet Earth to see that Arcade Fire SNL performance and say 'Hey that's pretty good rock music', to not be completely repulsed and repelled by it tells me all I need to know about you as a person. What in the world could posisbly be lame to a human being in the world of music, if that horrid, dorky ass shitshow is completely acceptable? It is as bad as the acoustic Guns n' Roses thing, exactly as bad. In fact, I take that back, it's worse than the Guns N' Roses because at least they have an excuse, Arcade Fire have simply decided to make towering cunt music, paid a mint to bring in all the hottest cunt producers, the whole nine yards, and you God damn people lap it up like little brainless, tasteless, clueless fruit bats.
I am going to get some shirts made up that say, in big neon green letters 'ASK ME WHY I'M A CUNT' and start selling them here, I think.
There is good music and there is bad music, there is cool shit and there is dorky shit. Not everything is 'whatever, man' Some shit is just absolutely repugnant and incorrect, and it's not my fucking fault that some of you dipshits cannot tell any of it apart anymore.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby jeff_fox on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Marsupialized wrote:towering cunt music

Thank you. For naming my band. Or at least our concept album.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby addley on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm

I don't agree with what he said, but Soren is a good poster from what I've seen, and his band is cool. Marsupialized already told him he didn't care and to fuck off, fair enough, but what's the point of repeatedly going back and alienating him, or lumping him in with pricks like rotbrain?
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:Dr. Hook, I was thinking earlier.

Nope. Deacon Blue.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby P.J. Craven on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Twilight Sparkle wrote:I don't agree with what he said, but Soren is a good poster from what I've seen, and his band is cool. Marsupialized already told him he didn't care and to fuck off, fair enough, but what's the point of repeatedly going back and alienating him, or lumping him in with pricks like rotbrain?

I don't know much about Soren, but he has spunk. (I like spunk). If you circle the wagons around a guy who for years has ripped people here and spouted off all manner of racist and insensitive crap every time he himself receives a boo-boo, you decrease the quality of the conversation and you decrease the likelihood that people will speak freely.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby deep.BTUz on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:56 pm

lol @ the PRF hall monitors.

Yoga moms > old guys trying to use music taste to get over
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby P.J. Craven on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 pm

deep.BTUz wrote:lol @ the PRF hall monitors.

Yoga moms > old guys trying to use music taste to get over

Well, for any of Marsupalized's flaws, he is not a nearly indecipherable, would-be anonymous Internet globule.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:04 pm

deep.BTUz wrote:Yoga moms > old guys trying to use music taste to get over

Actually, I like to think of the Arcade Fire's target audience as the mediocrity that ensues when the former ends up marrying the latter... Makes retiring homemakers hung up on the '80s irony thing still feel hip and relevant and fresh (see also: LCD Soundsystem) while giving the old man something to bitch about at the dinner table.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby DrAwkward on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:08 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Personally, I think he should feel pretty damn honored that some silly people here take his "outlandish diatribes" at face value. Read btw. the lines, friends. My man is exaggerating for comic effect. You are hearing his snarl but either ignoring or failing to see his smirk.

Honestly.

Also, i try to avoid casual use of the "c" word, but "towering cunt music" is a glorious turn of phrase.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby segaface on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Crap, 0 :WF: . This band, she is so boring.
segaface
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby deep.BTUz on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:39 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
deep.BTUz wrote:Yoga moms > old guys trying to use music taste to get over

Actually, I like to think of the Arcade Fire's target audience as the mediocrity that ensues when the former ends up marrying the latter... Makes retiring homemakers hung up on the '80s irony thing still feel hip and relevant and fresh (see also: LCD Soundsystem) while giving the old man something to bitch about at the dinner table.

yeah, uh huh

Marsupialized wrote:
If that is actual music to you, what on Earth would be boring yoga Mom dickhead clothing store horseshit?

That's where I got 'yoga mom' from. What on earth is wrong or boring about a mother doing yoga?

I'm not a trained therapist, so I can't really even get started on what all the bizarre phallic imagery being thrown might mean.

Yikes and no thank you.
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:28 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote:Personally, I think he should feel pretty damn honored that some silly people here take his "outlandish diatribes" at face value. Read btw. the lines, friends. My man is exaggerating for comic effect. You are hearing his snarl but either ignoring or failing to see his smirk.

Honestly.

Also, i try to avoid casual use of the "c" word, but "towering cunt music" is a glorious turn of phrase.

I truly hate the C word and never, ever use it and yet it was the only word that made any sort of sense here. This is truly music for cunts. The existence of this Christian rock level Caucasian dorkery, it's acceptance as valid rock music in the secular world, it's the only word that comes out when I look at this:

and try to explain what I am feeling to someone.

CUNT

That dude looks like a cunt, that band sounds like cunts and anyone who's shiny white perineum would be made atingle by it's fluttering tones would automatically have to be a God damn cunt.

The shit that sounds like Springsteen, the fake Smiths sounding shit and now the Christian disco shit, all wild, unrestrained visions of cuntasia, top to bottom, start to finish.
Marsupialized

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Image

CUNT

... Or, at very least, mighty twatty.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:57 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Image

CUNT

... Or, at very least, mighty twatty.

It's incredible (if not inaccurate) that they'd want to quote Zoo TV U2 and Monster era REM.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby wellsyuk on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:29 am

It's like what happens when you cross the streams of U2, Mumford & Sons and Coldplay. And there ain't much worse than that.
wellsyuk
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:52 am

I'm surprised all of this hatred for Arcade Fuego hasn't been expressed in the Radiohead thread.

You guys sat around and watched that shitty band prance right by all of your fucking heads without flinching, tickling your noses with feathers like some wack slut in a strip club on halloween.

Where's all the Radiohead hate?

Attacking Arcade Fire is like attacking a popular bum in your city.

Why not go for the "people" that made that shit happen in the first place?

Radiohead.

Let's hear it...
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby djimbe on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Where's all the Radiohead hate?

Let's hear it...

I'll jump on that bandwagon all day. The musics Radiohead makes is crap, has always been crap, and likely always will be crap. I can't keep up with these new bands, but when I hear "whiny and boring", Radiohead is the FIRST thing I think of.

yeah, yeah, take it to the right thread...
djimbe
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 am

The only Radiohead song I am aware of ever hearing is that Creep song from like 1992 or whatever. That is an ok song. I hear these Arcade Fire assholes at least 75 times a day at work, every station, the light FM secretary waiting room station plays them, XRT plays them, pretty sure they are on the urban R&b and country stations, as well, so no matter who gets to the radio first, 'Here's Arcade Fire with their new single 'Piddlywinker'...'
I have no clue what Radiohead sounds like beyond 'Creep', and the only time I hear the name mentioned it's XRT announcing a concert and that is that. WHATEVER they are doing they are keeping it out of my face and I cannot hate on that.
Marsupialized

Postby kerble on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 am

Twilight Sparkle wrote:I don't agree with what he said, but Soren is a good poster from what I've seen, and his band is cool. Marsupialized already told him he didn't care and to fuck off, fair enough, but what's the point of repeatedly going back and alienating him, or lumping him in with pricks like rotbrain?

eh, a lateral casualty of my 'scorched earth' tactics. For what it's worth, I like SK'smom's posts in general, an actually thought there was some really good insight to what she wrote. That said, tacking it onto "boy you have a real bloated sense of self-importance" was probably what resonated with the double trolling from encalmo and rotbrain, who put no effort into their nonsense. I apologize, but I ain't sorry.

deep.BTUz wrote:lol @ the PRF hall monitors.

If you don't like the way I moderate discussion, you're free to go somewhere else. Let me know when you have something interesting to say. It happens, few and far between, but it does happen.

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Radiohead.

Let's hear it...

I like them. Pretty good band.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap