Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Re: Band: The Arcade Fire

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:35 am

Radiohead did some good stuff between The Bends and Kid A. The first album sucks, and the stuff after Kid A is pretty forgettable, and about half of Kid A is meh. I haven't heard Funeral to compare it to, but I can say with a decent amount of certainty that Radiohead is better than Arcade fire by leaps and bounds.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Dave N. on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:43 am

Can't stand Radiohead, and most of it has to do with Yorke's voice. Musically, interesting things happen, but most of what I've heard sounds cold to me (this is not a cue to start posting links, Radiohead fan). I just can't get past the precious whine.

As for Arcade Fire, their music never did it for me. Crap, :WF: 5 for giving a bunch of money to Haiti disaster relief.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:03 am

I don't like Radiohead, but that bands fits quite squarely in the nothing-new pantheon of mopey UK stuff that's been commonplace since the 1980s. And there are some actual moments of enjoyable guitar action here and there btw. the awfulness. One of the group's songs also has nearly the exact same chord progression as Scratch Acid's "Owner's Lament," for whatever that's worth.

I find Radiohead more or less free of the color-coordinated musical-theater affectations that plague the Arcade Fire.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm

kerble wrote:
rotbrain wrote:
encalmo wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:
SorenKierkegaardsMom wrote:You seem like a cool guy for the most part and I appreciate your passion, tongue in cheek or not, but you seem to have a bloated idea of your self-importance in the forums in general. If you really believe all these outlandish diatribes, you take yourself too seriously. And your word is given way too much blind respect in general because you've established yourself as a forum figurehead. Every bit as boring as what you describe is band after unoriginal band of jaded self-appointed punks complacent in what their idea of punk is because the punk establishment has told them how to sound, and it all ends up sounding like the same band. Which isn't very punk at all, but empty lip service to a congregation that shouldn't exist to begin with. To each his own muse.

I was a fan of their first two albums and have lost interest with what I've heard since then. But at least they are doing their own thing and not somebody else's.

Well then ignore me fuck you fuck do I care

37,756 posts but what he really wants is to be ignored.

Yeah, that works out to 13 a day - get a life!

I'm sorry, why don't the three of you cunts remind me what you've done for this board and this community? Oh wait...that's right...nothing. The dude you're bagging on got TAR to reunite, among other things, and raised thousands in money for multiple charities over the past half-decade with this board as the ground zero for getting a crew assembled and motivated and working together. He did it for free, too. So yeah, we let the hyperbole slide.

And you useless cunts did....oh wait...that's right....nothing.

Go fuck yourselves, you amateur hour, armchair quarterback slags. I'd take a bullet for him, and I wouldn't even remember your names if push came to it.

But yeah, "the Suburbs" is a pretty good song.

For what it's worth, the guys you're attacking just joined the board, so they don't know all the "rules" yet. We've heard time and again what a great, stand up guy Marsup is in real life, but he comes off as an internet bully on here. It took these "newbies" about five minutes to figure it out. That's a pretty big disparity and one that you are reinforcing. One of these "personas" is obviously fake and it's probably the internet one. I'm not really here to pyschoanalyze the guy though, i have more of a problem with your "what have you done for this board" comment.
Like i said, they just joined and probably don't live in Chicago. What are they supposed to do, fly up every weekend and polish aluminum guitars to win your respect. Give em time instead of running off people who might possibly be good contributors in the future. This is a very chicago centric board, and with good reason, but there are alot of us that live far away and can't really afford to fly up for the BBQ's, Prf shows, etc. I'd love to, but i just can't make that work in my life. Honestly, my "scene" needs way more help than the Chicago scene anyways, but there's so few people from my area on this board that even if we were to do "something cool" it probably wouldn't even be a blip on your radar. This board is already clique-ish enough without the double standards and cronyism.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Andrew. on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:18 pm

^ Kind of agree with the above, and I've been around since 2004. Marsupe used to be an outright Islamophobic racist on the board. He's come a long ways.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 pm

I like Kid A and parts of [i]Amnesiac[i]. Radiohead have written some neat basslines. There was a point where they seemed to be completely unsure of what kind of band they were, which made them quite interesting. Thom Yorke's voice is best in small doses. They are better than The Arcade Fire.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jeff_fox on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Like i said, they just joined and probably don't live in Chicago. What are they supposed to do, fly up every weekend and polish aluminum guitars to win your respect. Give em time instead of running off people who might possibly be good contributors in the future. This is a very chicago centric board, and with good reason, but there are alot of us that live far away and can't really afford to fly up for the BBQ's, Prf shows, etc. I'd love to, but i just can't make that work in my life. Honestly, my "scene" needs way more help than the Chicago scene anyways, but there's so few people from my area on this board that even if we were to do "something cool" it probably wouldn't even be a blip on your radar. This board is already clique-ish enough without the double standards and cronyism.

There are cool people on the forum and there are cunts. Is that the cliquishness you're talking about? There are people here from all over the world that I've never met in person (e.g. Dovey, Speedie, dski, Boombats, Sleepkid, Bernardo, Benadrian) that I feel like I know personally and they all seem like great dudes. Then there are a bunch that just seem like miserable pricks all the time. Yes: living in Chicago, we have more opportunity for forum members to see our other sides, independent of how we come across on the forum. If you live on the other side of the globe and don't interact with any forum members in real life, all we're gonna know about is your persona here and there's really no reason to assume you're a good dude and not just a troll: it's the internet. I wasn't around here back then, but from everything I've heard, 'sup was considered a troll until he started 'doing real things' around here. It's not just a chicago clique. More than half of the FM's I consider friends are from outside of chicago.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Dovey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:There are cool people on the forum and there are cunts. Is that the cliquishness you're talking about? There are people here from all over the world that I've never met in person (e.g. Dovey, Speedie, dski, Boombats, Sleepkid, Bernardo, Benadrian) that I feel like I know personally and they all seem like great dudes.

D'awwww c'mere and gimme a hug you big galoot
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby seanurban on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Andrew. wrote:^ Kind of agree with the above, and I've been around since 2004. Marsupe used to be an outright Islamophobic racist on the board. He's come a long ways.

I think he would say we have come around. And I'd agree (With you both).
And Radiohead is a good band (anyone who wasn't living in a cave at the end of the last century has heard karma police or paranoid android). Pretentious? If you say so, but they can back it up. They've earned it.
These weenies? Crap
seanurban
King High

Postby Speedie on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Dovey wrote:
EmpireStateTroopers wrote:There are cool people on the forum and there are cunts. Is that the cliquishness you're talking about? There are people here from all over the world that I've never met in person (e.g. Dovey, Speedie, dski, Boombats, Sleepkid, Bernardo, Benadrian) that I feel like I know personally and they all seem like great dudes.

D'awwww c'mere and gimme a hug you big galoot

*Splurt!*
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Like i said, they just joined and probably don't live in Chicago. What are they supposed to do, fly up every weekend and polish aluminum guitars to win your respect. Give em time instead of running off people who might possibly be good contributors in the future. This is a very chicago centric board, and with good reason, but there are alot of us that live far away and can't really afford to fly up for the BBQ's, Prf shows, etc. I'd love to, but i just can't make that work in my life. Honestly, my "scene" needs way more help than the Chicago scene anyways, but there's so few people from my area on this board that even if we were to do "something cool" it probably wouldn't even be a blip on your radar. This board is already clique-ish enough without the double standards and cronyism.

There are cool people on the forum and there are cunts. Is that the cliquishness you're talking about? There are people here from all over the world that I've never met in person (e.g. Dovey, Speedie, dski, Boombats, Sleepkid, Bernardo, Benadrian) that I feel like I know personally and they all seem like great dudes. Then there are a bunch that just seem like miserable pricks all the time. Yes: living in Chicago, we have more opportunity for forum members to see our other sides, independent of how we come across on the forum. If you live on the other side of the globe and don't interact with any forum members in real life, all we're gonna know about is your persona here and there's really no reason to assume you're a good dude and not just a troll: it's the internet. I wasn't around here back then, but from everything I've heard, 'sup was considered a troll until he started 'doing real things' around here. It's not just a chicago clique. More than half of the FM's I consider friends are from outside of chicago.

I think i already summed it up pretty well and i think you already know what i mean. If these guys all over the world, that you seem to like, started talking shit in the same way he does, they wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. They wouldn't get a "pass" as Kerble put it. That's a double standard and it's a double standard based on a personal relationship, a personal relationship that most of us are not afforded, which is called cronyism. There's obviously a difference between our real personalities and our internet "personas," but when the disparity between the two is so huge, then i have no other option than to assume the stereotypical "big man behind a computer" idea. A rose, is a rose, is a rose, etc.
Riff Magnum

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 pm

seanurban wrote:
Andrew. wrote:^ Kind of agree with the above, and I've been around since 2004. Marsupe used to be an outright Islamophobic racist on the board. He's come a long ways.

I think he would say we have come around. And I'd agree (With you both).
And Radiohead is a good band (anyone who wasn't living in a cave at the end of the last century has heard karma police or paranoid android). Pretentious? If you say so, but they can back it up. They've earned it.
These weenies? Crap

Yeah, i like Radiohead. Not everything they've done is great and Yorkes spastic affectations when playing live are kinda annoying, but they're light years ahead of Arcade Fire. Radiohead can rock better when they want too and they can do the weirdness better when they want as well. What does Arcade Fire do "well?"
Riff Magnum

Postby Andrew. on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
I think i already summed it up pretty well and i think you already know what i mean. If these guys all over the world, that you seem to like, started talking shit in the same way he does, they wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. They wouldn't get a "pass" as Kerble put it. That's a double standard and it's a double standard based on a personal relationship, a personal relationship that most of us are not afforded, which is called cronyism. There's obviously a difference between our real personalities and our internet "personas," but when the disparity between the two is so huge, then i have no other option than to assume the stereotypical "big man behind a computer" idea. A rose, is a rose, is a rose, etc.

I lived in Chicago for a while, hung out with Kerble (who's awesome), met Jonah (Marsupe) once at a show (he was nice), but again, I have to agree.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:

I lived in Chicago for a while, hung out with Kerble (who's awesome), met Jonah (Marsupe) once at a show (he was nice), but again, I have to agree.

Yeah, i lived in Chicago from 1999-2002. Kinda wish i would've stayed, although i couldn't afford it and i really love Texas. Still have family in southern Illinois, so maybe i'll be able to make it up for a PRF event if the timing is right.
Riff Magnum

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:13 am

Hey guys, maybe crying will help
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby numberthirty on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:14 am

Anyone ever read Arkham Asylum?

Near the start of the tale, the Joker calls Batman a tight ass and gooses him. Batman flips out and yells "Don't Touch Me!"

This feels like that. You're dressed as a bat in an insane asylum, and getting goosed is your problem?

That's how this feels to me.

Real Talk -

Do not search "Nerbly Bear".
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:40 am

Marsupialized wrote:Hey guys, maybe crying will help

You sure do alot of crying, and bitching, and complaining. My guess is your a small man who can't back up his shit talking in real life, so you get on here and play the toughie.
Get a fucking talk show already and spare us the rants.
Riff Magnum

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:42 am

Riff Magnum wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Hey guys, maybe crying will help

You sure do alot of crying, and bitching, and complaining. My guess is your a small man who can't back up his shit talking in real life, so you get on here and play the toughie.
Get a fucking talk show already and spare us the rants.

I agree with you about Arcade Fire being total garbage, but the way you go about your critique is similar to something i'd hear my children say.
Riff Magnum

Postby addley on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:11 am

Marsupialized wrote:maybe crying will help

Least favorite Minutemen song.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby BobbyPeru on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:28 am

I've never heard this band.. but wow, 28 pages??
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap