60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Re: Band: The Arcade Fire

Postby scott on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:28 am

Riff Magnum wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Hey guys, maybe crying will help

You sure do alot of crying, and bitching, and complaining. My guess is your a small man who can't back up his shit talking in real life, so you get on here and play the toughie.
Get a fucking talk show already and spare us the rants.

You're totally right. He's a tiny man in real life. Like literally, the smallest dick I've ever seen, like only 8" or something ridiculous like that. It's why he preys on bands like the Arcade Fire, cause he's jealous of their gigantic 27" cocks.

His talk show was a total flop, just like everything else he's done. If I remember right, Comedy Central cut it after only 12 seasons because it was too... Something or other. I forget the exact reason. Too awesome or something.

Honestly I don't think anyone here likes Supe at all. Like not even one person, really. But everybody's all "oh, he's the best, he's a real great guy" and whatever bullshit while they cower in fear. You've seen all those videos of FMSteve Albini giving him a guitar that everybody chipped in to have built for him, and also some little plink plink baby toy instrument signed by CocoRosie right? The fucked up thing is even FMSA doesn't like him, but again, totally scared of him and cowering in fear and shit.

I guess it all comes back to that time when that one dude here was talking shit on Marsupialized and then turned up dead on the doorstep of Electrical Audio with his hands cut off and sewed onto his tits. Ever since then we pretty much all just stay in line, on account of not wanting to be murdered. Also if I remember right, he had chopped off the dude's dick, too. I can't for the life of me remember if this guy was the one where FMMarsupialized ate the dude's severed cock to steal his soul and gain all his power, or the one where FMM sewed this dude's dick onto one of his own tits for whatever insane reason. But it was all covered towards the end of season three of his talkshow, you should check it out.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby John W. on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 am

Dude breaks up some of the dour brinksmanship that gives me headache around here. He's having fun talking shit about bands. That's like the oldest pastime in the world for people who dig music. I've had some of the biggest laughs in the world listening to my own friends mercilessly go off on the music that blows my skirt up.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 am

Awright, kumbaya everybody, let's hug it out and get back to slagging on bad music for a bit, right?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby HOUSTON_M on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:34 am

jimmy two hands wrote:It's great they are doing something with Haiti; maybe they could quit playing shitty music and dedicate themselves to improving Haiti, and make everyone's lives better in the process.

Maybe both Haiti and the Arcade Fire could quit existing and make the world a better place.
HOUSTON_M

Postby numberthirty on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 am

Riff Magnum wrote:

You sure do alot of crying, and bitching, and complaining. My guess is your a small man who can't back up his shit talking in real life, so you get on here and play the toughie.

Lemme get this straight.

A goofy critical assessment of something as silly as this band is being a "toughie"?

How does that work?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby HOUSTON_M on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:35 am

Riff Magnum wrote:

I would bet good money that Marsupialized would say that stuff to the Arcade Fire's faces.
HOUSTON_M

Postby kerble on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 am

I was going to write a thorough point by point takedown response to Riff Magnum's bullshit, but instead a simple "fuck you. You're wrong and your arguments are based on nothing substantial, pretty much straight across the board." is all you're gonna get.

HOUSTON_M, why don't you take your stupid cracker ass and leave? I asked you nicely once, but your bullshit needs to go, you racist piece of shit.

Flamethrower. I need a fucking flamethrower.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby HOUSTON_M on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 am

I wasn't seriously suggesting that either Haiti or the subject of the thread stop existing but I don't hold either the country or the band in high regard and am not going to pretend that I do.
HOUSTON_M

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:19 am

Has society (or at least people interested in underground rock) really become this wimpy? I've sat around at a bar and talked way more severe shit about bands w/my friends--occasionally even about a band in which a friend of mine has performed--on many an occasion. It's fun and sometimes constructive, even if it's also just as often nonsense.

But are some people here really THAT humorless and sensitive that they cannot handle such behavior? What more appropriate place to rant than on an Internet forum? What the fuck? Quit telling others how to criticize and conduct themselves. I'm surprised nobody has bandied about the all-purpose term "hater" yet--the ultimate auto-touché whenever someone's criticism of something else makes a person feel ridiculously defensive. Marsupialized--whom, I should add, I have never once met--is not attacking anyone here personally; he just really hates this band. So what? Yet suddenly, his alleged if bygone "outright Islamophobic [racism]" is somehow relevant and barbs about his ego and his dick become fair game. Way to overreact and take one man's venting a little too personally.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:22 am

HOUSTON_M wrote:I wasn't seriously suggesting that either Haiti or the subject of the thread stop existing but I don't hold either the country or the band in high regard and am not going to pretend that I do.

Someone needs to introduce you to the joys of griot w/sour orange.

Can't help you w/the Arcade Fire, unfortunately.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 am

numberthirty wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:

Lemme get this straight.

A goofy critical assessment of something as silly as this band is being a "toughie"?

How does that work?

I agreed with the initial "assessment" he made of the band. I was fresh off of seeing them on SNL and his vitriol resonated at the time. Going back and reading it now, it's not critical or goofy. It's just mean spirited rambling and a good portion of "you gotta be a pussy to like this band." Then some people call him out on his "persona," then some other people come in and tell those people to fuck off "Sup is cool," then i try to respond to those people and get told to "fuck off" as well.
In order to respond to those people i had to try and break down the real personality vs. the internet persona. That's where i made my mistake. Dude seems funny in a dickhead sorta way, i get that, and 9 times out of 10 i appreciate his perspective or at least am entertained by it, but the cavalry that keeps charging in is not funny or entertaining and just serves to reinforce the points I, and others, have made in that regard.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:49 am

HOUSTON_M wrote:I wasn't seriously suggesting that either Haiti or the subject of the thread stop existing but I don't hold either the country or the band in high regard and am not going to pretend that I do.

Haiti kicked out the French in a slave revolt in the early 19th century. I'm just throwing this out there because you seem like the type of guy who hates the French. On the other hand, you seem like the type of guy who likes slavery, so maybe it's a wash.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:06 pm

^^^
Alot of that was over my head. LOL!!! But i heard an Arcade Fire song on local radio the other day and even though i didn't like it, it wasn't nearly as offensive as seeing them on SNL. Not sure if it was the "costumes," or maybe just the song choice/live sound mix, but i could actually hear a song when played on the radio. I could hear drums and guitars. It was still pretty bad to my ears, but not hate worthy.
Riff Magnum

Postby HOUSTON_M on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:

Haiti kicked out the French in a slave revolt in the early 19th century. I'm just throwing this out there because you seem like the type of guy who hates the French. On the other hand, you seem like the type of guy who likes slavery, so maybe it's a wash.

The French have an impressive martial and intellectual history but I've seen their football and rugby teams combine not-arsedness and arrogance in a way that seemed to me to be very French.

I also admire the seriousness with which they take care of their language. I like a fair amount of their cinema too.

I'm against slavery, debt bondage, dehumanizing work and think that the slaves were right to revolt in order to live free.

But I see no evidence that their descendants have the organizational complexity to run a prosperous country.
HOUSTON_M

Postby scott on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 pm

big_dave wrote: Being in an indie or punk band now requires dressing up and copying mannerisms from decades and decades, and it's inevitable that a band would...

No, not at all actually. Well if you have any sense of self, I mean. Being in an indie or punk band doesn't *require* anything other than playing some music in an indie or punk band. Same as always
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby steelglam on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 pm

big_dave wrote:I'm not bothered by the Arcade Fire as much as some people, but I do remember when the post-punk revival turns into theatre club. The "Dress up as Keith Levene" Go4 era, where every band had a "Natural's Not In It" and people sincerely cared about Pitchfork, lead so easily into just plain "dress up" - dressing up as postpunks and imitating old bands leads so naturally into theatre it was not at all surprising that they went that way, when everything so tightly focused on imitation, acting, looking the right way...Being in an indie or punk band now requires dressing up and copying mannerisms from decades and decades, and it's inevitable that a band would take that "indie" or "punk" is now as much theatre and let's pretend as it is music and make it writ large for a larger, older, audience.

So, just wondering, is it the dressing up like specific antecedents aspect that you find to be objectionable, or is it dressing up in general?
steelglam
pope
pope

Postby steelglam on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:59 pm

big_dave wrote:
steelglam wrote:So, just wondering, is it the dressing up like specific antecedents aspect that you find to be objectionable, or is it dressing up in general?

I don't find it objectionable, I was just making an observation. It's an element of something that isn't for me. I find the Arcade Fire just mildly embarrassing.

Got it. I think that I go either way on these kind of things. The dress-up thing is also "an element of something that isn't for me," as you put it. At the same time, I recognize that some great music has been made by people that played dress up, were theatrical, or were fashion-conscious on stage (and sometimes in real life). Though my gut reaction to hipster dress code is negative.
steelglam
pope
pope

Postby jurgis rudkus on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Just now realized that krs is in fact an invention by Supe -- a yang to his own yin.

Brilliant!
Honk If You Demand Satisfaction

There is an epidemic of people being 'offended' by things as some kind of hobby.
- Mark Kozelek
jurgis rudkus

Postby Isabelle Gall on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm

scott wrote:Being in an indie or punk band doesn't *require* anything other than playing some music in an indie or punk band. Same as always

Right, purist. Same as always.

The Arcade Fire seemed intent on playing stadium material right from their inception so good on them for making it, seems like a pretty straightforward trajectory to me. Not really my thing although I'm impressed by how much they make people shit their pants.

They should study the Simple Minds back catalogue, seriously. If they haven't already.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:26 pm

krs wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote:Marsupialized--whom, I should add, I have never once met--is not attacking anyone here personally

I suggest actually reading his posts before commenting on them.

Critiquing music is not the problem. Personal attacks relating to the the music a person listens to is. It's about as uninteresting to read and as juvenile as it gets. The high school clique revisited. Maybe that's what you are into. I don't know. It should not have to be pointed out to you but - the world a is huge place. People like all manner of art. This choice does not make them better or worse than anyone else.

We expect this sort of behavior from a drug-addled burn-out like Marsuplialized. The damage done over the years makes him a very probable lost cause in terms of being able to reason why it might be improper to cast blanket judgements over people based on relatively trivial matters. I think most of you are better than that.

Oh, I've read plenty of them. (Haven't we all?) He's exaggerating and attacking a vague group of people who happen to like some band, not pummeling anyone specific, based on who they actually are. This is different than singling out someone's ego or leveling vague charges of racism and not-so-vague charges of substance abuse at them. His tirades seem pretty broad. They're a big goof, just some guy going off, like an angry comedian. What's the problem here? It's someone shooting his mouth off. And don't play devil's advocate and hypothetically defend Arcade Fire fans, either; presumably, some of them are actually intelligent people who are plenty capable of defending themselves.

I'm aware that the world is quite big and people's aesthetics are quite varied, but--particularly if you travel a lot--you'll find that people deriding other people's tastes is a fairly universal thing, whether you're in Central Asia or South Central Los Angeles.

In short, I don't think these "blanket judgements" made by Marsupialized are meant to be taken quite so literally. Roll your eyes at him if you like and tell him why you do not agree. But trying to shut him up b/c you think he's somehow being improper just seems like an odd and thin-skinned reaction.
OrthodoxEaster

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap