69%
Too subtle for my tastes
31%

Total votes : 35

Re: Film: Tommy Wiseau's "The Room"

Postby pwalshj on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 pm

TheMilford wrote:Have any of you checked this out?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disaster_Artist

The audiobook is amazing. I've been enjoying it while working in the shop…

In May 2014, an audiobook version of The Disaster Artist was released by Tantor Audio, with Greg Sestero reading the story. Sestero's impression of Tommy Wiseau in the audiobook has received praise from critics...

This story is fascinating… strong recommend!

This is incredible. His impression is hilarious. I'm 3.5 hours into a binge. I can't shut it off!
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby TheMilford on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:44 pm

pwalshj wrote:
TheMilford wrote:Have any of you checked this out?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disaster_Artist

The audiobook is amazing. I've been enjoying it while working in the shop…

In May 2014, an audiobook version of The Disaster Artist was released by Tantor Audio, with Greg Sestero reading the story. Sestero's impression of Tommy Wiseau in the audiobook has received praise from critics...

This story is fascinating… strong recommend!

This is incredible. His impression is hilarious. I'm 3.5 hours into a binge. I can't shut it off!

Glad you like… you guys absolutely have to get this guy on LftB.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby lemur68 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm

I haven't watched it all the way through, I've only watched clips.

But man, I so enjoy seeing the smoking craters that are usually the result of unchecked hubris meeting total incompetence.

Except for the George W. Bush administration, that wasn't so enjoyable.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby pwalshj on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:39 am

It's $25 for the 11.5 hour read. I pirated it to check it out. I purchased inside of one hour. I see myself listening to this multiple times. Ideally you should see the whole movie first to understand a bunch of it but it's a hilarious trainwreck regardless. Look, get a couple of like-minded friends to watch with and keep your finger on the pause button. It's the ultimate vanity project and makes every viewer feel like a genius.

Sestero's impersonation of Wiseau is worth the price of admission alone but it's also structured really well. If you are a "fan" of the film (and I am) this fills in so many blanks. Honestly, his voice acting is so good that you easily suspend disbelief and differentiate the characters. No one was more surprised than me.

It's brilliant that the shittiest film ever made is still getting Greg Sestero heat in spite of his initial reservations/obligations.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj

Postby pwalshj on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:46 am

Oh. BTW, my new band is called Sestero. Patent Pending, TM, all that. I'll bring this post to court.
pwalshj

Postby lemur68 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:03 pm

don't TAHCH me mudderfahkr
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby numberthirty on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:34 am

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:43 am

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 am

I was just reading that interview, which is more than a little amazing. Haven't seen The Room yet, found out about this guy from the Tim and Eric episode.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby mrcancelled on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Sestero is doing a book thing at the Music Box in Chicago tonight, along with a screening of The Room.
mrcancelled
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:24 pm

The Room is neat if you watch it with someone who has never seen it before. There's a captivating sort of shittiness to it.

I still don't understand the title and I love that.

The general trend of drawing entertainment out of ineptitude has left me dry and bitter. My friends are obsessed with watching stupid, shallow bullshit and mocking it. The Room may be an exception because one gets the feeling that the entire cast was lost. They tried, but even as they were trying, they had no clue what was going on. I like that aspect of it, versus the jaw-dropping bad acting in Troll 2 or the blasé effects of Birdemic.

Still, anything that's "so bad it's good" has to verge on Crap. Stupid concept, entirely misses the point that Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and The Shaggs laid out.

So yeah, Not Crap, but just barely.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Chromodynamic on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:10 am

sulfur)addict wrote:...The general trend of drawing entertainment out of ineptitude has left me dry and bitter. My friends are obsessed with watching stupid, shallow bullshit and mocking it...

Yeah, that kind of shtick I find to be utterly exasperating. It will always remind me of the quote, “Irony is the song of a bird that has come to love its cage.”
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tidalcast on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:17 am

Chromodynamic wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:...The general trend of drawing entertainment out of ineptitude has left me dry and bitter. My friends are obsessed with watching stupid, shallow bullshit and mocking it...

Yeah, that kind of shtick I find to be utterly exasperating. It will always remind me of the quote, “Irony is the song of a bird that has come to love its cage.”

It depends on the intent of it, I think, because genuine effort shines through and schtick falls flat. The Room is enjoyable for me because I'm watching people try so hard to spin hay into gold and just botching it through no fault of their own. Tommy Wiseau is trying to get a point across with his writing, and he just can't and it turns into this bizarre thing. Troll 2 is similar, though less so(less talented actors, though the story behind Troll 2 gets fascinating, with the Italian directors refusing to let people who spoke English rework the dialogue at all). Birdemic and other schlock like Sharknado is just not funny to me, and I don't get it.
tidalcast
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby Eric Fundingsland on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:36 am

I just read "The Disaster Artist" a few weeks back. I really loved it, especially when it started turning south in their relationship and Greg thought he was going to get "Ripleyed". It even made me want to watch that movie again - and guess what? It still is terrible. Not good terrible, just terrible. Showgirls bad.
Your ninja was supposed to destroy Robocop.
Eric Fundingsland
viscount
viscount

Postby Chromodynamic on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Chromodynamic wrote:

I'm recognizing my own hypocrisy here since I've posted about some really bad movies for hilarity's sake. Something like The Room or anything by Neil Breen is worthy of being watched with friends and mocked, just not all the time; it's also to be differentiated from what I witnessed the other night: a bunch of jerkoffs watching/making fun of Richard Simmon's "Sweating to the Oldies III" at a bar.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tania on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm

i've watched pretty much exclusively really, really stupid movies for years because ADHD combined with being a forever grad student means i don't really have the attention span or mental energy for movies that i'm supposed to think really hard about while watching. i don't think i'm a dumb person, when i feel like enjoying something in like a critical and thoughtful way i'll usually read a book or watch a TV show instead, but anything longer than like 45 minutes is for pure stupid enjoyment and checking out from whatever's got me mentally exhausted in my life. like, my actual, unironic favourite movie ever is road house so that probably tells you everything you need to know about me and my taste in movies.

anyway, the room is fine. it's funny. i've seen it infinity times by now and i laugh whenever i watch it. it's made my life better by being a thing that exists. that's ok with me.
tania
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby bishopdante on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:14 am

All it took was a brief snippet of watching that deluded work of record-setting trashiness to know that I really do not need to have my brain further haunted by that level of cringe. I actually experienced a sense of terrible sadness and fear in relation to that earnestly suicidal work of inept moviemaking.

If you like comically bad '80s movies, such as Troll 2, I highly recommend Scanners 3. It's a complete farce, with more ham acting and ridiculous plotline than the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

A lot of b movies at least half the people on the project were having a very funny day every day, and knew what they were doing was entertainingly ridiculous.

Bad Taste is by far the most enjoyable movie Peter Jackson has made, in my opinion.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Me Again on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:39 pm

I remember the hullabaloo when scores of people flocked to see this "film" (largely for all of the wrong reasons) several years back. But after avoiding it for quite a while, I finally caved in the other night and decided to give it a go. Thankfully it was on YouTube and I didn't have to pay for it.

Made it about twenty minutes in before bailing.

The Room is Crap! And not amusing Crap, either. My gut reaction to everyone who thinks this is a movie worth spending time with is as follows: "If you think this is interesting, then what do you think isn't interesting?"

It just strikes me as a poorly cut, feebly acted, narcissistic-in-a-bad-way Cinemax-style West Coast "independent" movie. There doesn't seem to be anything exceptional about it.

I knew a woman down here who was a "connoisseur" of this sort of fare. On her Facebook page she "liked" dozens upon dozens of these films, the sort that aren't "independent" in any kind of appeal to risk taking or artistry or philosophical inquiry or off-the-beaten-path stylization. No these movies are "independent" in that they're made by people who happen to own movie cameras and think the world needs more micro-budget caucasian-oriented rom-coms to play at third- and fourth-tier film festivals. Not surprisingly, this woman, like most of the people who partake in these kind of movies, was and probably still is largely oblivious toward "the greats" of world cinema. I guess when a person's enthralled with the Boca Grande take on You've Got Mail, she doesn't have time to learn about those "obscure" "artsy-fartsy" directors like Jacques Tati or Ingmar Bergman.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby Me Again on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

And that's not meant as a dig at anyone here.

Am just saying there's a lot of mediocre independent stuff that needs fewer, not more, viewers.

Staring at one's ceiling is more productive than partaking in that crap.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby noise&light on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:13 pm

phpBB [media]

James Franco appears to be completely believable as Tommy Wiseau. I might have to go see this movie.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap