New Sci/Fi Movie: Inception - Crap or Not Crap

Crap
30%
Not Crap
70%

Total votes : 69

Re: New Sci/Fi Movie: Inception

Postby Camaro on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 am

On the airplane Cobb goes through the trouble of making contact with Fischer so that he can drug his drink, but we are told beforehand (and shown immediately after) that the rest of the airline staff, including the flight attendant who makes and serves the drink are all in on it. Am I missing something or was that just really sloppy?
Camaro
took picture of naked guy

Postby stewie on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:07 am

Camaro wrote:On the airplane Cobb goes through the trouble of making contact with Fischer so that he can drug his drink, but we are told beforehand (and shown immediately after) that the rest of the airline staff, including the flight attendant who makes and serves the drink are all in on it. Am I missing something or was that just really sloppy?

Yep, thought the same thing. Sloppy shit which will be manufactured into something really deep and meaningful and deliberate by the superfans.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby enframed on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 am

stewie wrote:
Camaro wrote:On the airplane Cobb goes through the trouble of making contact with Fischer so that he can drug his drink, but we are told beforehand (and shown immediately after) that the rest of the airline staff, including the flight attendant who makes and serves the drink are all in on it. Am I missing something or was that just really sloppy?

Yep, thought the same thing. Sloppy shit which will be manufactured into something really deep and meaningful and deliberate by the superfans.

While I'm no superfan, I think at some point there was talk of securing a 747 and Saito replies that he will buy the airline.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby enframed on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:27 am

scntfc wrote: too much goldeneye, not enough 2001.

Most accurate and succinct review yet.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby ImDADA on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm

stewie wrote:

Haha, calm down, don't get sour because some people like it. I don't see anyone here claiming it's perfect.
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby stewie on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:33 pm

ImDADA wrote:
stewie wrote:

Haha, calm down, don't get sour because some people like it. I don't see anyone here claiming it's perfect.

I'm calm, I liked it, and I ain't sour. I'm just right.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby John W. on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Wait, are people saying there was no wobble? It wobbled... definitely a wobble there - so... Twilight Zone ending it is, right? Don't know if it's real or not... that's what I got anyway.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby famousjunkie on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Ernest wrote:
sparky wrote:"Borges-lite", I muttered when I left the film; "ridiculous hokum" was my companion's conclusion.

I love this.

I'm enjoying the fan boys, and the bewildered on the forums I visit; every place has a thread on it, debating the plot, and talking about the confusion to it, or how 'artistic' the film was.

I'm just as amused by the people who had trouble following the film as the next guy, but how is the film not artistic? There were a lot of really beautiful shots sandwiched between the shoddy dialogue. It isn't a perfect film by any means, but it's hardly a bad film. A Hollywood hybrid of Rod Serling, Hitchcock, Borges, etc. Not done as masterly as it could have been, but still not worth writing off as not artistic.
famousjunkie
fran
fran

Postby shoe on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by shoe on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
shoe
marmoset
marmoset

Postby Camaro on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:27 am

ImDADA wrote:
stewie wrote:

I liked it too, quite a bit actually. Annoyed the shit out of my wife today talking about it. Look forward to seeing it again on video, although it'll be hard to top 2 pot cookies at the IMAX.

I don't get Bumble's theory that it's not an open ending as it seems like (as with a lot of other details in the film) a lot of care went into making the ending ambiguous. I agree that the top wobbles, maybe only as an audio cue, but it's there. There's even a piece of dialogue early on that makes mention of dreams being about more than what you see (to paraphrase).

I agree with most of the criticism going on here, but to write the movie off is a little silly. If you want high art, don't go see the movie with huge stars, a trailer full of explosions and a bajillion dollar budget. I mean, given my knowledge of the director/writer, cast, budget, trailer, etc, I felt like I knew what I was getting into when I bought my ticket, and wasn't disappointed. I just think that a lot of thought went into the world of the movie and to write it off for being too Hollywood is a cop out. Nolan's not even 40 and has some of my favorite movies under his belt so I imagine that he might give the heist movie set in 4 parallel dreams that you made "crap" as well. Not speaking to anyone in particular here, I just feel like a lot of people are calling BS on this movie simply because it wound up not being the movie they wanted it to be.

Here's what I'm missing that got harped on quite a bit as "proof" that Cobb is dreaming in the end: What happened to the chemist that makes it weird for him to wake up at the end? I don't remember him being injured, but maybe I just missed it.
Camaro

Postby Ernest on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:13 am

famousjunkie wrote:I'm just as amused by the people who had trouble following the film as the next guy, but how is the film not artistic? There were a lot of really beautiful shots sandwiched between the shoddy dialogue. It isn't a perfect film by any means, but it's hardly a bad film. A Hollywood hybrid of Rod Serling, Hitchcock, Borges, etc. Not done as masterly as it could have been, but still not worth writing off as not artistic.

I'm not denying it's artistic value, I'm against the emphasis I've read people put on it, like someone for the first time reading something absurd, or surreal, except filled with cliche. As if it was some kind of major subversion.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby tipcat on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:53 am

I haven't even read all your goddamn posts, but this movie is fucking nonsense incomprehensible CRAP. Jesus fuck me in the eye.

If you want a good "Borges" movie, see Moebius.

Aside: Saw Salt immediately prior. Wish I had seen it afterwards as an antidote to this mawkish POS. I also wish Salt could have kicked ol' Leo in the nuts back to Limbo.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Bill Swansea on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 am

So... let me get this straight...

...they were in his dream?
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby hip priest on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:50 pm

If LDC wanted to see his kids so bad, why didn't he just fly them to Paris?
daniel robert chapman wrote:The biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased cunts.
hip priest
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Daveksvplot on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 pm

This movie looks dumb.
Daveksvplot
jerry seinfeld
jerry seinfeld

Postby Janessa on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:12 pm

John George Peppers wrote:Get out in the sun and have a High Life, I say! That's what I'm talking about! Just get outside and have a god damned High Life!
Janessa
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby fedaykin13 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Cillian Murphy must be a decent actor.

He really pulls off the suave schmuck very well

Which is odd because I was watching 28 Days Later (again) the other night
and was struck at how he was so different in that role.
Tommy Alpha wrote:fedaykin13 is right

http://www.prfsinglesclub.com/
fedaykin13
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby enframed on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Janessa wrote:Image

I like it.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby seanurban on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Daveksvplot wrote:This movie looks dumb.

It is sci-fi.
seanurban
King High

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:13 am

enframed wrote:
Janessa wrote:Image

I like it.

my girlfriend and i have been laughing at that for a few minutes now.
MrWarandieBoy
johnny moss
johnny moss

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap