Sgt. Pepper
44%
Pet Sounds
56%

Total votes : 81

Re: Thunderdome: Sgt. Pepper vs. Pet Sounds

Postby rocker654 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Sgt. Peppers.

Beach Boys may have been first, but the Beatles were the best.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Daffodil Column on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:31 pm

I Know There's An Answer is superior to Hang On To Your Ego in every respect
Daffodil Column
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Postby FuzzBob on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:37 am

Isabelle Gall wrote:Both albums have been reduced to a shorthand reference for a glockenspiel overdub by many a terrible band (string section=musical ambition)...

Very true. (That means you, Grizzly Bear.)

...as well as having an entire industry seemingly dedicated to writing completely redundant articles about them,

Also true. However, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a contemporary equivalent.

bewitched as they are by reissues of 60's albums by english speaking mainstream white rock/pop musicians. The supposed cultural and artistic significance of both is bloated beyond all meaningful comprehension.

WRONG. Both albums share the same "world music" sphere with soukous, norteño, klezmer, gamelan music, etc. etc. These records exist well outside the Anglo-American mass culture bubble despite being central within it. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's not like we're talking about Big Star bootlegs.

I guess 'Smile' is going to be the big discussion point in this thread, to which i'll add that I still consider this to be very much an uncompleted project. If it had been completed and released back then all would be very different, one way or another.

Smile is a different record. Smiley Smile is a very different record.

However, 'Pet Sounds' by a mile. Not even close.

True.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby cesb on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:48 am

Good grief, the Beach Boys? What's wrong with you people.
cesb
took picture of naked guy

Location: La Grange. No, La Grange ILLINOIS. No, Evanston, I mean.

Postby Daffodil Column on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:48 am

Pet Sounds is the better album. I listen to Sgt. Pepper a lot more
Daffodil Column
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Postby 30Peak on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:55 am

Beatles = band of musicians.
Beach Boys = group of relatives.

And, generally speaking, nepotism sucks with few exceptions (Van Halen, Kings of Leon, Kinks, AC/DC).
30Peak
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby tallchris on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Pet Sounds, hands down.

Now Pet Sounds vs. Revolver, that's a thunderdome. Smile/Smilely Smile vs. Sgt. Pepper might be more appropriate.

The Beatles were the better band overall though.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm

FuzzBob wrote:Magical Mystery Tour, which is essentially Sgt. Pepper Vol. 2, has much stronger material, including "Strawberry Fields Forever."

In my book, "Magical Mystery Tour" doesn't really include "Strawberry Fields Forever".

"Magical Mystery Tour" was, of course, a six song double EP upon its release as the soundtrack to the film of the same name. However, as part of its longstanding effort to create as much confusion as possible and completely undermine the concept of an artistic statement by a band, Capitol/EMI included songs from The Beatles' 1967 singles, including "Hello Goodbye", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane", "Baby, You're A Rich Man" and "All You Need Is Love", as a B-side to fill out the U.S. album release of "Magical Mystery Tour". (For the record, Capitol apparently didn't trust U.S. record buyers to "get" the double EP concept, so the company decided to create a fake-o full length LP, which had the charming consequence of charging the purchasers of the record for songs that they already owned.)

Puzzlingly, the current side one of the U.S. album and worldwide CD release has a different track order than the six song double EP, which was:

"Magical Mystery Tour"
"Your Mother Should Know"
"I Am the Walrus"
"The Fool on the Hill"
"Flying"
"Blue Jay Way"

To me, that's "Magical Mystery Tour". I mean, that's the soundtrack to their movie, you know? In fact, when Capitol began releasing CD versions of The Beatles' catalog, I was disappointed that it didn't take the opportunity to "correct" "Magical Mystery Tour" by removing the singles, which, as great as they are, I believed should be collected on a singles compilation (i.e., the "Past Masters" records), if at all.

So, anyway, I don't think that you can really site the songs on side two of the U.S. album and worldwide CD release of "Magical Mystery Tour" as evidence of the greatness of that record. The Beatles just didn't intend for those songs to be part of the record when they released it.

Capitol/EMI, thank you for mangling the canon of one of the greatest bands in the history of the world.

And just what in the hell is the deal with that "Yellow Submarine" soundtrack? Wtf.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby curry pervert on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Pet Sounds? Doh!
curry pervert
norse
norse

Postby Bernardo on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Pet Sounds, not to take anything away from Sgt Peppers.

It gets pretty silly when the argument becomes about who's the "real" band. You people talk about it like it's a moral issue. If I could only have music by "real" bands performable live by a regular rock line-up life would be flat out worse. Plus neither record survives this particular type of scrutiny, so it's immaterial.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Redline on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Sgt. Pepper.

"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were the first songs recorded for the Sgt. Pepper lp. Capitol pressed George Martin into releasing them as a single well before the lp came out. They were not included on Sgt. Pepper because all involved thought that would be cheating the singles buying public.

Sir George stated that not including those songs on Pepper was one of his worst mistakes in Beatle history.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:40 am

Pet Sounds wins for so many reasons. All of McCartney's songs blow compared Wilson's songs. So it's basically a few great Lennon tracks vs. an entire album of Wilson's chamber pop.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby cwiko on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:51 am

Awesome_Komodo wrote:Pet Sounds wins for so many reasons. All of McCartney's songs blow compared Wilson's songs. So it's basically a few great Lennon tracks vs. an entire album of Wilson's chamber pop.

This to me is, at least, why Sgt. Pepper wins. A few great Lennon songs > Wilson's entire cabal.

Oh, and all of McCartney's songs blow compared to Wilson's? Maybe a lot of them could be seen that way, but I'd never go so overboard as to say that all of them do.
cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Speedie on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:21 am

A Day In The Life.

Unbelievable track. Who else would have been able to get the LSO to play weirded out stuff on a concept album in 1967? no one. thats who.

Brian Wilson aparrently lost his shit when he heard an acetate of Pepper before it was released. A landmark album in an engineering sense as well, but we all know that.

Sgt. Pepper. For the Win.

Not Crap
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://www.madcapglobalmusic.com/album ... isycutters
Speedie

Postby Speedie on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:24 am

Redline wrote:Sgt. Pepper.

"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were the first songs recorded for the Sgt. Pepper lp. Capitol pressed George Martin into releasing them as a single well before the lp came out. They were not included on Sgt. Pepper because all involved thought that would be cheating the singles buying public.

Sir George stated that not including those songs on Pepper was one of his worst mistakes in Beatle history.

Yeah. and this too.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://www.madcapglobalmusic.com/album ... isycutters
Speedie

Postby goatlord on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:48 am

I love both records. It's well composed pop with some clever twists, really catchy mellodies and a cheerful spirit. I think that this records don't have any kind of mortal sin, conceptual or musical, that make me hate one of them or make make me like one record more than the other. Both are excelent 60's pop music.

But, if I have to choose, I choose Sgt. Pepper, but just because "Within Without You" it's one of my favourites things in life.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby FuzzBob on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 am

cwiko wrote:
Awesome_Komodo wrote:Pet Sounds wins for so many reasons. All of McCartney's songs blow compared Wilson's songs. So it's basically a few great Lennon tracks vs. an entire album of Wilson's chamber pop.

This to me is, at least, why Sgt. Pepper wins. A few great Lennon songs > Wilson's entire cabal.

I'd agree if we were talking about Rubber Soul or Revolver when John was truly on his A game. John's work on Pepper didn't have the lacerating wit that made his best songs so great.

Speedie wrote:Brian Wilson aparrently lost his shit when he heard an acetate of Pepper before it was released. A landmark album in an engineering sense as well, but we all know that.

My understanding of it is a bit different-- Brian lost his shit after hearing "Strawberry Fields Forever" and decided, "fuck it." I agree that "Strawberry Fields Forever" should have been included on Pepper and this would be a very different thunderdome if it was.
FuzzBob

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:12 am

Pet Sounds.

Having been born in the late 70s, I have a difficult time seeing how Sgt Peppers changed musical history etc. I've listened to that album many times trying to see what's so important about it but everything about it just seems weak to me. I'd take the White Album or Revolver over Sgt Peppers and maybe even some of their earlier stuff too.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Sid Hartha on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 am

cwiko wrote:

Oh, and all of McCartney's songs blow compared to Wilson's? Maybe a lot of them could be seen that way, but I'd never go so overboard as to say that all of them do.

Fixing A Hole > all of Pet Sounds
Sid Hartha

Postby iembalm on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:22 am

Sgt. Pepper's.

Robert Hilburn of the L.A. Times was great at writing something so "provocative" (read: inane) that the paper would be flooded with letters about it, so then he could basically take the next week off by just writing about the "extraordinary response" his last column had gotten. He did this all the damn time, and one of those times was when he wrote about the 20th Anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's. To paraphrase: "Yeah, it's got some great tunes on it, and it helped to define a generation, but really there are quite a few clunkers on there, and much more filler than an epochal record should have."

I thought he was full of shit then and I think it's a bullshit assessment now. It's a great record start to finish.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap