Caroline, NO!!!!

Sgt. Pepper
44%
Pet Sounds
56%

Total votes : 81

Re: Thunderdome: Sgt. Pepper vs. Pet Sounds

Postby Limmo on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 pm

The Who Sell Out ( expanded CD version ) > Odessey and Oracle > Village Green > Peppers > Pet
Limmo
carter family
carter family

Postby numberthirty on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:32 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Pet Sounds.

Fuck Sgt. Pepper.

Their Satanic Majesties Request is probably better than Sgt. Pepper.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:40 pm

Come to think of it, "Child Of The Moon" smokes both of these records.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby a leg plaster on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:38 am

Pet Sounds for me, easy.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby geiginni on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:49 am

Both of these are overrated records. I'll pick Sgt. Pepper because the arrangements more aggressive and forward and it's not a documentary of American weenie-boy teen mental illness.

Jesus Herbert Christ people, if this is really the pinnacle of musical art for anyone, it's time to pull your head out of the goddamn sand that is the late 20th century western world and expand your goddamn horizons a little bit.

The worship of either of these records are the musical equivalent of thinking Judy Bloom should've been a five-time Pulitzer Prize winner.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Gibbs on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Sgt. Pepper has one good song on it. Pet Sounds has 13.
Gibbs
party clown
party clown

Postby jakethesnake on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:18 pm

The argument about "Pet sounds" not being "rock" enough is ridiculous to me; literally the first time I heard that album in it's entirety, I thought about Spector and his girlbands, I thought Sinatra, I thought the fucking Platters and the Four Freshmen-I did not ONCE think of it as "rock" and I still don't. Great, amazing album? Sure. Rock? No. People who want to hear rock will for all eternity be disappointed by this album...

Sgt Peppers meanwhile is just a weak album by Beatles standards;Lennon was not on top of his game with the exception of *that* song (you know, the one with the McCartney bridge) while McCartney continued towards his "genre-exercise" bullshit; I give props to "Fixing a hole" and "Getting Better" (which BTW is Beatles B-side quality) and the blatantly Beach Boys inspired "She's leaving home"-that's all.

Oh yeah, the title track kind of rocks in a cool way but it is too slight to make much an impression.

Pet Sounds by a billion miles, I still don't think it's rock though whereas Sgt Peppers could at least make a tiny claim for being that; bad rock compared with Revolver or Rubber Soul but whatever...
jakethesnake
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:05 pm

jakethesnake wrote:Lennon was not on top of his game with the exception of *that* song (you know, the one with the McCartney bridge)

Well, that and the one that went out as a single instead. 'She's Leaving Home' though, I woudn't give a pass to that one - it's barf.

I also don't understand this 'it's not rock' criticism. Ok, so it's not rock. Agreed, fine, so what?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 pm

fredrock wrote:
Hoping not to appear pedantic, I would offer this opinion. You must understand that R&R was still very much an infant when first the Beach Boys, and then the Beatles appeared on the scene. There were mighty social forces working tirelessly to quash this "bastard of legitimate music." Hard to imagine but "guardians of purity" from classical, standard pop, swing, folk, C & W and even jazz considered R&R to be a pit of depravity populated principally by untalented greaser hillbillies, urban toughs, bikers and faithless panderers. Good kids needed to be protected, therefore this abomination must die. Elvis was "The King" and the form was all about "You Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dog" and back seat "petting".
So along come these two moptop "combos" with their funny hair and funnier clothes. Branded almost immediately as light weight, flash in the pan-they'll be gone tomorrow fads, they received unimaginable amounts of harsh criticism and outright hatred. Earlier groups had been easier to control because they were beholden to record companies where the formula had always been to match performers with songwriters, an arrangement that suited the big labels well. They could make you, or break you on a whim.
These two bands were different. They composed and arranged most of their music and the longer they stayed in the game, the more they learned and the smarter they got. Each successive release took them further along down the path of artistic and creative control. They just kept besting their critics with better and better songs--complete catalogs of really innovative stuff. They simply could not be denied.

Both Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers were experiments, to see just how far these two formidable musical entities could travel into the world of big time, serious musical production. As I stated earlier, these were essentially Declarartions of Independence to all the naysayers who had been dogging them all these years.
"Take this all you doubters--we can play at your level now , so stuff it!! R&R is fully fledged, so get used to it, we ain't going away!!!"

FREEDOM_FREEDOM__FREEDOM

Everyone recognized it; R & R was here to stay.

THERE IS YOUR IMPACT !!

This is all I've ever heard about Sgt Pepper's and it still sounds like a novelty record. Garbage.

I like Pet Sounds. I dunno if it's a "mature" effort or whatever, but it works. Wonderful songs, great production, sighs aplenty.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby oswaldwen on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Sgt. Peppers is easily the most overrated rock record. I dont even hate the Beatles and I think its lame. Pet Sounds is great and is probably my favorite "pop" record.
oswaldwen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby m3kcomp on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:41 am

I kept thinking about this thread today...Apart from VU & Nico: Safe as Milk, Forever Changes, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Who Sell Out and Songs of Leonard Cohen (to name a few) were released the same year as Sgt. Pepper's. I'm really tired of hearing how groundbreaking and amazing this silly record was/is.
m3kcomp
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:04 am

Can't stand the fucking dorky ass Beach Boys, barrfff on some Beach Boys bullshit
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:29 am

The Who Sell Out wipes the floor with both these records and rocks harder than anything either band did.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Will I ever be able to recover from the cranium-shattering white hot iconoclasm of these PRF dudes telling me that Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band are bullshit.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby rayword45 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:13 pm

I actively challenge you people to listen to Sgt Peppers without groaning once at the nonsensical hippie horse diarrhea. For what it's worth it may as well be a subpar Phish record today, regardless of any ground broken (ahem, Surrealistic Pillow and Are You Experienced?).

The Beach Boys may be a bunch of psychotic, incestuous, emotionally stunted pussies but Pet Sounds still sounds relatively sincere and that counts for more than whatever Sgt Peppers is worth.
rayword45
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby hellholiday on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:46 pm

The only truly decent album by one band versus probably the fifth best by the other. What a thunder dome.

God only knows, while an amazing song, is a rung below A Day in the life, Penny Lane amd two rungs below Strawberry Fields Forever.
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:04 pm

hellholiday wrote:The only truly decent album by one band versus probably the fifth best by the other. What a thunder dome.

Both recorded one of their best songs during the sessions but did not include on the album?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby John Turbo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Don't like either that much tbh.
The Beatles made far better albums before and afterwards.

HOWEVER...i think the likes of Sgt. Pepper because it was for so long held up as a beacon as inventiveness and as a holy cow for so long it's been perhaps over-harshly and wrongly torn down since.

It gets called "overrated" so often now it is perhaps not even so. It also has "A Day In The Life" on - a track i still always get goosebumps from - and that track alone must have been intimidatingly good in its time in 67 - that last piano chord alone seems like a "fuck off - you better that".
sure theres a fair bit of McCartney twee stuff but soundwise its still pretty impressive. It was recorded on 2 x 4-tracks FFS. People go on about novelty side and nonsense lyrics but it was intentionally a British music hall mish mash and psychedelia drug mash. Interesting useless point- the fox chase SFX on beginning of Sgt. Pepper Reprise is same SFX was used on Basil Brush records produced by George Martin earlier. People seem to miss some humour on some records.

I only like God Only Knows and the title track instrumental on Pet Sounds. Rest is shit songwise IMO. Despite all the elaborate arrangement and recording.

For songs id take Beach Boys Holland over Pet Sounds..
John Turbo
bullwinkle
bullwinkle

Postby wotown on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:21 am

geiginni wrote:Jesus Herbert Christ people, if this is really the pinnacle of musical art for anyone, it's time to pull your head out of the goddamn sand that is the late 20th century western world and expand your goddamn horizons a little bit.

Almost everyone in this thread had been calling these records overrated and/or naming contemporary records they preferred. Not sure who exactly you're upset with.
Recent: Body Futures
Sporadic: The Five Mod Four
Mostly reading but not posting on Twitter
wotown
robert motherwell
robert motherwell

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:40 pm

I think it's worth keeping in mind that the Beatles had three talented songwriters and George Martin on the case, while Brian Wilson was attempting to match them by writing, arranging and producing everything himself. It's not an achievement that should be dismissed lightly.

If he were so inclined, he might ask the cocksockets where their critically rated #1 album of all time is.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap