Caroline, NO!!!!

Sgt. Pepper
44%
Pet Sounds
56%

Total votes : 81

Re: Thunderdome: Sgt. Pepper vs. Pet Sounds

Postby numberthirty on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:I think it's worth keeping in mind that the Beatles had three talented songwriters and George Martin, while Brian Wilson was writing, arranging and producing the whole thing himself. It's not an achievement that can be dismissed lightly.

If he were so inclined, he might ask the cocksockets where their critically rated #1 album of all time is.

He also had Murray.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby djimbe on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 pm

I've heard stuff on Pet Sounds and I had to hear Pepper's way too much growing up. To this day (and I'm almost 51) I haven't heard Pet Sounds from start to finish and I never will. I dislike the Beach Boys. Won't give 'em the time of day. Don't care. Like rap music, that shit don't speak to me. Pepper's is a weak Beatles album, even though at the time it probably slayed sonically and WRT music structure.

Freak Out came out the same year. Yeah Zappa is crap, I know. Don't care. Fuck you. Zappa for this time frame.
djimbe
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby hellholiday on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:11 pm

1966 had some real shit floating around in the air.

Pet Sounds - Recorded July 12, 1965 – April 13, 1966
Revolver - Recorded 6 April – 21 June 1966
Velvet Underground and Nico - Recorded April–May 1966; November 1966
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby japmn on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:40 pm

You guys are fucking high. Pet Sounds is a great record. Great pop songs, super good example of the prowess of the Wrecking Crew. It sounds great even if you don't like the songs.

Peppers is fine. Has some fun songs. It's a bit of a circus number to me, but I don't go turning it off. I prefer Revolver, or to listen to any record from the first half of the Kinks catalog. Actually not a huge Beatles fan now that I think about it. It's all ok, I suppose.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby geiginni on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:45 pm

hellholiday wrote:1966 had some real shit floating around in the air...

Stanley Owsley's farts?
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:26 am

rayword45 wrote:I actively challenge you people to listen to Sgt Peppers without groaning once at the nonsensical hippie horse diarrhea. For what it's worth it may as well be a subpar Phish record today, regardless of any ground broken (ahem, Surrealistic Pillow and Are You Experienced?).

The Beach Boys may be a bunch of psychotic, incestuous, emotionally stunted pussies but Pet Sounds still sounds relatively sincere and that counts for more than whatever Sgt Peppers is worth.

100% agree.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Limmo on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:00 pm

Not entirely related, but:

Yesterday I had to drive back to Los Angeles from Santa Barbara. I put on the White Album. I made it as far as "Piggies" before I had had enough.

As I got to the beach road, I switched to the Beach Boys' Smile. Perfect timing, right?

I made it as far as "Vege-Tables" before I had to turn it off. I just don't know why the hell people fellate Brian Wilson. What crap.

Put on the expanded 2001 reissue of The Who Sell Out. Listened to the whole thing. Fucking amazing.
Limmo
carter family
carter family

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Perhaps Tommy or Quadrophenia would provide more of an opportunity for you to become tired of listening to The Who?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Limmo on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:39 am

^ I'm SURE they would, but I'm not going to listen to them to find out. My interest in the Who plummets rapidly after Live At Leeds, though I enjoyed that live DVD from 1977 where Keith Moon performs in a spangly pink muu-muu.

I still think the White Album is great, but for some reason I got sick of it fairly quickly on the drive. I think part of it is the unpleasant sensation of revisiting something you once thought was unimpeachable and discovering parts that are, well, peachable. But let's leave "Bungalow Bill" out of this.
Limmo
carter family
carter family

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:34 pm

big_dave wrote:Tommy : some of the shorter vignettes are fucking horrible, but minute per minute its probably tighter than a lot of the records being mentioned in this thread.

Not close to Sgt Peppers, though.

Tommy the studio album is generally weak, and I'd take Pet Sounds or Sergeant Pepper over it. But I'd take the Live at Leeds version of Tommy over maybe any of the list of "game-changing" albums from the 60s.

Dig.

phpBB [media]
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 pm

The Beatles peaked with Revolver. In fact the more I listen to the catalog the more I realize Revolver is the quintessential Beatles record. It straddles every era of their musical development. There is something from every phase of their entire career on Revolver, even from the records they hadn't made yet. Rock, psychedelia, folk, music hall, avant garde... it's all represented on Revolver.

Sgt Pepper is not their greatest album, and not even one of the greatest albums of all time, again if I had to choose a Beatles record for that category it would be Revolver, but it sure as shit beats the hell out of Pet Sounds. Fuck off with that bullshit.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby iembalm on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:04 pm

When I was a young'un, Robert Hilburn of the LA Times wrote an article for Sgt. Pepper's 20th anniversary ("It was twenty years ago today...") in which he concluded that a great deal of the record is filler. I remember expressing my outrage, and then my father telling me that it was a favorite tactic of Hilburn's: write something provocative, then get paid for another article responding to people getting upset about it. For the rest of the time I lived in LA, I assessed Hilburn's roll, and sure enough.

And Sgt Pepper over Pet Sounds.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby harry on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:20 am

As with most Beatles albums, there's a real signal to noise issue on Sgt. Pepper, and I don't personally consider the 'signal' elements to be as a whole particularly compelling (although there are 3 or 4 exceptional cuts). I'd concur with much of the above criticism, it's way beyond saturated by whimsy and an apparent inability to deal with a major key with any fucking nuance.

Pet Sounds is a strong album, certainly more consistent and less hamfisted than Sgt Pepper. Having said that, the standing of both albums is dimished by musical media that treats their pet musical artifacts as beyond reproach.
harry
busher
busher

Postby P.J. Craven on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 am

bump
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Redline on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am

My wife hates the Beach Boys but still bought me a ticket to see Brian Wilson play Pet Sounds. I'm not sure how much actual "playing" Brian will do, but I'm sure I will enjoy the hell out of the evening.

Redline wrote: by Redline on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:48 pm
Sgt. Pepper.

Sgt. Pepper still wins, 8 years on!
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Bernardo on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:59 am

Though Pet Sounds doesn't have A Day in The Life, it's more consistently great. I vote Beach Boys.
Bernardo

Postby rayword45 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:53 am

Sgt Peppers is ass compared to Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album and Abbey Road. Like three good songs surrounded by a bunch of corny garbage.

Pet Sounds any day.
rayword45
jasper johns
jasper johns

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap