"Name calling is the last refuge of the out argued."

www.myspace.com/somniferumky
www.myspace.com/wurmkraut
somniferum
hemingway
hemingway

Re: Band: Minor Threat VS Black Flag

Postby Ernest. on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 am

As purely a punk band, Minor Threat wins, but Black Flag went beyond it.
DrAwkward, on Marsup's DrAwkward analogue wrote:I am forced to believe that you *actually* did that, because i have no idea how you would have come across it otherwise.
Ernest.
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby mt on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 pm

mt
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 pm

The Flag had that great adrenaline heaviness, and the Kira Roessler/Bill Stevenson rhythm section kicked all kinds of ass once they figured out what to do. If Greg Ginn knew how to write, they would have been unstoppable. Ginn was sort of the king of slop leads. It was clear that he had dexterity, because he never seemed to be stumbling over any notes, but it never seemed like he put much thought into which ones would be best to hit for any given song. A lot of the time in later Flag, it was just this guy playing a super fast blur of noise that didn't have much relation to what the rhythm section was playing. Sometimes that was awesome. A lot of times, it was unlistenable pap. A great band who was often without great material, and Rollins rarely improved things . . . That said, I've got every Flag album, and I've gotten enjoyment from parts of every one. I spent a lot of time listening to Black Flag. It's a tough trudge to the good stuff, but even that stuff doesn't inspire me to listen to the records very much anymore.

Damaged is tops though, the one place where the gigantic blur worked in their favor on just about every song. Big Dumb Rock filtered through this terrifying, violent clamor. There's nothing that sounds like it. Slow it down and it's almost a Flipper record, but that still doesn't quite describe it.

Still, I'd be hard pressed to say any hardcore band could do better than Minor Threat. Die Kreuzen, the Bad Brains, early Husker Du, all of that stuff comes sort of close. But it's not insignificant that Minor Threat was a template for so many bands who were inferior to them. They are probably the best example of the form, and very few could approximate that.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Charlie D on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Black. Fucking. Flag.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm

I love both bands, but I gotta pick Black Flag. When I listen to Minor Threat I always get the feeling like I need to say "Fine, I'm drinking a fuckin beer! I'm sorry already! Are you satisfied, Ian?"
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mark Hansen on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:37 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:I love both bands, but I gotta pick Black Flag. When I listen to Minor Threat I always get the feeling like I need to say "Fine, I'm drinking a fuckin beer! I'm sorry already! Are you satisfied, Ian?"

Personally, the straight edge message Minor Threat had never really made me feel defensive about what I did. It always seemed more, to me anyway, a call, on a personal level, that a person should be aware of what they did and why they did them, and for them to be in control of their own actions, rather than a doctrinaire statement that everyone should follow a certain set of rules of behavior.

It's funny that the two times Minor Threat played in Chicago were at places where alcohol was readily available. O'Banion's was a bar, although that particular show may have been an all ages no alcohol event. It's my guess that they played an early show and a late show, but I can't remember for sure. At the Centro-American Social Club, even though no alcohol was allowed in the actual performance room, there was a separate room where alcohol could be purchased, and if my memory serves me correctly, you only had your ID checked if you were obviously way underage, which stopped no one with an ID from purchasing multiple drinks and handing them off to those underage.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Mark Hansen wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:I love both bands, but I gotta pick Black Flag. When I listen to Minor Threat I always get the feeling like I need to say "Fine, I'm drinking a fuckin beer! I'm sorry already! Are you satisfied, Ian?"

Personally, the straight edge message Minor Threat had never really made me feel defensive about what I did. It always seemed more, to me anyway, a call, on a personal level, that a person should be aware of what they did and why they did them, and for them to be in control of their own actions, rather than a doctrinaire statement that everyone should follow a certain set of rules of behavior.

I guess it's really not the straight edge message that gets to me but the accusatory nature of each of the songs - almost all of them are addressed to an unnamed "you". It gets kinda tedious once I get halfway through the complete discography cd I have.
Then again, Henry Rollins can grate on my nerves after a while, too. Doesn't stop me from continuing listening to either band though.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:21 pm

hench wrote:both of these bands got me through some of the shittiest periods in my life. .

+1

I actually can't vote either way--it's a perfectly even tie. MT has far fewer songs, but a higher percentage of quality songs.

Having said that, I unabashedly like each era of Black Flag, with the 82 Demos period standing out as my favorite.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Blue of Noon on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Minor Threat never made anything as funny as My War, but in general I like them a lot more than Black Flag, and they win points for being concise and quitting while they were ahead.
Blue of Noon
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Not even close. Panic-era Flag thru My War (w/maybe the Process of Weeding Out added for perversity's sake) wipes the floor w/any and all Minor Threat. Hell, I'm not even so sure Minor Threat would sound the way they did w/o Black Flag's existence.

Minor Threat was essentially a good but very dogmatic, preachy and musically limited hardcore band. Flag released some godawful crap but they took a lot of risks. There's a lot more art and evolution and depth happening there. You won't find anything on a Minor Threat record that possesses the emotional impact of Ginn's guitar. Shit just sounds tortured. Mitigates every dumb hard-rock move they ever made and every bad lyric they ever wrote. My personal favorite bits are the Dez era and the '82 demos, along w/select Damaged and the finer parts of My War. Robo was also an incredibly underrated drummer.

At its best, Flag was dangerous and trailblazing. Minor Threat was simply solid. And I can't really get behind the scene-unity, telling-audience-how-to-live bullshit. It's really young and goofy. In all fairness Flag had plenty of bonehead, juvenile sentiments behind it, but someone like Dukowski seemed like a much more interesting and free-thinking cat than Ian MacKaye. At its finest, Minor Threat was a groundbreaking punk band, but Black Flag was a groundbreaking band, period, no qualifier or genre necessary.

The guitar solo on one of the many versions of "Depression" is among the finest 10 or so moments in all of rock music.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby AnthonyCinder on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:04 am

I think it's been pretty well documented that those Minor Threat songs were personal, describing the way a teenager felt, and never intended to be songs that were telling people what to do.

Having said that, I also really like The Process of Weeding Out. Great fucking record.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby mr.arrison on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 am

I've been listening to Black Flag like crazy. Greg Ginn is an inspiration - a complete and utter triumph of mediocrity. I can't even tell if he's good or not - but it's such a fucking trainwreck to hear him do his little noisy, jazz-esque solos and slop-rock riffs that it transcends amazing.

Who's Got The 10 1/2 is a fantastic rock record. A band firing on all cylinders. The lyrics are pretty hideous, but I have no problem with Hank. He's no Chavo or Dez Cadena, but it works. I like him a ton better than Keith Morris.. ugh.

Minor Threat is the better band even if I only listen to them once every five years.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Kate Rev on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Black Flag has way more staying power.

Minor Threat perfectly explains a point in time, and is great for nostalgia, but Black Flag can still mean things to my life right now on successive listens.

Plus Ginn is one of my favorite guitar players, top 5 for sure.
Kate Rev
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Redline on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Die Kreuzen
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby gjp on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Black Flag was one of my favorite bands growing up, but they had a lot of crap songs. Whereas Minor Threat had none. Granted, they weren't around as long, but some of those bad Black Flag songs are really fucking bad.

Minor Threat.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Dovey on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 pm

It'd be interesting to see what Minor Threat would've done had they stayed together. I give Black Flag credit for changing directions and handling it pretty dang well. Apparently 3/4 of Minor Threat wanted to sound like U2? I'll take wanting to sound like Black Sabbath over that any day.

The first four E.Ps, Damaged and side two of My War are enough for Black Flag to win this to me.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey

Postby Bill Swansea on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:43 am

Dovey wrote:It'd be interesting to see what Minor Threat would've done had they stayed together. I give Black Flag credit for changing directions and handling it pretty dang well. Apparently 3/4 of Minor Threat wanted to sound like U2? I'll take wanting to sound like Black Sabbath over that any day.

The closest Minor Threat ever got to sounding like U2 was Salad Days. Fucking Salad Days man, that's a fantastic song.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Get dog costumes on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:58 am

Bill Swansea wrote:Fucking Salad Days man, that's a fantastic song.

Man, that song is awesome. Ian MacKaye is a comedian.
Marsupialized wrote:She had a gun, so I did it. I had the decency to go into a stall to do it, though.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby punch_the_lion on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:06 pm

punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap