Black Flag
44%

Total votes : 101

Re: Band: Minor Threat VS Black Flag

Postby lemur68 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:15 pm

mr.arrison wrote:
punch_the_lion wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2Z-QmRqrg

Minor Flag.

Wow, Henry's a dick bully. I thought the kid did well for a 14 year old with a mic interviewing Black Flag

I love how the rest of the band is like "fuck this shit."
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Blue of Noon on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:17 pm

lemur68 wrote:
mr.arrison wrote:

Minor Flag.

Wow, Henry's a dick bully. I thought the kid did well for a 14 year old with a mic interviewing Black Flag

I've seen this before and it's just fucking painful.

Like a slow-motion car wreck.
Blue of Noon
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby AnthonyCinder on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Blue of Noon wrote:
lemur68 wrote:
mr.arrison wrote:

Minor Flag.

I love the Rollins era material, but it is really awkward watching him at his crankiest here. The kid is a total jackass, but I'm not sure he deserves the drawn out torture.

Surpising how short Kira is there compared to Ginn.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Blue of Noon on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 am

AnthonyCinder wrote:
Blue of Noon wrote:
lemur68 wrote:
mr.arrison wrote:

Minor Flag.

I love the Rollins era material, but it is really awkward watching him at his crankiest here. The kid is a total jackass, but I'm not sure he deserves the drawn out torture.

Yeah, the kid is just naive and misguided, and Rollins is out to demoralize him (while also stroking his own massive ego).

If it wasn't real I'd think, "Hey, that's good theater!" But since it is real it's painful.
Blue of Noon

Postby The Ditch on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:49 am

Blue of Noon wrote:
lemur68 wrote:
mr.arrison wrote:

Minor Flag.

Oof. And as I suspected it's the ten-minute version as well. I think Henry is pretty obviously tripping balls, but still.

"Does this look like selling out, bro?"
The Ditch
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby Blue of Noon on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 am

Oh, he was tripping, was he?

That would explain the tension.
Blue of Noon

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Blue of Noon wrote:Oh, he was tripping, was he?

That would explain the tension.

There were rumors that Rollins started doing acid before more than a few Flag shows in the mid-'80's. I was personally never sure if it was true or not.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby AnthonyCinder on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Wouldn't call them rumors, exactly.

From a Punk Planet edition of collected interviews with Black Flag, Henry said:

I did acid a few times at the behest of Chuck Dukowski. I told him I wasn't into drugs but he said, "It will help you not be such an asshole," and he was a big influence on me. If he said to jump off a room, I would say , "Which roof?" So I called up this girl who I knew did drugs and said, "This is Henry Rollinss--I want do so some LSD." Well, I didn't feel anything. Three hits later, she's driving and we are at a red light. I look at this motorcycle stopped at the intersection next to us and the wheels are still turning! I tried LSD a few times after that and then something inside me said, "This isn't something you should keep doing." It was interesting, but not great. My experience lasted six whole days. It must have been funny seeing the boy scout high.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

AnthonyCinder

Postby steve on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:38 pm

I can admire Black Flag, or things about Black Flag, while comfortably dismissing their music as childish, petty, mean and stupid. I can admire the same things about Minor Threat, while thinking some of their music is an incredibly invigorating distillation of a specific period of punk's development. Minor Threat were much better live, but mostly because they were playing better music and were not childish, petty people and didn't have to feign self-loathing and inarticulate rage to create drama.

Both bands had some idiot fans who identified with them too strongly and made their music a weird synthesis of sound and being surrounded by nitwits, but of the two camps, Minor Threat's fans were nerdier and less verbal, therefor less irritating.

Minor Threat's members have moved on into things much less embarrassing than being the Voice of GM Trucks or appearing in Mighty Ducks II. Minor Threat didn't run their record label into the dirt.

Black Flag did give the Minutemen and Meat Puppets a leg up though, so there's that. That, plus their determination in the face of adversity, their eagerness to build up their local scene and their general work ethic are all admirable. The only real drag is the music.

Minor Threat by a mile.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:56 pm

steve wrote:Minor Threat's fans were nerdier and less verbal, therefor less irritating.

I dunno. Hyperactive, self-righteous teetotaling nerds=just as bad as meatheads. Ok, so maybe nobody threatens to kick your ass? But they're also harder to confuse and/or outwit.

steve wrote:Minor Threat's members have moved on into things much less embarrassing than being the Voice of GM Trucks or appearing in Mighty Ducks II.

But there are only five ex-Minor Threats. And more than a dozen ex-Black Flags. Law of averages. And oh yeah: Junkyard. I'd rather watch Mighty Ducks II than listen to that band.

steve wrote:Minor Threat didn't run their record label into the dirt.

Valid point. Although Caroline Records did kinda go in this direction under Preslar. Hooray for Ben Folds Five! (And hey, Oxbow was on dead-end-era SST.)

steve wrote:The only real drag is the music.

Now if this is a reflection of your aesthetics, this is ok and it makes good sense. But the rest of these arguments aren't exactly ironclad.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Part of me wishes Minor Threat had put together one more album before disbanding, despite the risk that it would have been anticlimactic and not good. They were so fucking awesome though that I doubt it could have been that bad, like maybe no worse than a decent Seven Seconds record.

Black Flag is all over the place. Maybe if they just had two albums they would have been better. They had some great songs but not many that melted my face like Minor Threat. Minor Threat really had me wondering how a bunch of young adults could make music so interesting and blazingly bad-ass.

Disclaimer: I liked the Pailhead that I have heard. I like Fugazi but I think they have too many songs and albums. I liked a number of Rollins Band songs up to The End Of Silence.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Dovey on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:53 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
steve wrote:Minor Threat's fans were nerdier and less verbal, therefor less irritating.

I dunno. Hyperactive, self-righteous teetotaling nerds=just as bad as meatheads. Ok, so maybe nobody threatens to kick your ass? But they're also harder to confuse and/or outwit.

You've never been threatened with a beating by a straight-edger? Lucky you.

steve wrote:Minor Threat's members have moved on into things much less embarrassing than being the Voice of GM Trucks or appearing in Mighty Ducks II.

But there are only five ex-Minor Threats. And more than a dozen ex-Black Flags. Law of averages. And oh yeah: Junkyard. I'd rather watch Mighty Ducks II than listen to that band.

Dag Nasty can suck several dicks, too, just by the way.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby LBx on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I prefer the earlier Black Flag stuff.

and used to enjoy Dag Nasty a fair bit too...
LBx

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Dag Nasty were godawful.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby gjp on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 am

SecondEdition wrote:Dag Nasty were godawful.

I have to agree with you.

Listened to Dag Nasty a lot when I was in high school, tried to listen to them not too long ago and had to turn it off.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:17 am

If we bring what the members of both bands did after their respective bands broke up into the discussion, only Ian MacKaye and Jeff Nelson escape with their dignity.

Brian Baker has mostly made crap since the end of Minor Threat, and Lyle Preslar made some crap and kind of seemed a bit scummy with the whole Caroline Records thing.

I'm glad Minor Threat broke up before we really heard any of the U2 influence that Ian had to fight at the end. Fuck U2 all day and all night long.

Nelson and MacKaye have put their lives into a great label, and both have been in numerous bands of varying degrees of quality. But even when they made music that was less than awesome, they always did their thing in a respectable manner.

Most of the members of Black Flag went on to undeniably douchey pursuits. I'd give Dukowski a pass, though. I've talked to him a few times in LA, once at a show and once just randomly on the street, and the guy really seems to be top drawer. Can't really say that the music of the Chuck Dukowski Sextet does much for me, but I did mention to the guy how much some of the Black Flag material meant to me, and he was genuinely appreciative and gracious.

For what it's worth, I've run into Rollins a handful of times, and the guy has always been extremely nice, even after I politely told him I didn't care for much of anything he's done post-Black Flag. I half expected him to flex his neck muscles and kill me, but we ended up talking for around ten minutes about the greatness of Fugazi's End Hits album (this was right after that album came out). But Henry's made some questionable choices as far as his interfacing with the entertainment industry, and there seems to be an endless caravan of stories from various people that indicate asshole behavior.

AnthonyCinder

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:20 am

qrj wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Dag Nasty were godawful.

I have to agree with you.

Listened to Dag Nasty a lot when I was in high school, tried to listen to them not too long ago and had to turn it off.

If you ever really want to induce vomiting, look up the contract that Brian Baker had to sign when he joined Bad Religion. It's floating around there somewhere on the interwebs.

AnthonyCinder

Postby Ptommydski on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Dag Nasty were godawful. I blame them for pretty much all the horrible, whiny emo stuff we've had since then. Swiz were good though. Likewise Doggy Rock, 400, Junkyard, Bad Religion were/are all awful. Brian Baker's post Minor Threat music has been terrible. I seem to recall Lyle Preslar acted as an A&R guy for major labels for a while but I haven't heard anything particularly damning about that.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter what the various people from both bands went on to do, it's about the music. Minor Threat were better and got out long before they became terrible, unlike Black Flag.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Ptommydski wrote:Dag Nasty were godawful. I blame them for pretty much all the horrible, whiny emo stuff we've had since then... I seem to recall Lyle Preslar acted as an A&R guy for major labels for a while but I haven't heard anything particularly damning about that.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter what the various people from both bands went on to do, it's about the music. Minor Threat were better and got out long before they became terrible, unlike Black Flag.

Dag Nasty=godawful, indeed. Although I'd hurl equal parts emo blame at Rites of Spring and (sorry) Fugazi. But that matters not.

As for Preslar, I was just referring to some of the terrible stuff he signed to Caroline and the fact that they were an indie that attempted to dictate certain terms to their artists re: touring and hiring producers and etc. For an eyeblink in the late '80s, they released some fine recordings by Live Skull, Naked Raygun (well, one sorta decent LP of three), and Pussy Galore (and before that, various prehistoric UK art rock) but then they took a dive into the 1990s commercial-indie toilet after tasting some degree of success w/White Zombie, Hole, and Smashing Pumpkins. I have no idea to what extent what Lyle Preslar was involved w/this. But he is responsible for bringing you Fat Boy Slim in this capacity.

Totally agree w/you that none of this matters whatsoever, and that the music is what's important here. I'm not so sure I'd want to be pals w/ or that I respect the ethics of Mike Doskocil and Jeff Mentges, but I sure as hell won't be selling my Drunks with Guns and No Trend 7"s b/c of it. And I don't really care what they did after their bands split up or those bands' key lineups dissolved.
OrthodoxEaster

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap