X

Crap.
16%
Not Crap.
84%

Total votes : 93

Re:

Postby the Classical on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:03 pm

the Classical wrote:as smug record collector scum I must say I prefer X from Australia.

Doe and Bonebrake did their best work on the Flesheater's A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die

So aside from the above glib posting from 5 yrs ago I had always appreciated X in a sort of distant and abstract way. I certainly didn't dislike them but for whatever reason I never really "got it". My wife is a huge fan though and she would play me the records and I would think "cool, but whatever". I thought Exene and John Doe were cool, a few songs I thought were great but overall nothing about them really excited me.

So last spring my wife tells me she wants to go see the Knitters, X's country-ish alter-ego w/ Dave Alvin and I'm like ok fine, whatever. I went to the show with basically no expecations and I was kind of blown away.

Actually, no "kind of", strike that I was legitimately blown away. I finally got it. They were truly inspired and inspiring. I finally understood what everyone else had been talking about. Since then those first four X records have sounded completely awesome to me, I've listened to them constantly since, much to the bemusment of my spouse.

Not crap!
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Re: Band: X

Postby Thanasis on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:12 am

X=NC

Even See How We Are is a really good album. I dont know how they ever got called punk though. Especially after the first couple of albums. I first wanted to hear them when someone told me about this great LA punk band. They've never really sounded punk to me.
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band
that guy from the opening band

Postby Nina on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:16 am

Awesome_Komodo wrote:Most of the L.A. punk bands seem boring to me. The Germs are sort of exception, but I'm not really "thrilled" by them either.

To further sink myself into the hole I made, I really dislike most of the SST bands. That could also be because Spot's recordings suck shit. I love the Minutemen on paper and their live stuff from that documentary as well, but listening to their records is a chore. The only good Descendants' record is the live one. Fuck Black Flag. The Dead Kennedys are the equivalent of a nostalgia lounge act that one would see in Vegas.

I should also point out that I grew up having heard Minor Threat before all these bands and view them as being way cooler, more interesting and more groundbreaking.

I will also even further dig my hole and say that after Minor Threat, the only other good Dischord bands are Circus Lupus, Crown Hate Ruin, Hoover, Jawbox, Lungfish and Shudder To Think. (Bands like The Monorchid and All - Scars don't count because they weren't ever officially Dischord bands.)

(Fugazi can gargle my balls.)

Mr. Christopher McGarvey,

I can no longer endorse you as a human being.

I'm sorry.

xNx
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:29 am

Awesome_Komodo wrote:
P.J. Craven wrote:
Awesome_Komodo wrote:y.........a.................w......................n....................................

CRAP

Woah!

Really?

Los Angeles, Wild Gift, Under the Big Black Sun.

Really?

Okay.
Most of the L.A. punk bands seem boring to me. The Germs are sort of exception, but I'm not really "thrilled" by them either.

To further sink myself into the hole I made, I really dislike most of the SST bands. That could also be because Spot's recordings suck shit. I love the Minutemen on paper and their live stuff from that documentary as well, but listening to their records is a chore. The only good Descendants' record is the live one. Fuck Black Flag. The Dead Kennedys are the equivalent of a nostalgia lounge act that one would see in Vegas.

I should also point out that I grew up having heard Minor Threat before all these bands and view them as being way cooler, more interesting and more groundbreaking.

I will also even further dig my hole and say that after Minor Threat, the only other good Dischord bands are Circus Lupus, Crown Hate Ruin, Hoover, Jawbox, Lungfish and Shudder To Think. (Bands like The Monorchid and All - Scars don't count because they weren't ever officially Dischord bands.)

(Fugazi can gargle my balls.)

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Domagoj on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:07 pm

My fave X moment:

I often love drama.

NC for three or four LP records.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Not Crap for Los Angeles, the early singles, Billy Zoom, and a couple songs from the second album. But this band very quickly descended into badly-produced, cowpunk-tinged, semi-commercial '80s gunk that has aged about as well as an episode of "Divorce Court." "Burnin' House of Love?" Not on my street.

Major wafflage.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm not even sure Los Angeles does all that much for me, to tell the truth.

Maybe I should have any record nerd punk cred that I may possess revoked.

But I've just never had any kind of connection to X.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:41 pm

I really like a certain version of "Adult Books." I don't really remember much of their stuff otherwise.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I really like a certain version of "Adult Books." I don't really remember much of their stuff otherwise.

The Dangerhouse version of this song is also the superior version, just like with that version of "Los Angeles".
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Domagoj on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Oh, what did I write there: three or four!? No. Two or three LPs, that's what I thought. More than enough. I rarely re-visit anyway. Would watch re-run of X Files.

And just don't tell me how Oz X was so much better.

By the way, urban cow-punk is pretty awful in my book.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Despite the slicker production, I think that Under the Big Black Sun may be X's strongest effort. Los Angeles makes for some stiff "best album" competition, but I enjoy the maturity, cohesion, and the bevy of ideas and styles presented on the third album. The only song that I'm not wild about on Sun is "Come Back To Me".

I love Los Angeles, too. "The Unheard Music" might be my favorite X song.

John Doe's voice is outstanding.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby kerble on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 pm

P.J. Craven wrote:I love Los Angeles, too. "The Unheard Music" might be my favorite X song.

yeah, this one's mine, too.

there's a brilliant beautiful version of it on the record Unclogged, that I haven't heard in years. with vibraphones and other niceties. that whole record was pretty great, if I remember correctly.

If you haven't seen the movie, the Unheard Music, fix that soon.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for the tips [tops!]!
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby tallchris on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Came across a cheap Slash-era pressing of Wild Gift with a damaged cover last night. Hadn't heard that record all way through in a long time.

I love the first two records to death. I remember seeing the first Decline when I was a little dude and being totally blown away by their songs in the movie. Was really stoked to find that two-fer CD that had LA and WG put together.

Only caught up with the third and fourth records years later, and there are great songs on there, but they don't hit me the same way as the first two.

Exene was a babe BITD:

NC.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby a leg plaster on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:49 pm

(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby Frank Decent on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Quality band. Love those harmonies. Good pick me up.
TomWanderer wrote:I saw a band a few weeks ago that was very interesting, I was really into the music. I went to their merch table and they had a cassette, a t-shirt, and a book of poetry. I bought nothing.
Frank Decent

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:27 pm

tallchris wrote:Exene was a babe BITD:

NC.

This photo was on the cover of a west coast punk comp back in the day. It leaves an impression.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 pm

It's also worth pointing out that Tony was wrecking shit in mid-period X(maybe even better than Billy) -

3:30
numberthirty

Postby noise&light on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 am

X - The Unheard Music is available on Hulu right now.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby Ranxerox on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:20 am

Great band.

First three records are pretty stellar.
Ranxerox