Crapagandhi?
42%
Not Crapagandhi?
58%

Total votes : 126

Re: band: Propagandhi

Postby Andrew. on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:36 am

154 wrote:
Steve V. wrote:I'm genuinely sorry for anyone that can't "get into" this band.

http://www.puffgames.com/punkomatic/

^This is irrelevant to every album this band has put out in the 21st century. Like I said: I hate pop-punk as a genre. And I don't listen to that period of Propagandhi.

New album is so good it's scary. Propagandhi has obvious influences yet sound like no other band at this point. B/c they're truly great.

That said, I get why people don't like them. Just like I can see why people don't like Shellac or Yo La Tengo or Bedhead or High on Fire, even though I love them.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Steve V. wrote:
"We describe the sensation as a tearing in our chests and there is a quality in Freiburg’s father’s post-war wail that reaches through the world’s worst speakers and beseeches anyone who happens by, on their way to somewhere else – clicking through the endless screens for the garbage on the shelves (reflections of ourselves) – to consider the cost of all this shit we seem to think will fill our perforated souls. We’re more hole than human being, can’t wash away that stink. 13 billion years in the making: a live, unfiltered moment. An unscripted encroachment upon the province of routine evil – of all-too-human people. So pious, so peaceful. So quick to turn on you. Thought I was fucking outta here with two middle fingers in the air. Then like a mile-wide meteor, he came crashing through my door. That’s just how it goes. And everybody knows ain’t too much can be done. All the avarice and greed and puny human hatreds that dare to come between two human hearts. I try not to live in fear and I’m truly grateful for every happy moment here. Upstairs I hear her voice softly singing to him and I come undone. Something wicked this way comes. That’s just how it goes and everybody knows ain’t too much can be done."

This is an outrageously good rock song. So many parts that fit together, and that arpeggiated (or whatever) riff is so tasty (the one they only bring right to the front once!). The dynamic between the marching "that's just how it goes" riff and the quiet single string/voice part ("All the avarice and greed") at the end -- so nice. The parataxis of hearing his wife sing to his son right next to "Something wicked..."

"Look at our collection of hands, heads and feet to see where we’ve been. Embrace this parody: the ending of things you can believe. We’ll drive you ’til you’re skin and bones and when we finally reach the end, you’ll fall into our open arms, accept our tears of sympathy. Make way for our emptiness. A descent that never ends ’til the one last living thing is the next thing to go. You should know by now that we never come in peace. Endure this tragedy, wrap yourselves in our fantasies. When you think of all you’ve lost, weigh it with what you’ve gained in trade. We’ve given the greatest gift: this savior that will never rise. The Bringer of Greater Things. Creator of Brighter Days. The city cops, a sub-zero night. A midnight ride out of town. The passenger was found frozen to the snow. Our enduring legacy. We bring a better way. Our handshake crushing bone. The blankets that keep you warm, we’ve soiled with disease. The Bringer of Greater Things. Creator of Brighter Days. The hollow songs you’ll sing at the ending of your day."

This one, too. The "midnight ride out of town" refers to the police practice (in the prairies) of driving natives out of the city to the edge of reserves -- or just to nowhere -- in the dead of winter and throwing them into the ditch to freeze to death. Beautiful and devastating song.

Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm blaring Failed States right now. Their records always pull me through weak ass portions of my life.

This song gets to me every time:

AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Andrew. on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 am

That song was an early contender for my favorite on the album. Todd is so pure. I had no idea about the song's explicit reference at all. Testament again to some lyrical craft that arises from but isn't limited to the gut and heart.

Todd talks about 12 basic tracks on the album: http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/9/List ... k-insights
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby kerble on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 am

seriously, thanks for the hookup, bleh.. I've not heard a lot of this stuff for years, as my turntable has been out of commission for ages. The neat surprise was realizing that "Mutual Friend" off I'd Rather Be Flag Burning became "Rio De San Atlanta, Manitoba" on Less Talk, More Rock.

Failed States is really good. It's pretty much just a thrash record, and I like that. It's odd how apolitical the lyrics are on that record as a whole. it's really sappy. Haven't sat with Supporting Caste yet, but will soon. I really love this band.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm

kerble wrote: Haven't sat with Supporting Caste yet, but will soon.

You're in for a treat my dude!

Supporting Caste is, in my opinion, the highest they have ever reached and I love all of their albums to death.

Such a brilliant album. I should actually be posting a couple of songs off of Supporting Caste in the 'has a song ever made you cry' thread.

There was a couple of months there when that record came out where it felt like my only real friend was that record for months on end.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I roped PRFer Steve V. into writing a review of the latest album. Not exactly timely on my part, but plenty of our devoted subscribers live on farms, Indian reserves, and fishing boats, so it'll be news to some of em.

http://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/ ... ure-thrash

I enlisted Steve's review after Chris Hannah bailed on an interview with us. Chris's podcast partner Derek is actually our web designer/master.

http://escapevelocityradio.com/show
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SorenKierkegaardsMom on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:47 am

Wow. Really cool yet strange to see this band talked about on here. Being that they are from my hometown, I think of them a lot differently than the rest of you. Particularly, as this place seems to be worlds away in the context of rock history. And to be honest I've never really listened to them that much....oh....the shame. I must redeem myself for this.
SorenKierkegaardsMom
carter family
carter family

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 am

SorenKierkegaardsMom wrote:Wow. Really cool yet strange to see this band talked about on here. Being that they are from my hometown, I think of them a lot differently than the rest of you. Particularly, as this place seems to be worlds away in the context of rock history. And to be honest I've never really listened to them that much....oh....the shame. I must redeem myself for this.

Go see them and buy their records dude! Propagandhi really are one of the greatest living bands.

Are you from Winnipeg? Portage La Prairie?
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby SorenKierkegaardsMom on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 am

Winnipeg man! Ever been to such a place?
SorenKierkegaardsMom
carter family
carter family

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I have not! But if it's suitable enough for the gents in Propagandhi, I'm sure it can't be too bad at all!

Been playing Potemkin City Limits a lot lately. That record is contender for my favorite out of their discography. It's perfect to me. Jesus H. Chris, the Rod, and Jordy boy went for broke on that LP. It's pays off hard. Such a rewarding listen and for me has stood the test of time.

AnthonyVillalobos

Postby mt on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 am

I have always been really on the fence about these guys (leaning not crap). Last Saturday, when the Blackhawks were on Hockey Night in Canada, the guys at The Committed Indian had the lyrics for "Dear Coach's Corner" as the headers for their threads for each of the periods (brutal viewing loss to the Leafs, BTW). Had to google the lyrics, and have been listening to the tune ever since.
phpBB [media]

Still some waffles, but I checked out Supporting Caste and was into all but 1 song. So, not crap.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby harpseal2 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:40 am

This fuckin' band.

I fucking love Propagandhi.

Everything they have put out just gets better and better.

Failed States and Supporting Caste should be in the top 5 albums ever recorded.

NOT CRAP
and never will be crap.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby Andrew. on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:30 am

mt wrote:I have always been really on the fence about these guys (leaning not crap). Last Saturday, when the Blackhawks were on Hockey Night in Canada, the guys at The Committed Indian had the lyrics for "Dear Coach's Corner" as the headers for their threads for each of the periods (brutal viewing loss to the Leafs, BTW). Had to google the lyrics, and have been listening to the tune ever since.
phpBB [media]

So good:

Dear Ron MacLean,
I wouldn’t bother
with these questions
if I didn’t sense some spiritual connection.
We may not be the same
but it’s not like we’re from different planets:
we both love this game so much we can hardly fucking stand it.
Alberta-born and prairie-raised.
Seems like there ain’t a sheet of ice north of Fargo I ain’t played.
From Penhold to the Gatineau,
every fond memory of childhood that I know
is somehow connected to the culture of this game.
I can’t just let it go.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:46 pm

big_dave wrote:Midterm papers: the band

Cute quip, but it says more about you as a dismissive British intellectual than it does about this band of prairie hosers.

The dudes in this band are as passionate about hockey and 80s speed metal as they are about politics. And the musical chops they've developed after decades of uninterrupted touring and recording together, as best friends, put to shame the cultural contributions and achievements of basically anyone who would scoff at the band for not writing lyrics informed by Foucault or Bourdieu.

phpBB [media]

They're good dudes and great musicians. I understand not liking their music, but dismissing the band out of hand is just lazy.

phpBB [media]
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 pm

This is the definition of punk to me. Hanging out in your jogging pants, showing fans how to play your riffs.

phpBB [media]
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby NewDarkAge on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Andrew. wrote:This is the definition of punk to me. Hanging out in your jogging pants, showing fans how to play your riffs.

phpBB [media]

His Latin pronunciation is awful though.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby mazacultura on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I've never been able to get into this band, but I'm glad they exist.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:53 am

One of the few bands that has actually changed my life.

I remember being really stoned, laying down just staring at the insert art for Potemkin City Limits. I know there are no songs about veganism on that album, but from that day forward I decided to take on a vegan diet immediately.

That was eight years ago and it's one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Seen them live a bunch of times and every single one of those shows was fucking great beyond belief.

Their progression as a band is perfect in my opinion.

Love these guys.

Not Crap at all.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Andrew. on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm an atypical fan in that they had no pivotal effect on me politically or in terms of my lifestyle. I hate pop punk, and I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian. I've only been on board since Today's Empires and my politics are much less lifestyle and consumption oriented than many of their fans.

As smart, sensitive prairie boys, it's their anti-colonial politics, their self-aware and self-depreciating humor, and their profound love of metal that sets the ground for my love of the band. Chris's veganism gets a lot more play than Jord's abiding Haiti solidarity organizing, for example, and that's a shame. From the influence and representation of the band, you'd almost think their political activism was about bringing kale and tofu to Indigenous peoples or Haitians, which would be insane.

Try going onto an "Indian" reservation in Canada and preaching veganism. You'd be laughed out the door as a presumptuous settler within seconds.

The band is actually deeply engaged in non-anarcho-white-dude political struggles, much as they are also caught up in a lot of Chris Hedges-style white-dude moralism. Nevertheless, they had enough basic common sense not to be swept up in the Obama fever that PRF liberals were subject to not so long ago (i.e., this band's politics are far more savvy, historically, than the average aluminium-beard PRFer).
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap