home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Triple Douche-Dome: Bono v. Sting v. Billy Joel

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who's the biggest rock and roll douchebag: Bono, Sting, or Billy Joel?

Douchebag, Bloody Douchebag!
40%
Every Little Thing He Does Is Douchey
26%
He's Always A Douchebag To Me
34%

Total votes : 88

Re: Triple Douche-Dome: Bono v. Sting v. Billy Joel

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Here's footage of Bono bogarting Tinariwen's set at the 2012 Festival In The Desert in Timbuktu. Simultaneously hilarious and unwatchable. My man is really getting his douche on here.

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby thyklopth on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

calhern wrote:If Paul Simon were included in this poll, I would have voted for him.

For some reason I feel like Paul Simon is the epitome of self important douchebag.

Apparently Los Lobos has your back: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/04/rhymin-simon-no.html
"In some way, perhaps it is the uncool things that we like despite ourselves, that makes us unique. People take a lot of crap here for owing up to their lapses in accepted good taste, but I intend to celebrate it." -Anthony Flack
thyklopth
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby encalmo on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 am

I was all set to vote for Sting until I saw the video of Bono onstage with Tinariwen. That was intolerable. Tinariwen are a great band who, as Touareg people from Mali, have endured genuine hardship, but on top of everything else they shouldn't have to put up with Bono making a prick of himself while they are trying to play some music.
encalmo
president
president

Postby Bill Swansea on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:13 pm

New candidate:

The state of him, like.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 am

Say, who the fuck is that now?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Bill Swansea on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:58 am

That's Paul Weller, king of hairstyles.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by Adam Sr on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:14 pm

This exemplary thread needed to be bumped.

And Billy Joel still wins, although Sting really is competition.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:43 pm

thyklopth wrote:
calhern wrote:If Paul Simon were included in this poll, I would have voted for him.

For some reason I feel like Paul Simon is the epitome of self important douchebag.

Apparently Los Lobos has your back: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/04/rhymin-simon-no.html

It seems like Los Lobos resent being treated like session musicians.

But I don't actually think there's anything wrong with creating an album like that - getting lots of different people in to jam, pay them up-front for their contribution, cut the results together and make something out of all the bits and pieces you've collected. And it's obvious Paul Simon did go and make a Paul Simon song out of each one of those tracks.

I just think they had a different set of expectations about the nature of the job.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
thyklopth wrote:

It seems like Los Lobos resent being treated like session musicians.

But I don't actually think there's anything wrong with creating an album like that - getting lots of different people in to jam, pay them up-front for their contribution, cut the results together and make something out of all the bits and pieces you've collected. And it's obvious Paul Simon did go and make a Paul Simon song out of each one of those tracks.

I just think they had a different set of expectations about the nature of the job.

That's funny, 'cos you'd have thought he could at least credited chord changes, melodies, whatever to the rightful writer. He actually slandered Los Lobos in the press by saying they only contacted him after the record was a hit. For royalties. Of a song they wrote. The fucking gall of those guys, amirite?!

Oh, and he broke the apartheid boycott. Granted, he gave a perfectly understandable excuse along the lines of "my art has no political boundaries." Cool, dude. Wait, what art? "Call Me Al?" Jesus fuck.

I actually like Graceland. Maybe half of Rhythm of the Saints too. But there is undoubtedly an air of douche surrounding Paul Simon.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 am

sulfur)addict wrote:That's funny, 'cos you'd have thought he could at least credited chord changes, melodies, whatever to the rightful writer.

Yeah, maybe. But different expectations, you know - I could see it. Like, if somebody said, "come down to the studio and jam for a day, just make up some shit or whatever, I'll give you some cash and maybe some of what you play will find its way onto my album in some form."

Well, I'd be ok with that. That's a fun day's work.

But if I wasn't ok with that - if I was expecting to get songwriting credit, then yeah that is something you'd think they would have discussed BEFOREHAND. The fact that Los Lobos apparently don't know how to jam - and seem to even struggle to grasp the concept - goes a long way to explain why they are only playing on one track.

Oh, and he broke the apartheid boycott. Granted, he gave a perfectly understandable excuse along the lines of "my art has no political boundaries." Cool, dude. Wait, what art? "Call Me Al?" Jesus fuck.

Well, that's a whole other matter. But it WAS a pretty fucked up situation to place a ban on working with these innocent musicians. I can understand why the musicians in question were inclined to say "fuck that". I probably would too if I were them. I always thought that aspect of the boycott was weird. Like protesting Israeli apartheid by boycotting Palestinian artists.

Paul Simon was obviously not pro-Apartheid.

I actually like Graceland. Maybe half of Rhythm of the Saints too. But there is undoubtedly an air of douche surrounding Paul Simon.

Well, yeah there is. But that Los Lobos business... nah, I don't have too much sympathy there. I've worked as a contract artist before.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I'll bite to the "difference in expectation" argument. I don't agree, but I can see what you mean.

But in regards to Paul Simon and South Africa, it's not that Simon was pro-Apartheid, but he didn't seem terribly against it by jumping the boycott. At the very least, it shows a lack of regard for the oppressed people of South Africa. And when you factor in that he was making a "world music" record - one that actually uses a few traditional South African melodies as a basis for a few songs - while he remained wilfully ignorant of the plight of the people whose culture he was exploiting, well, what was the point then? To make an "exotic" album?

Yeah. Full scale douche.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:38 pm

He wanted to work with these musicians, and they wanted to work with him. I'm sure he didn't agree with the musicians he was playing with being oppressed. The fact that he was working with them was in itself an anti-Apartheid act, surely?

But what he didn't do was gain approval from the ANC. And I guess the people he played with also didn't feel the need to ask the ANC's permission. Some people think that the Graceland album actually made a positive contribution to the anti-Apartheid movement - much more so than if he had simply not worked with these musicians and not given them wide exposure and an international career.

It's really a question of disagreement about political strategy. Not kowtowing to the ANC is not the same as being pro-Apartheid.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap