home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Triple Douche-Dome: Bono v. Sting v. Billy Joel

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who's the biggest rock and roll douchebag: Bono, Sting, or Billy Joel?

Douchebag, Bloody Douchebag!
40%
Every Little Thing He Does Is Douchey
26%
He's Always A Douchebag To Me
34%

Total votes : 88

Re: Triple Douche-Dome: Bono v. Sting v. Billy Joel

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

From least douchey to douchiest:

Billy Joel - never hear about him anymore and if you do it's because he got drunk and did something embarrassing

Bono - dude is a total self centered cockbag, his band went from being bearable to being a parody and he's friends with the Pope

Sting - recorded an album titled The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby FuzzBob on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:Image
I've listened to this album, and it truly sucks. Billy Joel hits rock bottom.

Can you describe it? For I have ears, but do not hear.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:00 pm

Ah, the poor man's Paul McCartney. Nothing, I repeat...nothing gives me more pleasure than reading the C/NC Billy Joel thread. So great. I re-read it often (and have repeated Noah's "billy joel should go to hell" more times than I can count), but I'd be remiss if I didn't cop to sincerely enjoying a scant handful of late-70's BJ songs: "Just the Way You Are" takes me to my happy place, and "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" is not crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

Sting. I am not a Police fan in the slightest, but, goddamn; "Synchronicity II" is a motherfucking jam and I'll also admit to rocking the Nothing Like The Sun cassette way back when. He's also hot and he keeps. getting. hotter. What's up with Trudy, though?

Bono. I like some U2 but think it's his work outside of playing music where he is sincerely trying to make more of an impact. Dude doesn't even work with tearjerking manipulations, just straight facts. I think this is admirable. He is also somewhat easy-on-the-eyes.

Billy Joel looks like a frog on a bender.

Billy Joel it is.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Teacher's Pet on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm

vockins wrote:I went to an Islanders game last Thanksgiving. The Nassau Coliseum retired Billy Joel's "number."

I realize the number of people reading this that have any experience with Nassau Coliseum is probably limited, so you'll have to take my word for it when I tell you that situation is perfect.

Nice!

My only Nassau Coliseum experience is going there to see BILLY JOEL in about 1987. I was around eleven. I went with Mom and Dad and my best friend Pete. My Dad had worked on some Billy Joel music videos around that time and I think he had free tickets. I remember enjoying it all right. I don't remember much about it but I think that's pretty much like seeing The Boss at Giants Stadium or even The Stone Pony. Home turf big time.

I find it impossible to choose between these three... But I think Sting probably clinched the top spot with that Christmas Album he did last year. Hoo boy.

- Robin
Teacher's Pet
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Colonel Panic on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm

RSMurphy wrote:"Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" is not crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

He traded in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ack-ack-ack-ACK-ACK!

You've got to be kidding me. That song sucks.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby ERawk on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:41 pm

vockins wrote:I went to an Islanders game last Thanksgiving. The Nassau Coliseum retired Billy Joel's "number."

I realize the number of people reading this that have any experience with Nassau Coliseum is probably limited, so you'll have to take my word for it when I tell you that situation is perfect.

As a Ranger fan and Billy Joel hater, yes that is fitting.

Since there is an accident causing lengthy delays at any time of the day on any Long Island highway, how Billy Joel has not yet met his death in a car accident on the Southern State is beyond me.

I vote Billy Joel.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Richard on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 pm

ERawk wrote:

As a Ranger fan and Billy Joel hater, yes that is fitting.

Since there is an accident causing lengthy delays at any time of the day on any Long Island highway, how Billy Joel has not yet met his death in a car accident on the Southern State is beyond me.

I vote Billy Joel.

OK.
I was born on Long Island and I still live on Long Island and due to that fact- I will always hold a place in my heart for Billy Joel. I've heard all the local talk "yo I saw Billy Joel fucking wrecked in Huntington grabbing a waitress' ass.... yo I just saw Billy Joel in the Italian place in Smithtown- he was wasted... yo man I saw Joel in Southampton fuckin around..."

yeah and I've seen Billy Joel in Port Washington eating dinner acting like a normal human being. He's not a a monster.

here's the scoop:
Joel is a dude you wanna chill with and get get wasted with. Maybe he'll bust out "Honesty"
Bono's the dude you use to get close to the pope.
sting's an asshole but the Police were kinda good for awhile don't play like you didn't like the Police

If the LIE is backed up to the balls I pray it isn't Billy Joel killing someone; god knows I want him to use a car service or whatever but you just don't understand if you didnt grow up with his music all day all night.
condoms filled with frog bollocks and sawdust
Richard
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:"Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" is not crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

He traded in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ack-ack-ack-ACK-ACK!

You've got to be kidding me. That song sucks.

Dude, this song is tits. There's a well-placed cymbal crash that always gets me, and I love how for the coda he actually stops ripping-off the Beatles and tries his hand at Clapton-pilfering. Oh, and when I was a kid instead of hearing "And if he can't drive with a broken back" I thought I heard "A nigger can't drive with a broken back." To this day this is what I hear and I think it's funny and not crap.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby calhern on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Being a born and raised Long Islander, exposed to years and years of Billy Joel on the radio during my youth, I have to admit some of his songs are a bit of a nostalgic guilty pleasure. And "Vienna" is a genuinely damn good song. I don't really get all these accusations that Billy Joel is a douchebag. He seems like an ok dude to me, am I missing out on some stories (besides all the stories about him plowing through some poor dude's house)?

When I was younger I liked The Police, I don't really listen to them anymore. Sting is...well, a jerk off. And his solo career is horrendously bad. I had a professor who made us listen to a Sting song and dissect the "post modern elements" in it. I am so fucking glad I don't have that professor anymore.

My hatred for U2 has died down in the years, but I would still never willingly listen to them (except for that song "One", I like that song). So Bono wins.
calhern
linus pauling
linus pauling

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 pm

vockins wrote:so you'll have to take my word for it when I tell you that situation is perfect.

Poetic justice, of a sort.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby calhern on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 pm

If Paul Simon were included in this poll, I would have voted for him.

For some reason I feel like Paul Simon is the epitome of self important douchebag.
calhern
linus pauling
linus pauling

Postby Boombats on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:22 am

calhern wrote:If Paul Simon were included in this poll, I would have voted for him.

For some reason I feel like Paul Simon is the epitome of self important douchebag.

YES WAY. Fucking hate that troll and his ridiculous hippie wife Edie Brickell.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:25 am

FuzzBob wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:Image
I've listened to this album, and it truly sucks. Billy Joel hits rock bottom.

Can you describe it? For I have ears, but do not hear.

It's Billy Joel playing a Hammond with drums behind him. Basically an electrified young Billy Joel with angst.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Get dog costumes on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 am

fredrock wrote:I would propose that even early on, Joel and Sting always displayed more than a soupcon of D-baggery. People recognized it and judged accordingly, so their fall was swift.
Why there are still legions of fawning admirers of all things U2, and especially Bono, is beyond me. I'm certain they don't even realize how tedious their whole schtick is, which only makes it more pathetic

Billy Joel's "swift fall?" He was totally successful as a popular musician.

I don't understand the vitriol toward Billy Joel. He's probably not even a douchebag, and doesn't belong in this poll.

Stewart Copeland Forum: The nickname Stingo,is disrespectful?
cneutron wrote:I (correctly) pointed out
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Gramsci on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:20 am

Bono...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby placeholder on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 am

Billy Joel is the worst by far.

Then Sting, then Bono.

They're all abysmal, but U2 are the least bad of these bands.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Domagoj on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 am

RSMurphy, salute. I laughed. I had drank some red wine. Also, less important, I hardly know who Billy Joel is.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby fredrock on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24 am

Get dog costumes wrote:
fredrock wrote:I would propose that even early on, Joel and Sting always displayed more than a soupcon of D-baggery. People recognized it and judged accordingly, so their fall was swift.

Billy Joel's "swift fall?" He was totally successful as a popular musician.

I don't understand the vitriol toward Billy Joel. He's probably not even a douchebag, and doesn't belong in this poll.

I was speaking to their/his demeanor. Joel and Sting came off as pompous and self -absorbed almost from the start, whereas Bono seemed simply clueless-more of a Geldorff wanna' be, than egomaniac.
I knew a guy who grew up with BJ and he described him as being an annoying little greaser tough-heavy on attitude, light on delivery. I give him credit, though, for not assuming a moniker designed to encourage idol status like the others here. While we're at it, you can throw The Edge into that category as well !!
Like Randall, I like much of Joel's song catalog (notable exception-Piano Man), and The Police had their moments too.
U2, not so much. They just don't speak to me--wanga, wanga guitar drones and boring repetitive lyrics. Their cult-like fan following baffles me. Just look at the number of tribute bands they have spawned and the crowds they draw--huh?
I wish they would go away.
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:45 am

Domagoj wrote:I hardly know who Billy Joel is.

Domagoj, turn off the gas and pack yr bags because today's the day you travel to Allentown; featuring Mark Rivera on metal pipe!

fredrock wrote:Like Randall, I like much of Joel's catalog...

Goddammit, Frederick, you take that back! :smt013

Randall wrote:I'd be remiss if I didn't cop to sincerely enjoying a scant handful of late-70's BJ songs.

"Scant," my friend. As in, I s'cant admit to liking much of Joel's catalog.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby fredrock on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:22 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
fredrock wrote:Like Randall, I like much of Joel's catalog...

Goddammit, Frederick, you take that back! :smt013
Randall wrote:I'd be remiss if I didn't cop to sincerely enjoying a scant handful of late-70's BJ songs.

"Scant," my friend. As in, I s'cant admit to liking much of Joel's catalog.

I stand corrected--read too much into it. Maybe SOME would have been better than MUCH ???

For me, none of these artist's merit a revisit on my part-OK in their time, ONLY.

"I'd rather listen to The Whales" (he said, while boot-licking his way toward an apology)
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap