Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
67%
NOT CRAP
33%

Total votes : 227

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 am

tocharian wrote:Compare "Yonkers", video and song, to the junk you were cranking out at Kinkos 20 years ago and you have to admit it's pretty staggering what smart kids who grew up tinkering with Photoshop and sound editing software are capable of by age 19.

I don't mean to brag but...
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Goblin is self-indulgent but I can't imagine any of the tracks missing or being any different (even "Fish"). I'm not sure that "Analog" adds anything, but it's great.

Anyway, when did music all become so well-adjusted? Songs about relationships and beer, watch me sing as I strum...what I'm supposed to relate to that? I wish.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Antero on Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

tocharian wrote:Undying respect for Syd the Kyd.

Syd's mixing is awesome. All the OF records slap, despite being recorded cheaply using god knows what and involving all manner of disparate elements.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby tocharian on Wed May 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:Goblin is self-indulgent but I can't imagine any of the tracks missing or being any different (even "Fish"). I'm not sure that "Analog" adds anything, but it's great.

Anyway, when did music all become so well-adjusted? Songs about relationships and beer, watch me sing as I strum...what I'm supposed to relate to that? I wish.

Let's buy guns and kill those kids with dads and moms
With nice homes, 41k's and nice ass lawns

Fucking anthemic. OF, in 19 words.
tocharian

Postby SecondEdition on Wed May 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Antero wrote:

Syd's mixing is awesome. All the OF records slap, despite being recorded cheaply using god knows what and involving all manner of disparate elements.

Her beats on Mike G's album are pretty great too.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
Antero wrote:

I bet they're even better now, judging by the way Left Brain went from 0-60 in a year. Mike G's next album is going to be goddamn great. I hope he gets his due, he's certainly on much more of a grown-man-rap tip than the rest of OF.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed May 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Antero wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:
Antero wrote:

I bet they're even better now, judging by the way Left Brain went from 0-60 in a year. Mike G's next album is going to be goddamn great. I hope he gets his due, he's certainly on much more of a grown-man-rap tip than the rest of OF.

He has the weakest flow of all OF. Easily. I actually like his voice, though. Dude's verse on "Window" and his song on Radical were both pretty good, too.

The hook on that song gives me hope that he'll get better.

I'll echo the love for Syd. She's fucking amazing. She's under 20, right? That's unreal.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby J. Burns on Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Goblin is decent. Tyler's beats get a bit same-y and there are too many 7-8 minute songs.

Really, my favorite part on the whole album is Hodgy's verse on "Sandwitches."

Hodgy rules.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Antero on Thu May 12, 2011 4:04 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:He has the weakest flow of all OF. Easily. I actually like his voice, though. Dude's verse on "Window" and his song on Radical were both pretty good, too.

Man, no way. He's got a fantastic voice and seriously classic style. He switches up rhyme schemes like Bun B. Ali is one of the weaker OF albums but I'd chalk that up to composition and production, given that he completely bodied that Mos Def beat on Radical.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Sam on Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm

mike g raps over under and around beats fuck you talkin bout

oh antero said that already.
Sam
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Isabelle Gall on Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 pm

The Lil Silva remix of "Yonkers" now exists as a white label, if that pleases you.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dovey on Fri May 13, 2011 7:24 pm

J. Burns wrote:Hodgy rules.

Yes.

Listenin' to The Dena Tape right now
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby IDNG on Sat May 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Crap. Full on. Boring as hell, which might be my biggest problem with them. I really can't grasp how everyone is all about them. I can't see it. None of it is nearly as great as it's made out to be. Is hip hop that dead these days that something like this can pass for "great"?

The beats are ok. Some are pretty good but it's nothing new or original just maybe a bit different to what's been going on the last few years. Most of the flow is average and unoriginal.

The performance on Fallon was boring. Dude ran around and jumped over the couch or whatever. Wow. They yelled a lot. Wow.

They "mosh" or jump around or whatever. So did Onyx and House of Pain.

Dude jumped off a fairly low roof at sxsw! Wow. Didn't Eddie Vedder jump off a balcony in that Pearl Jam video?

They're "punk" or "revolutionary". No. No they're not. I will give them credit for how they got to where they are. They're smart folks. They do it themselves. So what. So do a fuckload of other people. And with music and video technology so easily accessible why is this surprising? Is it that in an age where everyone and their brother can make and distribute music and many do that something like this seems more like gold because it's surrounded by so much more crap?

They're young! Not really? Why are people in their late 20s or 30s sounding like a bunch of old foggies when they talk about OF? The music of rock/pop/rap/dance whatever has traditionally been made by kids. Why is this any different? Godflesh made Streetcleaner when Broadrick was 18 or 19. Dischord was started by a bunch of kids. NWA was about the same age range when they started. So what? And ALL of those are FAR more original than OF.

And the whole "unfiltered, kids-shocking-the-parents" thing is a lame excuse for essentially justifying their constant use of "faggot" and seemingly rampant homophobia. Whether they are actual homphobes or not is irrelevant (yes I know the girl is apparently gay) the fact they CONSTANTLY spew that shit is disgusting. When I was a kid and felt the need to "shock" I didn't do it by shouting "faggot" all the time. What might actually be MORE shocking in actuality is if they didn't say that shit and used what they have to really go against the grain. And some of Tyler's responses to this in interviews make him sound like a petulant brat. In an age where people can't marry who they love and countries are trying to use the DEATH PENALTY against gays, I find the use of this type of crap by OF and anyone else abhorrent and people's justification of it weak.

Pros - They're smart, talented folks. They make beats that are mildly interesting.

Cons - Everything else.

The ridiculous level of hyperbole spewed about this group is bordering on the absurd.

Material's Intonarumori and Techno Animal's Brotherhood of the Bomb along with anything by Dalek are far more interesting on every level than anything OF has done.
IDNG
novitiate
novitiate

Postby Boombats on Sat May 14, 2011 6:00 pm

IDNG wrote:Is hip hop that dead these days that something like this can pass for "great"?

Yes. We lost the War On 33 1/3.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby IDNG on Sat May 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Boombats wrote:
IDNG wrote:Is hip hop that dead these days that something like this can pass for "great"?

Yes. We lost the War On 33 1/3.

Excellent.
IDNG
novitiate
novitiate

Postby Antero on Sat May 14, 2011 6:47 pm

IDNG wrote:And the whole "unfiltered, kids-shocking-the-parents" thing is a lame excuse for essentially justifying their constant use of "faggot" and seemingly rampant homophobia. Whether they are actual homphobes or not is irrelevant (yes I know the girl is apparently gay) the fact they CONSTANTLY spew that shit is disgusting. When I was a kid and felt the need to "shock" I didn't do it by shouting "faggot" all the time. What might actually be MORE shocking in actuality is if they didn't say that shit and used what they have to really go against the grain. And some of Tyler's responses to this in interviews make him sound like a petulant brat. In an age where people can't marry who they love and countries are trying to use the DEATH PENALTY against gays, I find the use of this type of crap by OF and anyone else abhorrent and people's justification of it weak.

This is just dumb.

For one, conflating their rampant use of "faggot" with homophobia isn't thought out at all, given that the sole manifestation of anything remotely resembling homophobia is the use of the word itself. There are not, for example, the direct anti-gay threats and denigration from Eminem's shock-value phase, nor are there the "no homos" and constant assertions of masculinity that show up in a lot of mainstream rap. Instead you have what, Tyler throwing a single word at the entire world, self included?

Now, if one wants to argue that such a word should not be used at all you have an entirely different discussion. But you're engaged in a reflexive, empty analysis that also happens to be precisely why every single thinkpiece about these guys is an awful mess.* You didn't manage to say anything about them; all that happened is that he said "faggot" and you were shocked.

*maybe with the exception of that Poetry Magazine one which was at least about OF rather than about the writer.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby IDNG on Sat May 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Antero wrote:This is just dumb.

For one, conflating their rampant use of "faggot" with homophobia isn't thought out at all, given that the sole manifestation of anything remotely resembling homophobia is the use of the word itself. There are not, for example, the direct anti-gay threats and denigration from Eminem's shock-value phase, nor are there the "no homos" and constant assertions of masculinity that show up in a lot of mainstream rap. Instead you have what, Tyler throwing a single word at the entire world, self included?

Now, if one wants to argue that such a word should not be used at all you have an entirely different discussion. But you're engaged in a reflexive, empty analysis that also happens to be precisely why every single thinkpiece about these guys is an awful mess.*

Well it's not just their use of the word that I'm talking about though that's the prime example. There's that police song I listened to where they talking about hitting "queers" with their car. There's a "no homo" bit in another of their tracks etc etc etc. It's bullshit. I've listened to a bunch of their stuff and read a bunch of interviews etc to try and figure them out. To see what all the press and hyperbole is about. This bs is prevelent on a bunch of the tracks I listened to and all over their twitter and tumblr and whatnot. And "faggot" is not just a word. It has very clear connotations. Like I said, whether or not they are homophobes is irrelevant. It's the appearance as such that I think is dumb and not very clever.

Antero wrote:You didn't manage to say anything about them; all that happened is that he said "faggot" and you were shocked.

Did you not read the rest of my post? Where I said they were smart and talented? Where I said I found them boring, unoriginal and not deserving of the praise? Or that I find their beats to ok and enjoyable but not original and their flow to be ok but standard fare? That's how I feel about them and it seems I actually said a lot about them. I just don't think they are good. And the "faggot" thing just adds to that. I find it to be weak and pathetic to the point that if I thought they were great I still wouldn't support them. "Shocked"? Not in the least. I just usually expect the type of ignorant, self involved language they use to come from mouth breathing roided yahoos at the local sports bar. Or the high school football team. Or the Westboro Baptists. What I said I don't understand is people's shaky justification for OF's use of a homophobic bent to shock. They can spew that crap all they want. Doesn't make them cool.

And this quote from a tyler interview is pretty fucking stupid.

Tyler wrote:"I'm not homophobic, I just think 'faggot' hits and hurts people."

source: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... _homo.html

I get it. You like them. Fine whatever. But there isn't a reasonable justification for this crap. If it doesn't bother you with them then no problem. But people shouldn't make excuses for it.
IDNG
novitiate
novitiate

Postby eephour on Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Can we all just rejoice in the fact that there is music being made by young people in this day and age that aren't pussies. Fuck, they're making hip hop edgy again.

As much as I wanted to not like these guys and write them off as flash in the pan, def jux a decade later type shit, this kids are the truth.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Boombats on Sat May 14, 2011 7:59 pm

eephour wrote:Can we all just rejoice in the fact that there is music being made by young people in this day and age that aren't pussies. Fuck, they're making hip hop edgy again.

As much as I wanted to not like these guys and write them off as flash in the pan, def jux a decade later type shit, this kids are the truth.

Yeah, pussies are bad. "Edgy" is art, is genius. All we need is edges on shit, what the fuck happened to all the edges? Fucking pussies sanded down all the damn edges. Fuck. This nouns are the noun.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby eephour on Sat May 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Essentialy.

I think I'm stoned after reading that.
eephour

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap