home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Collective: Odd Future

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
153
68%
NOT CRAP
72
32%
 
Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:50 am

tmidgett wrote:Wow. Yeah, huh?

Sounds bad to me. Like bad music.

Maybe so dumb and lowest-common-denominator that it comes out the other side and sounds innovative to some people. It is the 2nd thing I've heard in recent months that may be having this effect (tUnE-yArDs being the other).

I think the rapping is bad--technically bad. Poorly done and uninteresting sonically. The lyrics are dumb. I don't care about the bad words and stuff about killing and women and gay people and killing both women and gay people.

The beats are dumb.

The music is just nothing. Mindless noodling. It doesn't sound aggressive to me in the slightest.

Yonkers, bad. The Jimmy Fallon thing, bad. I listened to that Mellowgroove thing. Bad.

The dudes seem a little unhinged, but so what. They're about as unhinged as Slipknot or Gwar or Salem or something. No patch on a lot of other stuff.

Utterly unmoved. Let me know if you're still paying attention in ten years. Maybe I'm missing something.

Crap.


Once again, Tim is right.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: skull

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 am

I'm sad Tim didn't get it.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11174
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Mason on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 am

No, you guys, you don't get it. We're wasting our time listening to this shit.

There's a black president in the White House now.

Don't you see?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
User avatar
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4981
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Antero wrote:I'm sad Tim didn't get it.


It's not that he didn't get it--this isn't deep, multi-layered music with different levels of meaning. In fact, I think it's the exact kind of music where it's pretty clear whether or not you think it's good or not. Definitely not one of the ones where repeated listens open up new interpretations, even though I admittedly have it multiple chances simply because so many people were going apeshit. But yeah . . . no.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: skull

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby steve on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I haven't mentioned this until now because I expected this shit to collapse into its own emptiness the way Salem and Vanilla Ice did before them, but whatever. I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time.

Their music is nothing, but sooner or later these little scrubs are going to get their asses kicked, and I suspect all their bullshit will calm down significantly after that happens.

Unhinged? Nah. Pedestrian eighth-grade shock nonsense fit only to upset grannies. Crazier shit is said at playgrounds every day.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
User avatar
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9247
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby scntfc on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:04 pm

i stand by my not crap vote despite the fact that the earl solo record was the high water mark.

as far as contemporary hip hop is concerned though, death grips makes anything odd future related seem amateur by comparison.
User avatar
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm

scntfc wrote:death grips


LOL
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
User avatar
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm
Location: Mid-Michigan

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby scntfc on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:
scntfc wrote:death grips


LOL


you should submit it as fan art>>>>>>>>>
User avatar
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby matthewbarnhart on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm

steve wrote:I haven't mentioned this until now because I expected this shit to collapse into its own emptiness the way Salem and Vanilla Ice did before them, but whatever. I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time.


They're playing the same stage as Superchunk, just before us. Sowley and I can send them a message from you if you like.
User avatar
matthewbarnhart
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Chicago, Ill

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm

scntfc wrote:as far as contemporary hip hop is concerned though, death grips makes anything odd future related seem amateur by comparison.


I don't mind that. Guy has a cool voice and can rap. I like the music on a few of the other tracks I heard better. That song Guillotine is actually kind of disorienting.
User avatar
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:30 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:It's not that he didn't get it--this isn't deep, multi-layered music with different levels of meaning. In fact, I think it's the exact kind of music where it's pretty clear whether or not you think it's good or not. Definitely not one of the ones where repeated listens open up new interpretations, even though I admittedly have it multiple chances simply because so many people were going apeshit. But yeah . . . no.

Well, yes and no. The thing about Tyler's music is that it has a very strong in-group/out-group dynamic that poses an immediate barrier to engagement, because he's constantly rejecting anything that isn't inside that. It's not simply a matter of the lyrics - that contributes, sure, but anyone who knows anything about rap should not be shocked, given that NWA's "One Less Bitch" dwarfs any shock value lyric Tyler has even vaguely thought of. It's something embedded in his basic posture, and the mercurial way he lashes out.

Lil B does something similar, really, but much friendlier: he's playing a game, and you can play with him or not. If you don't, of course, "Ellen Degeneres" is completely incomprehensible.

So, everybody pretty much knows whether they will like Tyler's music as soon as they hear it, depending on whether or not they're able/willing to get around the initial hazing and into the little gang of his musical world (it probably helps to be an alienated teenager). This is certainly the sort of range of reactions I've seen in the people I've played it for, and in the responses of critics.

The preceding leaves out the rest of OF because, really, they don't do that. Earl Sweatshirt is a lot easier to get - he's just blacking out on some mind-bending technical shit, and Earl/Tyler tracks aren't as anti-listener (because... they're playing a game! cf. Lil B). Domo's Rolling Papers is a different animal altogether. It's just a really good, interesting-sounding rap album about (mostly) weed.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11174
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Evin Relocation on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 am

Image

This shite is terrible. Just terrible. Manages to take everything boring and staid about underground rap music and combine it with Jackass' approach to life and porno-grind's approach to lyrics.

It's like listening to all of those "try-too-hard-to-pull-it-off" groups on Stone's Throw or whatever, but with the addition of rape jokes.

"AWESOME", you say?

No. Not. Nein. Nyet. Crap.
User avatar
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Bay Urr-e-uh.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Ptommydski on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:41 am

steve wrote:I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time.

How did this come about?
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Boombats on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:08 am

Antero wrote:
AnthonyCinder wrote:It's not that he didn't get it--this isn't deep, multi-layered music with different levels of meaning. In fact, I think it's the exact kind of music where it's pretty clear whether or not you think it's good or not. Definitely not one of the ones where repeated listens open up new interpretations, even though I admittedly have it multiple chances simply because so many people were going apeshit. But yeah . . . no.

Well, yes and no. The thing about Tyler's music is that it has a very strong in-group/out-group dynamic that poses an immediate barrier to engagement, because he's constantly rejecting anything that isn't inside that. It's not simply a matter of the lyrics - that contributes, sure, but anyone who knows anything about rap should not be shocked, given that NWA's "One Less Bitch" dwarfs any shock value lyric Tyler has even vaguely thought of. It's something embedded in his basic posture, and the mercurial way he lashes out.

Lil B does something similar, really, but much friendlier: he's playing a game, and you can play with him or not. If you don't, of course, "Ellen Degeneres" is completely incomprehensible.

So, everybody pretty much knows whether they will like Tyler's music as soon as they hear it, depending on whether or not they're able/willing to get around the initial hazing and into the little gang of his musical world (it probably helps to be an alienated teenager). This is certainly the sort of range of reactions I've seen in the people I've played it for, and in the responses of critics.

The preceding leaves out the rest of OF because, really, they don't do that. Earl Sweatshirt is a lot easier to get - he's just blacking out on some mind-bending technical shit, and Earl/Tyler tracks aren't as anti-listener (because... they're playing a game! cf. Lil B). Domo's Rolling Papers is a different animal altogether. It's just a really good, interesting-sounding rap album about (mostly) weed.

Antero is on some clocker reuben level of self-delusion.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20022
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:15 am

On the one, I was making the most obvious statement about the way the whole project is constructed, which should be completely apparent to anyone even starting to discuss it.

On the two, most of y'all don't even understand why a person would be rapping in the first place

yet listen to The Fall
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11174
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Ptommydski on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 am

Is this the story of the Johnny Rotten?
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Luzwei on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 am

Ptommydski wrote:
steve wrote:I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven't wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time.

How did this come about?


Yeah, I was wandering the same thing. What could have happened to put those two at distance to be able to hear each other?
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.


I Joe 4 play.
User avatar
Luzwei
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9000
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Zagreb, Hrvatska

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 am

Antero wrote:On the two, most of y'all don't even understand why a person would be rapping in the first place

yet listen to The Fall


"I like your single!"
"Uh yeah, swag!"


I still like Odd Future despite Goblin being somewhat overblown and disappointing. My favourite thing they've done so far is the Radical mixtape though. I wish they'd sample more and release records as a group more too, as it's always a greater range of styles and topics then.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
User avatar
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8706
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby crustandcrumb on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 am

i will preface this post by saying that i have been into hip hop since i was a kid, understand why dudes rhyme, can spit my favorite verses with the correct cadence, intonation, and enunciation, can get into a convincing b-boy stance etc.

so, i downloaded their discography, including the solo albums and everything. here's how it pans out for me:

about 78% of what i heard was CRAP.
8% was legit but not memorable or innovative (not crap w/ waffles).
11% was NOT CRAP.
3% was "SOME NEXT LEVEL SHIT".

by and large, the lyrical content was CRAP w/ waffles for humor. but i don't really get too much into humor, so..

tyler the creator's voice is NOT CRAP.

i could go on, but think this is sufficient.

</2¢>

edit: here's an example of the out-cold 14% : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGMQtzpy3M
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
User avatar
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm
Location: Mid-Michigan

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 am

crustandcrumb wrote:
scntfc wrote:death grips


LOL


It's a shame they couldn't get this mastered a little louder.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
User avatar
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12135
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: athens, ga

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests