home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Collective: Odd Future

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

CRAP
153
68%
NOT CRAP
72
32%
 
Total votes : 225

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Bernardo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 pm

We wouldn't have met, same time, different cities. I've had that kind of work day before (food poisoning + FOH), it's a blast.
User avatar
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7313
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Mark Lansing on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:21 am

I haven't heard a ton of stuff by Odd Future --I listened to Tyler The Creator's Goblin once through and checked out a few other tunes on line -- but what I have encountered hasn't given me much motivation to seek out more. They're young guys who think it's cool to shock and annoy people, and I suppose on some level they do that. But if you think that makes them punk rock somehow, well, so were The Plasmatics, and they sucked, too -- Odd Future's beat-making skills leave me pretty solidly unmoved. They want me to think they do a lot of drugs, they hate women, they hate gays and will kick my ass if I get in their way. Which is to say they're hip hop's new answer to Lee Ving. If that's the best they can do for a role model, they've got a good eighteen months before they're thoroughly irrelevant.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
User avatar
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Somewhere In The Midwest

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 am

OF is punk/disruptive because of what they do/are, not because they (specifically Tyler, 'cause most of them don't) say "shocking" things. No one who actually listens to rap in any serious fashion has any right to pretend that they're shocked by anything Tyler's said.

I mean, Bun B beat Tyler to the pregnant woman/threesome joke by a cool two decades, and Eminem rapped about actually killing homosexuals and raping his mom.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11174
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby steve on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 am

Antero wrote:OF is punk/disruptive because of what they do/are...

The fuck you say.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
User avatar
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9247
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Ptommydski on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 am

The King is gone but he's not forgotten.
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Mark Lansing on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 am

Antero wrote:OF is punk/disruptive because of what they do/are, not because they (specifically Tyler, 'cause most of them don't) say "shocking" things. No one who actually listens to rap in any serious fashion has any right to pretend that they're shocked by anything Tyler's said.


I would argue that what they do/are isn't necessarily all that punk rock, but for the sake of argument, let's say you're right. That ignores the fact there are a whole lot of shitty punk rock bands out there, and in my mind those guys are down there with The Plasmatics or The Exploited rather than, say, The Ramones or The Minutemen. Saying something is punk rock is not in and of itself a compliment, and as much as punk rock means to me, let's stop pretending that it's all beautiful and virtuous.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
User avatar
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Somewhere In The Midwest

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby gmilner on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:49 pm

steve wrote:It's being an asshole about being an asshole.

A friend of mine not on the board commented (and I agree), the above "may go down as the best 8-word review of the entire Odd Future oeuvre ever penned."
gmilner
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Antero on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:
Antero wrote:OF is punk/disruptive because of what they do/are, not because they (specifically Tyler, 'cause most of them don't) say "shocking" things. No one who actually listens to rap in any serious fashion has any right to pretend that they're shocked by anything Tyler's said.


I would argue that what they do/are isn't necessarily all that punk rock, but for the sake of argument, let's say you're right. That ignores the fact there are a whole lot of shitty punk rock bands out there, and in my mind those guys are down there with The Plasmatics or The Exploited rather than, say, The Ramones or The Minutemen. Saying something is punk rock is not in and of itself a compliment, and as much as punk rock means to me, let's stop pretending that it's all beautiful and virtuous.

God knows I certainly don't think "punk" is much of a virtue in and of itself. That's why I added the / in there. The reason people - at least, the people who aren't abjectly unfit to talk about rap in public - talk about OF as being punk isn't simply because they're young and loud and jump off shit but because of the role that they, and others, are playing relative to hip-hop as a genre, one that is roughly analogous to the positioning of punk to the broader rock environment of the 70s.

A number of artists including Odd Future, Waka Flocka, and particularly Lil B are doing work that changes the way people think about what it is to rap, the act of rapping, the power of DIY, the sound of a hip-hop song.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11174
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Bernardo on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm not here to defend this group that I haven't even heard, or to suggest that they are "punk", but couldn't someone who felt no connection to the music say the Sex Pistols were being assholes about being assholes too? I mean, they were surely being assholes to start with.
User avatar
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7313
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby scntfc on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Bernardo wrote:I'm not here to defend this group that I haven't even heard, or to suggest that they are "punk", but couldn't someone who felt no connection to the music say the Sex Pistols were being assholes about being assholes too? I mean, they were surely being assholes to start with.


on the money. i can't imagine riding an airport shuttle with the sex pistols instead of odd future would've been any different, n-word included. also, the genesis of odd future - regardless of how co-opted it is now - seems pretty genuine, whereas the sex pistols were a prefab product from the very start.
User avatar
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Yngwie Einstein on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Shocking lyrics strictly for shock value are almost always dumb. Flavor of the month shit will be forgotten in a year or two. Can't imagine going back in 10 years and listening to jackanapes spouting immature bullshit no matter how good the beats are.
User avatar
Yngwie Einstein
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:17 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby MrMattDiehl on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Well, Steve, I totally enjoyed your re-telling of your Odd Future encounter, although I have to say that enjoyment probably wasn't worth the annoying experience you had. I was kind of hoping they had approached you about "producing" (sic) them, which would've made for probably an even funnier story (although probably no less aggravating). Sorry you had to go through that, regardless. Re: Ted Nugent - "Great White Buffalo" is an awesome song, as is "Journey To The Center of Your Mind."
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby tallchris on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8558
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Mark Lansing on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Antero wrote:A number of artists including Odd Future, Waka Flocka, and particularly Lil B are doing work that changes the way people think about what it is to rap, the act of rapping, the power of DIY, the sound of a hip-hop song.


Not trying to be a dick, but can you explain to me how those acts are (a) changing the way people think about what it is to rap, (b) changing the way people think about the act of rapping, or (c) the sound of a hip-hop song? I don't hear anything in their music that demands that sort of reappraisal of the medium. Maybe it's slightly eccentric hip-hop, but it's still very much recognizable as hip-hop to these ears.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
User avatar
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Somewhere In The Midwest

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby kerble on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:12 pm

The thing that fascinates me about Odd Future isn't really the shock-value or the beats, or the lyrics (which I enjoy, but am not compelled to revisit after the initial perusal), is how these kids have taken the rein on the production end of things. I don't mean 'production' in the cheesy audio recording definition we've grown to be wary of.

I'm far more impressed at the 'roll your own' ethos that goes throughout their art. I really like that they make their own beats and videos. they do their own album art, build their own websites, mix their own records, and have an insane adeptness with social media stuff and other DIY components. they're shrewd and manipulative, and it represented a signifier of a paradigm shift for young rappers.

Now a lot of that stuff is what we old punks take for granted, as we've been doing it that way for years, but there's something cool about the complete creative control they implement. Whether or not one finds the music good or bad, or the videos or album art or websites good or bad, is pretty irrelevant to my enjoyment of seeing a transparent process of some weird jerky kids becoming superstars. I find it refreshing to see some young kids doing it the way they want to, and not kowtowing to labels, or the other trappings of fame that popular hip hop is often associated with.

Sure, they seem like little twerps, and the fame may fuck them up for good, but the method of how they got big is far more interesting to me than whether or not they got big in the first place. It feels like an 'updated' version of punk's "I'm going to make this shitty music because it makes me feel good, commercialism be damned". I don't know if it's a better update, but it's a whole lot cooler seeing these kids blaze their own path (making and self-releasing seven albums for free before getting signed, etc.) than...I dunno, having them come out of nowhere because some huge mega-conglomerate label put them on every radio station. You can see the work they put in, and I think that's neat.

It's noncommercial music, for sure. it's ugly and repulsive, but I like gallows humor, so I can at least see where they are coming from. All of the other signifiers seem like red herrings as far as why I find them compelling. I like that they do shit themselves, whether or not I like the shit they themselves do.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18785
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Flaneur on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm

4Chan: The Band.
User avatar
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby steve on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:38 pm

An apparent publicist just tweeted about the bus incident.
HeathcliffB Life or Death PR wrote:
@NYMag I felt bad for everyone in the back of the ride that day. Had no idea it was Albini!! I had a bruise on my head for stagediving!
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
User avatar
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9247
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:25 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby Boombats on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 pm

kerble wrote:I'm far more impressed at the 'roll your own' ethos that goes throughout their art. I really like that they make their own beats and videos. they do their own album art, build their own websites, mix their own records, and have an insane adeptness with social media stuff and other DIY components. they're shrewd and manipulative, and it represented a signifier of a paradigm shift for young rappers.

There are thousands of kids making their own music, videos, etc., with cheap modern technology, kicking their shit all over the net. The only distinction is that most of them don't get big. Being young makes the interwebbing easier for them to maneuver, and like flaneur said
Flaneur wrote:4Chan: The Band.

really works for them. Maybe you can credit OFWGKTA's particular ingenuity for succeeding where others have failed, but the method of media itself is not unique.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20037
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 pm



Kind of annoying that someone had to take Steve's post and go post it elsewhere. I know Steve probably doesn't give a shit, but it feels like there's lurkers on the board with questionable designs.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: skull

Re: Collective: Odd Future

Postby MrMattDiehl on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Don't know how that's questionable, exactly... People care what public figures think, especially interesting ones. Most of the interesting/semi-controversial shit Steve says gets published somewhere; it's been that way since fanzines were mimeographed. The forum is also linkable without password... If this was all meant to be private, you couldn't link to it, right? At least that's how it appears... Anyways, Steve, how do you feel about that? (And no, I didn't put it on The Stranger...)
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], The Big Blozousky and 8 guests