home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Awesome cool Brit sci-fi or a waste of fine Brit paper?

Zarjaz
94%
Crap (Quaequam Blag!)
6%

Total votes : 18

Re: Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Postby night_tools on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 am

GypsumFantastic wrote:Image

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't be crap!

Here's what John Wagner had to say about the film

I went up to London yesterday to see the completed Dredd film. I've had reservations about certain aspects of it, and made them plain to the team at DNA. All but one of them - a little quibble at the beginning - have been addressed. And what a lot they've added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I've not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so). It will open, I believe, sometime in September. No doubt you'll let me know what you think when you've seen it, but this has my recommendation.

The trailer for Dredd certainly looks great - however there's something wrong with that helmet (TWSS). I spent enough of my teenage years drawing Judges to be pretty familiar with the relative proportions of helmet to head - in that picture, it's just too big and looks silly. Apart from that, I'm quite excited to see this film, even if it must be in 3d.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby numberthirty on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 am

Taking a cautious step toward getting psyched(even is the plot seems to be lifted).
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 pm

big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 am

Man, I haven't read 2000AD since the '80s. It was great fun back then, at any rate.

I never liked Simon Bisley's art. I was fond of Belardinelli though.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am

night_tools wrote:The trailer for Dredd certainly looks great - however there's something wrong with that helmet (TWSS). I spent enough of my teenage years drawing Judges to be pretty familiar with the relative proportions of helmet to head - in that picture, it's just too big and looks silly. Apart from that, I'm quite excited to see this film, even if it must be in 3d.

You know, I've been thinking about this- I thought it looked silly at first, but as a 'realistic' interpretation of the uniform (that of a motorbike mounted cop) I don't see how else it could have been. Bike helmets are pretty big, I guess. It would look a lot worse if they'd kept the shoulder pads, etc.

Was also thinking about this recently. The late 80s/ early 90s was one of the most interesting times for experimentation in mainstream comic art- from filtered photorealism to collages and use of other materials, repetition, chiaroscuro, etc etc. The blinding success of Bisley's sub-Frazetta fantasy metal bullshit killed all that dead. I loved it at the time, but I was 9 and an idiot and liked the way he drew bewbs.

Hey Simon Bisley! Fuck you!
Last edited by Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Dudley on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:51 am

I'm excited to see the film, but am having trouble with the "Written by Alex Garland" part. Because in all his films he gets a good idea (or more often, gets given a good idea) but then struggles to actually get the most out of it.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:00 am

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble. Garland can't write a third act for shit. None of his films or books are worth sticking around til the end. I think this'll be ok as he struggles with delivering a 'high concept' to a satisfactory conclusion, yet John Wagner has indirectly done the bulk of the work for him. Garland's only addition is the slo mo drug which, I hope, is just a plot justification for enjoyable stylistic excesses. We'll see, though.
Tommy Alpha

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:
night_tools wrote:The trailer for Dredd certainly looks great - however there's something wrong with that helmet (TWSS). I spent enough of my teenage years drawing Judges to be pretty familiar with the relative proportions of helmet to head - in that picture, it's just too big and looks silly. Apart from that, I'm quite excited to see this film, even if it must be in 3d.

You know, I've been thinking about this- I thought it looked silly at first, but as a 'realistic' interpretation of the uniform (that of a motorbike mounted cop) I don't see how else it could have been. Bike helmets are pretty big, I guess. It would look a lot worse if they'd kept the shoulder pads, etc.

From the little bit I've read(Director, Actor playing Dredd), they are pretty serious about Dredd being a faceless force of justice. I think that may play into the helmet design.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 am

Something tells me the new uniform is going to be pretty iconic if they do a few more movies after this. The photos of Dredd on his own with it on look a little wrong, but man a bunch of Judges together like above is badass.

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby GypsumFantastic on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I saw the film today. I thought the uniform was really good and the helmet didn't look bad at all. Take a look at some 80's/90's era McMahon, McCarthy and even some Bolland Dredd helmets and you'll find they were pretty big.
ImageImage

Karl Urban was excellent as Dredd and Olivia Thirlby was great as Anderson. Once I had got over the fact that this wasn't the Mega City 1 we had grown up with and took the film for what it is, I really sat back with a stupid grin on my face. The story wasn't particularly great but by about half way in it got up to speed. It's small budget was obvious in places but this film has finally nailed the lid shut on the coffin of the Stallone film. I came away thinking that this was a pretty good set up for a sequel that would hopefully have a larger budget and rectify the low tech look that this film had. If they recoup the 50 million a sequel will get the green light.

Maybe this will be just a film for fans of Dredd. Although anyone without any previous experience might enjoy it just as much. I'll be going and seeing it again. It looks as though it's only out in 3D though which is a shame as I'd rather see it again in 2D.

As for comparisons with The Raid: Redemption, it may have beaten Dredd to the post release date wise but the script for this Dredd film was written before The Raid's was. It's been said by the writers that the plot similarities were purely coincidental.

Later on this year the fan made short film Judge Minty will be out. I'm looking forward to that

In girum imus nocte et consumimer igni!
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:17 am

How was the 3D? I've heard that it's some of the best use of it so far. I'm glad to hear it was good- seems to be doing well at the box office so far (fingers crossed- Tharg needs his styrofoam cup money after all). Will be seeing it on Wednesday and I'm pretty bloody excited.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am

That was absolutely perfect.

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Dudley on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 am

I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Alex Garland didn't bollocks it up. If anything, I'm impressed by the way he/the producers/the director didn't give him the chance to. - there is practically no story other than "kill all the baddies", no "learning" or character development or anything, just lean and simple stuff. I don't mean to damn it with faint praise by saying that = so many films these days have scripts that feel like they've had to pass a Robert McKee style assessment, with an extra helping of "personal growth" instruction.

Tommy Alpha wrote:How was the 3D? I've heard that it's some of the best use of it so far. I'm glad to hear it was good- seems to be doing well at the box office so far (fingers crossed- Tharg needs his styrofoam cup money after all). Will be seeing it on Wednesday and I'm pretty bloody excited.

I really enjoyed the 3D, and I usually fucking hate it. Maybe because they don't try and make it realistic, they use it in a more imaginative, kind of a comic book way, particularly with the effects of "slo-mo".

I didn't think it looked particularly low-budget. It's less futuristic than the strip - VW van, the bad guys using current assault rifles etc - but I like that in me dystopian futures.

Top. See at the cinema - fucking loud, the biggest screen you can find, Devo specs, the whole bit.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:28 am

Dudley wrote:I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Alex Garland didn't bollocks it up. If anything, I'm impressed by the way he/the producers/the director didn't give him the chance to. - there is practically no story other than "kill all the baddies", no "learning" or character development or anything, just lean and simple stuff. I don't mean to damn it with faint praise by saying that = so many films these days have scripts that feel like they've had to pass a Robert McKee style assessment, with an extra helping of "personal growth" instruction.

Tommy Alpha wrote:How was the 3D? I've heard that it's some of the best use of it so far. I'm glad to hear it was good- seems to be doing well at the box office so far (fingers crossed- Tharg needs his styrofoam cup money after all). Will be seeing it on Wednesday and I'm pretty bloody excited.

I really enjoyed the 3D, and I usually fucking hate it. Maybe because they don't try and make it realistic, they use it in a more imaginative, kind of a comic book way, particularly with the effects of "slo-mo".

I didn't think it looked particularly low-budget. It's less futuristic than the strip - VW van, the bad guys using current assault rifles etc - but I like that in me dystopian futures.

Top. See at the cinema - fucking loud, the biggest screen you can find, Devo specs, the whole bit.

Nice. Am going tonight. Am wearing an ABC warriors tshirt and am facespaffingly excited.

Also heard (from the 2000AD tweetdroid) that John Wagner was heavily involved with the script- actual collaboration.

Fuck. Really fucking excited now. Been waiting for this for near on 20 years.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:That was absolutely perfect.

Yup. More tomorrow.
Tommy Alpha

Postby stewie on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Fuckin' Brits getting to see the movie weeks before it comes out here. Imma write a sternly-worded letter.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:27 pm

I thought the trailer looked awful... but I guess I gotta see it now.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Dudley on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:18 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:
Bill Swansea wrote:That was absolutely perfect.

Yup. More tomorrow.

You liked it? Phew. Was actually getting a bit worried that you would come back cursing.

stewie wrote:Fuckin' Brits getting to see the movie weeks before it comes out here. Imma write a sternly-worded letter.

I don't know if that's a good idea. I somehow doubt it will make Dredd respect you any more.
Dudley

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

YES!
Tommy Alpha

Postby Bill Swansea on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Spoiler:

The moment for me when I knew they got it 100% right was after Ma Ma tries to tear apart Dredd and Anderson with that minigun like thing, and then sends in a crew to find their bodies, including her right hand man. Dredd emerges from smoke, grabbing this guy and throws him off a balcony and turns around and walks back into the smoke without saying a word.

I mean, that is what Dredd would do.

Although, he did say "shit".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap