home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Awesome cool Brit sci-fi or a waste of fine Brit paper?

Zarjaz
94%
Crap (Quaequam Blag!)
6%

Total votes : 18

Re: Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Postby numberthirty on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:Spoiler:

The moment for me when I knew they got it 100% right was after Ma Ma tries to tear apart Dredd and Anderson with that minigun like thing, and then sends in a crew to find their bodies, including her right hand man. Dredd emerges from smoke, grabbing this guy and throws him off a balcony and turns around and walks back into the smoke without saying a word.

I mean, that is what Dredd would do.

Although, he did say "shit".

It had quite a few perfect moments. The homeless guy alone was worth the price of the ticket. Someone needs to buy Karl Urban a chicken dinner.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

Easily the best comic book adaptation I’ve seen (Maybe one of John Wagner’s others- A History of Violence would be second or so). I’ve never seen an adaptation that portrayed, not so much a character (as it’s what you don’t do with Dredd that counts) but the essence of the source material so well. It cherry-picked what would work and what wouldn’t superbly and stayed faithful to everything I love about the character, and more importantly his world, whilst accepting that it was a film and not a moving comic book. It was almost the anti-Watchmen in that regard- the nuances (yes! Dredd has nuances!) were more important than adapting every panel faithfully.

The story was near perfect- as Bill said either here or on FB, they didn’t try to shoehorn a mega-epic or supervillain on screen. To introduce so many concepts- the Judges, Mega Cities, the cursed earth, mutation and then steamroll ahead with throwing Judge Death at people, or Judge Cal and Judge Fish even- would have been an unmitigated disaster. As Bill/Jake also said- it’s like a 3 or 4 part story you’d read in 2000AD. Tense, violent and at the end you realise- just another day. The Slo-mo drug also is a nice intro to some of the flat-out bat shit mental aspects of the city (Grot Pot anyone?), which they can build on if they get a chance.

A couple of quibbles (of course), but to be honest one of them was him not shooting kids dead, so don’t listen to me. The 3D was actually well used and enjoyable, as was the CGI. Anderson (for it is she) completely nailed it. Dredd aside, I wish more popcorn action films were this good.
Superb. Everybody just go see it already, so they’ll make another one and I can finally see Chopper on screen.

SPOLER ALERT:
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby scale on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:12 am

I bought issue one from my local newsagent in 1977.
I loved it for years but moved on sometime in the 90s. I do grab the odd issue still.

Dredd was great but there were many great things along the way. I remember Ace Trucking Co very fondly. Early Nemesis was superb. Slaine as well.

I recall some of my favourite Dredd stories as The Visible Man and Get Ugly with Otto Sump, both illustrated by Ron Smith, a more under rated Dredd artist. These popped during a great Dredd run that featured a superb Dredd yarn about a bunch of mutant spiders that invade Mega City One. Anyone recall these? Brilliant writing.

Dredd epics - my faves are The Cursed Earth (and yes, I have one of the Macdonald's issues. I ended up with two copies somehow) and the Apocalypse War.

Iloved all the Alan Moore future shocks and time twisters. The one-shot Chronocops has to be one of my favourite peices of Sci fi bar none, and a brilliant use of the comics format.

So un, not crap i I guess.
scale
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Tommy Alpha on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:06 am

Just re-read Shamballa.

I forgot how amazing this is. Hit my in the gut- Mikhael and the fallout from Judge Corey's suicide. Maybe the best Anderson story? The arc with The Jesus Syndrome and Childhood's End is stunning. After The Dead Man, this is where they started pushing Dredd away from adventure sf for teenage boys and into something else.

Also: Arthur Ranson.

Tommy Alpha

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:36 pm

scale wrote:Dredd was great but there were many great things along the way. I remember Ace Trucking Co very fondly. Early Nemesis was superb. Slaine as well.

I recall some of my favourite Dredd stories as The Visible Man and Get Ugly with Otto Sump, both illustrated by Ron Smith, a more under rated Dredd artist. These popped during a great Dredd run that featured a superb Dredd yarn about a bunch of mutant spiders that invade Mega City One. Anyone recall these? Brilliant writing.

Dredd epics - my faves are The Cursed Earth (and yes, I have one of the Macdonald's issues. I ended up with two copies somehow) and the Apocalypse War.

I loved all the Alan Moore future shocks and time twisters.

This.

I remember Otto Sump, now that you mention it. Ron Smith was the artist I most associate with Dredd, because he was doing a lot of the Dredd stories at the time I was reading them (early 80s). I guess Esquezerra was keeping himself busy with Strontium Dog at the time?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby stewie on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:42 am

Ron Smith! Classic Dredd artist.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bill Swansea on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:01 am

I'm not sure if this was Ron Smith or not, but I thought Judge Fish needed at least a mention. Seriously, in what other comic could you get away with doing something like Judge Fish? I think it's partly proof as to why 2000 AD never really got going in America.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 am

Bill Swansea wrote:Image

I'm not sure if this was Ron Smith or not, but I thought Judge Fish needed at least a mention. Seriously, in what other comic could you get away with doing something like Judge Fish? I think it's partly proof as to why 2000 AD never really got going in America.

Bolland (sig is bottom left).

No-one drew futsies like Ron Smith. Not just a great Dredd artist, but one of the best Mega-City One artists.

I seem to remember Ezquerra didn't actually draw Dredd for the first few years of publication. I think he had a massive falling out with Tharg/Pat Mills and quit the comic in favour of Battle/ Starlord (where Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters actually debuted). I might be wrong, but I think this was the case.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 am

Looking for details on Ezquerra, found this.
Love this picture. Bad. Ass.

Tommy Alpha

Postby Bill Swansea on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:I seem to remember Ezquerra didn't actually draw Dredd for the first few years of publication. I think he had a massive falling out with Tharg/Pat Mills and quit the comic in favour of Battle/ Starlord (where Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters actually debuted). I might be wrong, but I think this was the case.

He drew the first ever Dredd comic, but it didn't get printed. I recall seeing an image from it where Dredd looked fairly different and it was quite violent.

I dunno how I didn't figure that was a Bolland.

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:04 am

Bill Swansea wrote:
Tommy Alpha wrote:I seem to remember Ezquerra didn't actually draw Dredd for the first few years of publication. I think he had a massive falling out with Tharg/Pat Mills and quit the comic in favour of Battle/ Starlord (where Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters actually debuted). I might be wrong, but I think this was the case.

He drew the first ever Dredd comic, but it didn't get printed. I recall seeing an image from it where Dredd looked fairly different and it was quite violent.

I dunno how I didn't figure that was a Bolland.

Fact I recently found out: Dredd (as designed by Ezquerra) was originally black. Because the comics were black and white and Ezquerra left early on in a huff, no one else knew this and he ended up being white.
Tommy Alpha

Postby numberthirty on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 am

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy Alpha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am

Snekking hell.

I know I’m probably about the only person on this board who currently reads the Galaxy’s Greatest, but the last prog (1607) was mind-blowing. Over the past month or so, they’ve quietly built up to such a neat, impressive dramatic trick- the three ‘Dreddworld’ stories (Dredd, The Simping Detective and Low Life) have been running stories which were, as usual, seemingly unconnected (other than referencing the same recent events). They each had their own mysteries and grey areas. But last issue the three plots converged without any warning- the last panel of Dredd was actually the first panel of The Simping Detective- Low life contained the immediate other side of events in the other two strips, a dead body in one strip had been a murder in one of the others, etc, etc. This may seem something relatively simple, but I can’t think of an anthology comic doing anything like this before. Also, the logistics or coordinating three writers to weave these plot point so well without showing their hand… A great piece of editing on the part of Tharg/ Matt Smith.

Just very, very impressive. Maybe more so than the ‘Dead Man’ revelation.

I’m going to have to re-read the last few progs.
Last edited by Tommy Alpha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 am

That's brilliant.

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 am

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 pm

That sucks, but it's understanding when the American reviewers - and presumably audiences - insisted on seeing it as a sequel or remake of a stupid Stallone movie, and were liable to point out that, hey, he seems a bit fascist, that can't be right?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 pm

I never actually bothered reading any American reviews of it. Were they that bad?

EDIT:

This picture probably says it all.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 6028_n.jpg

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Raa on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:He drew the first ever Dredd comic, but it didn't get printed. I recall seeing an image from it where Dredd looked fairly different and it was quite violent.

The first Dredd was reprinted in volume one of the phone book reissues by Rebellion. The biggest change is that he carries out death sentences/murders on the street.
Raa
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby stewie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Raa wrote:
Bill Swansea wrote:He drew the first ever Dredd comic, but it didn't get printed. I recall seeing an image from it where Dredd looked fairly different and it was quite violent.

The first Dredd was reprinted in volume one of the phone book reissues by Rebellion. The biggest change is that he carries out death sentences/murders on the street.

Wait, what? I remember Dredd carrying out death sentences on the street for freakin' years. Am I misinformembered?
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Raa on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

stewie wrote:
Raa wrote:

Wait, what? I remember Dredd carrying out death sentences on the street for freakin' years. Am I misinformembered?

I dunno, I don't think so but I've only read the first volume and waiting on more in the mail.

Here's the execution page from Dredd 1 anyway

Raa
duke ellington
duke ellington

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap