Jack White

CRAP
38%
NOT CRAP
62%

Total votes : 117

Dude: Jack White

Postby 154 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:03 pm

On the one hand, he uses his fame and notoriety to do interesting stuff like start a vinyl-only label, pull obscure country artists out of retirement to make records, record with esoteric analog equipment like 2" 8 tracks, build crazy stuff like a mobile recording truck and museum/studio/label headquarters, etc.

On the other, his collaborations are often vain with his role over-emphasized, he looks like creepy Johnny Depp/Willy Wonka, his band mostly stinks, and this is obviously the worst thing ever, though I think that's intentional. In fact, I'm willing to bet 99% of what he's involved in is dogshit.

That said, NOT CRAP because he's ambitious, prolific, and probably bat-shit-crazy. In his situation, I'd probably be wasting away on a beach..
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Dude: Jack White

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:17 pm

I like a lot, if not most of his music, he's a hell of a guitarist and is doing cool wacky things with the money he's made doing it.
I don't understand hating Jack White, he's just a dude who plays guitar and does his thing who minds his own business for the most part. You kind of have to go out of your way to become annoyed by dude, but that's just some people's thing I guess.
Total N/C. The early, like first three, White Stripes records are really great. There's a bunch of quality tracks on each after, all the way till the last one. I like the first Dead Weather album, I like that first Raconteurs record. I've heard stuff here and there, collaborations and whatnot, that's been decent. That's a whole bunch of stuff I like, more than most bands I like.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm

The above post is spot on, but I would like to add the second Raconteurs album is really good as well.

Jack White is NC, he's a drummer turned guitarist and singer who did good (for did bad see Dave Grohl).
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby windofpain on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:30 pm

record collector scum who has the dough to turn his bullshit music into "vanity" projects, oh great this clear 12'' opens up to reveal an even shittier 7'' inside of it. i'm so stoked i found this little easter egg containing some more luke-warm white boy rock and roll. Did the white stripes lead the charge for early-mid 2000's "garage" rock revival? I guess we have to thank him for that garbage too.

The only record I'll ever own with his name on it is the first Clone Defects 7'' that he recorded, apparently since then he has distanced himself from people like Timmy Vulgar, what a dick.
windofpain
eagle
eagle

Postby Andrew. on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 pm

"Looks like Zorro on donuts."
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby MWilke on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

He's fine by my criteria. I don't really ever seek out his music but when I hear his stuff you can tell that he's making the music he wants to be making and he's having a great time doing it. He believes that rock should have a DIY feel and that a certain level of image and mystique should be involved. But he isn't ridiculous and distracting with it. He has carried that out and continues to work hard for those beliefs. I have a hard time not respecting him.

FWIW, he apparently can mess up a face.

MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Red Square on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 pm

not crap overall, but major waffles for this ICP thing he's doing...

magnets i understand, but this! this i do not understand!
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I think the ICP track is really funny; one of the only tolerable things either have done. I doubt I'm alone on that one.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby numberthirty on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:48 pm

I can remember seeing Two Star Tabernacle play Lounge Ax in maybe '98 or '99. If you threw more Maybelle Carter into the way Jack played in The White Stripes, you'd have a pretty good idea how he sounded. I liked that quite a bit. Jack and Dan Miller singing together was also pretty wild.

When he came out of the back he was dressed like Run DMC in Tougher Than Leather and walking with an eight ball cane. Dude is not crap for the laughs I got out of that alone.

He also clearly digs Flat Duo Jets. Bonus points.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby WMFS on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:54 pm

He's a guy who does his thing, takes up interesting projects and says stupid shit from time to time. He's gimmicky, sure. But certainly not the worst. I'll listen to his music when it comes on.
Baltimore Orioles fan and should be respected as such.
numberthirty
W -
Quit trying to take a vampire to watch the damn sun come up.
WMFS
howard lederer
howard lederer

Postby RBoyer on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

numberthirty wrote:Flat Duo Jets.

YES. Never crap.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 pm

RBoyer wrote:

YES. Never crap.

No matter how much the White Stripes ripped off a bunch of ideas from this band, fair dues to Jack White for even acknowledging them in the It Might Get Loud doc.
Last edited by Bill Swansea on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:25 pm

i think he's alright.
his guitar playing gives him a right to be somewhat self absorbed i think. that said it often makes his music suck. It doesn't always suck though.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
dr. j
dr. j

Postby John W. on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Total Danzig.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby cwiko on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Derivitive.

I'm glad he's not as overexposed as he used to be now that White Stripes are done and he's not playing on records every 5 minutes, so that makes his radio-friendly rock much easier to listen to without burnout when it does pop up.

MWilke wrote:...that rock should have...a certain level of image and mystique should be involved. But he isn't ridiculous and distracting with it.

Nope, nothing ridiculous or distracting here. :D

MWilke wrote:FWIW, he apparently can mess up a face.
Not much; though it is impressive to see macho men beat someone up. I'd personally love to see the cage match of Jack White vs. Josh Homme.

cwiko
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:
RBoyer wrote:

YES. Never crap.

No matter how much the White Stripes ripped off a bunch of ideas from this band, fair dues to Jack White for even acknowledging them in the It Might Get Loud doc.

Absolutely. And he's done a lot to expose people to Dex, including Third Man sessions.

I like the idea of the Third Man stuff. Gustav, from Dungen, usually likes to have his hands on what his band is doing, but he let Jack, and Jack's solid staff of notable engineers, take the helm. That White was interested in recording these guys - he contacted them when he heard they were going to tour the US - is pretty great.

White Stripes were pretty good. Best thing on the radio at the time, by far. I like it when people who shouldn't be popular, get popular. I mean, Beck is a weird, creative guy, which is why I can't understand how he won over a decent chunk of the record buying public. Same with White Stripes.

I really don't care for Dead Weather, because it seems like a Cool Kids Club to me, but I thought that Raconteurs were really good. Brenden Benson's contributions offset Jack's nicely, and made for a clever Garage/Power Pop hybrid that really worked. Their appearance on Austin City Limits was really enjoyable.

I'm not sure why he's as popular as he is, but he obviously has some good ideas and stays busy and creative. Frankly, I know people who are just as clever who are still working in relative obscurity, but such is the world of music. You never know who will make it big or why. As long as they have something genuine to offer I'm cool with it though.

I really don't get the ICP thing though. Even if it's a joke.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby Mark Lansing on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Jack White seriously fucked over a good friend of mine on some business stuff, and seems to have made more than a few enemies in the Detroit area, showing his ass on people who helped him back when he was nobody. (Someone in a position to know tells me that when Jack moved to Nashville, he sent detailed letters to a bunch of people in Detroit about how he felt they let him down. One went to a guy who ran a record store for having the temerity to still sell Von Bondies records after Jack beat the crap out of Jason Stollsteimer.) He's a pretty good guitarist and has written some good songs, but when I hear people talk about him as an important artist, I have to laugh -- he's lifted at least half of what he's done from other people, most of whom get no acknowledgment from him. Fuck him, I won't give the man another dime of my money. Crap.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby numberthirty on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Mark Lansing wrote: (Someone in a position to know tells me that when Jack moved to Nashville, he sent detailed letters to a bunch of people in Detroit about how he felt they let him down. One went to a guy who ran a record store for having the temerity to still sell Von Bondies records after Jack beat the crap out of Jason Stollsteimer.)

He called in and threw a fit on the air when an Illinois radio station played a copy of one of the White Stripes records a week before it was set to be released. While they were in the process of playing the record. They come back from a break and, dude is pitching a hissy.

Homie's a little too sensitive.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby iembalm on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 pm

cwiko wrote:Impressive to see macho men beat someone up. I'd personally love to see the cage match of Jack White vs. Josh Homme.

I'm thinking that ends up with whatever Homme has tattooed on his knuckles in mirror-image all over Jack White's face.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby readandburn on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Gimmicky Dick.
readandburn
future member of the green party
future member of the green party

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap