Jack White

CRAP
38%
NOT CRAP
62%

Total votes : 117

Re: Dude: Jack White

Postby zircona1 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 pm

He's made enough good songs with the Stripes and the Ranconteurs for me to vote NC.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
aaron burr
aaron burr

Postby bdm on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:50 pm

I've never particularly cared for any of his musical ventures but I respect his efforts. NC I guess.
bdm
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby 154 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 am

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... n-records/

Pretty neat. Picture of FM goosman on the lathe.

Reaffirming Not Crap for a guy doing cool things with his fame and resources.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm

I didn't really have a vote, but the news about Third Man reissuing the Laughing Hyenas catalog may change that.
Bernardo

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:20 am

Along with Nirvana and Radiohead, the White Stripes were the gateway band for me in high school, when I was first getting into music for real. The Stripes records still hold up, and I still think that Jack is a standout songwriter of his generation. Been underwhelmed with him since then, both as a "dude" and as a songwriter, but he's still capable of good work now and then. I can understand why he would rub a lot of people the wrong way. And I get how many would be indifferent and put off by his music, especially if they were older and already well-versed in underground music and rock history when the White Stripes came along. But I still think the White Stripes were a pretty special band, if only for the many strong melodies that accompanied Meg's primal stomp. Not so much his other work, which I could care less about.
SkronkFronkerdale
buelah witch
buelah witch

Postby Seby on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 pm

I must say, I am rather fond of Mr White, and of the things that he does.
Seby
second class
second class

Postby hellholiday on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:17 pm

If Sting wanted to be bluesy instead of jazzy. Crap.
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Fat Dude: Jack White

Postby prd on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:35 pm

I never liked the White Stripes. I always thought they lacked any substance and were all about image. Jack White's solo work is even worse. But it was only when I learned that Mr. White likes to push and punch the others (preferably smaller and weaker dudes) that I fully appreciated the "Zorro on doughnuts" remark by one of the Gallaghers.

When you think about it, that's the greatest thing about the Gallaghers: dissing the other terrible music acts. And when you think some more, Jack White pushing either Mr. Noel or Mr. Liam would be the greatest POP satisfaction since Nirvana broke. And a win-win situation on top of it. The problem is, thugs rarely pick a fight with another thug. That's why it will never happen.
prd

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:55 pm

I guess the Gallaghers have fifty years' practice at insulting each other. "He looks like Zorro on doughnuts" is classic.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby numberthirty on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Noel is my spirit animal...

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:03 am

That was entertaining, but where is the "undercover" part in answering question about you and your band under your own name?
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby connor on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 am

I saw him live a couple of years ago on the Lazaretto tour at Madison Square Garden. I had modest expectations, was never that into the White Stripes beyond "this is cool, glad this kinda thing is popular." But he fucking tore it up. Loud as hell, crazy ass riffs.

I actually decided to go back through his catalogue after that and have moved the White Stripes up a couple of notches. But his show is the way to go, the records don't do it justice.
deep.BTUz wrote:I'm into girls, physical fitness and real estate.

Ya'know actual accomplishments.
connor

Postby wellbutrin on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am

All of the White Stripes records are fantastic from start to finish except Icky Thump. Unbelievable, really. Less than a handful of songs that could be considered filler over 5+ records. Just enough difference between each record to not beat the horse too badly.

Icky Thump NC but gets :WF: 2 because there are 2 skippable songs.

First solo record was pretty alright, overall not crap.
Lazaretto was crap.
New album is big, massive crap after 2 listens. If counting as double crap was allowed it would qualify.

First Raconteurs record slays, the second one is meh. He shares frontman duties in this band so doesn't count for full points.
The Dead Weather are terrible and have 2 (3?) terrible records. He only drums for them though so only counts a little.

So, musical output is NC by a lot.

I saw the White Stripes twice, once from the balcony at Aragon on the Elephant tour and I don't remember it but apparently it was good. The second time was front row at the Auditorium Theater on the GBMS tour and dude came out with a fire blazing like I'm not sure I've ever seen and he kept it up for 2 hours. I hear the solo shows have been good, but the fiddle playing and orchestration/bastardization of the White Stripes material prevented me from getting off my ass and going. The other bands he is a lesser part of he always seems energetic and into it, hard to argue that is crap. So as a live performer he is mega NC.

As a human being, I have no idea as I don't know him or know anybody who knows him personally. I know a few guys who are prone to getting scrappy with other dudes in certain circumstances and these people are mostly not crap so hard to call crap on JW for the fighting stuff he's known for. He seems unafraid to do his own thing, reissues cool records with his label, the pretentious bowler hat schtick seems to be in good fun and he seems to be enjoying himself most of the time so that's not crap. Since I don't know what kind of tipper he is lets say that as a human it's a wash.

So not crap by a mile. It's science.
Last edited by wellbutrin on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wellbutrin
wolf
wolf

Postby blackmarket on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:38 am

I have no patience for the anemic drumming on White Stripes albums. In a two-piece, all players really have be on-point. She is just not very good. Jack has always been a fantastic guitarist, though. Props. Not Crap.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm

The White Stripes were a gateway band for me as a kid, and I'll always have a soft spot for them. I still think they were really really special and even great at points. Circa 2005, when Get Behind Me Satan came out, Jack seemed impossibly gifted and cool. That record was so raw, had a demo feel but in all the best ways, he was at the peak of his powers as a songwriter whilst defying all the expectations people had for the band. The White Stripes as a band seemed to really reinforce the notion that good songs are all that is needed to make an impact - production, gear, expectations of musicianship etc are just frills without them, and their honest minimalist spirit made a lot of their peers look pretty silly. I for one always loved Meg's drumming! Even on the first record, with the most simplistic drumming, it added so much - the kick, snare, and cymbals would be especially loud in the mix, having only a guitar to compete with, and the minimalist pounding made for a glorious primal stomp that I find really exciting. The drumming on Psychocandy or White LIght/White Heat does the same thing for me. The first album I got was White Blood Cells, less blues, no solos, just straight up great songs recorded live in the studio by two people. That was really inspiring to me when I heard it, in the same way that punk was when I started listening to it. They made it seem easy and fun, and that record in particular has a great sound to it. Jack had a great ear for the aesthetics of making a raw recording, kinda like Neil Young. When they rocked they could be blistering, rocked as hard as anything at times.

Don't really know what happened though, seems like the fame got to his head to me. Icky Thump(last one I bought by him and last Stripes record) was a slight dip from the previous records, but was still quite solid with some great songs. After that he's been super lame. Some good songs on the first solo record, one or two on Lazaretto. I've long lost interest, but listened to a few off the new one and they suck really bad. Not cause they're experimental or "weird", I always wanted more of that, they're just not any good. When I see him in interviews now he seems like a totally different person than the White Stripes guy. Seems like he's bought hook line and sinker into the cult of Jack White to me, just in the way he carries himself more than anything. I find it gross. He seemed like a pretty modest and level-headed dude when the band started, was always talking up the bands of his peers and bands like the Gun Club, found many bands from him. Seems like an arrogant dork to me now. I've even doubted whether the White Stripes were as good as I once thought they were, being young and all when they were around. But the records and songs still hold up quite well, only now they have a bit of a bad aftertaste knowing how lame Jack became. Kinda like listening to the Pixies. Seems like he needed Meg more than she needed him. Just my thoughts anyway.
SkronkFronkerdale
buelah witch
buelah witch

Postby numberthirty on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:19 pm

While I am always going to love this...

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 pm

It finally hit me how much of his bit he is straight up stealing from here...

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 pm

It ain't no picnic trying to ignore that realization.
numberthirty

Postby Antero on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:40 pm

blackmarket wrote:I have no patience for the anemic drumming on White Stripes albums. In a two-piece, all players really have be on-point. She is just not very good. Jack has always been a fantastic guitarist, though. Props. Not Crap.

I actually love her drumming - it's kind of more interesting for the White Stripes stuff since her drumming follows his guitar rather than the other way around.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby enframed on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:11 am

Antero wrote:
blackmarket wrote:I have no patience for the anemic drumming on White Stripes albums. In a two-piece, all players really have be on-point. She is just not very good. Jack has always been a fantastic guitarist, though. Props. Not Crap.

I actually love her drumming - it's kind of more interesting for the White Stripes stuff since her drumming follows his guitar rather than the other way around.

Yeah, I've never understood the criticism of Meg White's drumming. Granted, I'm not a musician, but still...she keeps a beat/rhythm just fine, no? Should she be doing something else?
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap