home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Rolex Ownership

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Owning a Rolex:

$6k for a watch? Idiocy.
27%
If I had the money and I saw one I liked, sure.
13%
If I inherited one I'd keep it.
19%
If I inherited one, I'd sell it and spend the money on microphones/an EGC/crack.
40%

Total votes : 142

Rolex Ownership

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm

tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Re: Rolex Ownership

Postby dvockins on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:02 pm

My mother got my father a Rolex for their 10th anniversary.

I remember the occasion quite vividly because my father got my mother nothing for their 10th anniversary.
dvockins
richard scarry
richard scarry

Postby kerble on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 pm

I have an uncle in India that's well-to-do. We were sitting across from each other chatting in an airport lounge in Hyderabad, and I spotted a for real Rolex on his wrist. I asked if I could take a look. He slipped it off, and I admired the insane precision of the second-hand sweep, like water cascading over stones. My brother, who was sitting much further down the room asked to see it, so I handed it over to him. We made some small talk about the quality of the device, and how it's a little bananas how expensive it is. My brother started to stand to hand my uncle the watch back, and he stopped him by saying:

"It's okay, betaa. You can throw it. It's a Rolex."

And so, my brother tossed the Rolex across the room, and we both thought our uncle was even cooler than before.

That said, not for me. Don't see the point. but yeah, throw those things, dude.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby SergioGeorgini on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

My dad was given a presidential Rolex by his company as a pat on the back. The thing skyrocketed in value over the decade since he had it due to the price of gold and had to count the links when having it serviced as they are worth hundreds each.

Still gotta rate Crap though with a few waffles for their craftsmanship I guess. It didn't mean much to him either later in life -- as he pawned it off knowing he lost quite a bit of value and didn't even really need the cash. Proud of him!
Tonight we sleep in seperate ditches.

Marsupialized wrote:If I ever have a child, I want it to be conceived while listening to Caspar Brotzmann. I envision it would grow up to be a famous cannibal murderer.
SergioGeorgini
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby Barbo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Wealthy folks will find a way to overpay for anything. Absolute crap. Also, I can't imagine ever knowing anyone that would think I would be pleased with this idiocy as a gift. So, the resale option is off the table. I have no need for horseshit signs of status or wealth in my life.

Jon
Barbo
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Trey on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm

dvockins wrote:My mother got my father a Rolex for their 10th anniversary.

I remember the occasion quite vividly because my father got my mother nothing for their 10th anniversary.

This is an excellent post.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby deep.BTUz on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I had a '65 Submariner for awhile. I bought it when I was 23. I would say that it paid for itself, business wise. My beef was that it was too iconic. It was too obvious of a symbol. So I moved on to nicer, rarer watches.

Never felt the need to justify the cost. That whole argument is silly to me. Expense is really a relative concept. Plus, even if you were to approach the issue that way, I would say that buying a Rolex serves the greater good better than hoarding.
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby dabrasha on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Stupid and silly, but if you know a guy who owns one, it's fun to hide it and watch bemused panic blossom.
dabrasha
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:20 pm

NC if you like fine machines.

If you have the money, why not? They are beautiful machines, made by craftsmen.

one downside: they need to be serviced periodically (every 5 years or so) or they get gunked up.

I got no problem with BMWs or Mercedes either. I can't afford 'em, but god bless if you can.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:22 pm

But does it shit trains?
Mick Shrimpton
first class
first class

Postby deep.BTUz on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:29 pm

I will add, that if you're into the craftsmanship of watches, Rolex isn't the way to go. Their movement is just so so.
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz

Postby alex maiolo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:30 pm

I did inherit one and I did sell it.

I got a 1964 Airking. This is the most "affordable" one. The new Airkings are really expensive and they are more Rolexy than the old one like I had. Mine was still really well built though. Super nice. The ones from that era are probably worth $1000 - less than a used newer Airking. I think the old ones look better and less ridiculous. They look good with non metal bands too.
I sold it for $1000 with two different bracelets, and used the money for studio gear.

You know what's precise? A cell phone. You shouldn't throw it across the room and Faiz's relatives, but it keeps perfect time. Since I don't wear jewelry, and in this day and age that's basically what a watch is, I don't need one. I would probably go back to my 20 dollar military Timex, or something fun and cheap if I ever did.

I love well made things. I appreciate craftsmanship. It's the culture I can't stand - what it symbolizes.
For the better part of my life I used to tinker on old Land Rovers. Old safari/Brit farm trucks that you can fix with four tools. Even early Range Rovers are utility trucks that you can hose out. Classy for a reason. But when every entitled dickhead in a Rover started flagging me down to have a "we get it discussion" when I was thinking "you and I aren't on the same page at all," I decided what I like about my 1965 Land Rover, and what it symbolizes, particularly here in the US, are two different things.

There's a fine line between caring what people think of you and tacitly participating in a culture you don't like, and I felt I was stuck in the latter category.

I sold the Rolex for the same reason, and with the gear I bought with the money I help people with their art. That's more my speed.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby 154 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:34 pm

They're the epitome of gaudy. CRAP.

Postby enframed on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Yeah, Gaudy well made stuff I don't want. I don't want a Bentley either. I will be inheriting one and I will sell it.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby alex maiolo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:58 pm

enframed wrote:Yeah, Gaudy well made stuff I don't want. I don't want a Bentley either. I will be inheriting one and I will sell it.

"What are the advantages of this motorcar over, say, a private train, which I can also afford?"

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 pm

I find little tiny well made machines endlessly fascinating. Its the total opposite of our current disposable culture. That being said, I've always found Rolexs to be gaudy and overly chunky (as others mentioned) and the connotations with the type of person who would own one are always negative in my mind. Alex said it better than I can. Its the type of person who wants something to flash around and feels like they have something to prove when in reality no one else really gives a fuck. Anyway, if I had a few thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket which I wanted to strap to my wrist instead, I'd much rather it be an IWC
Last edited by cerebralheadtrip on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Zorg on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Your standard-issue Nouveau Riche status-symbol. Boring.
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby andyman on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:05 pm

kerble wrote:I have an uncle in India that's well-to-do. We were sitting across from each other chatting in an airport lounge in Hyderabad, and I spotted a for real Rolex on his wrist. I asked if I could take a look. He slipped it off, and I admired the insane precision of the second-hand sweep, like water cascading over stones. My brother, who was sitting much further down the room asked to see it, so I handed it over to him. We made some small talk about the quality of the device, and how it's a little bananas how expensive it is. My brother started to stand to hand my uncle the watch back, and he stopped him by saying:

"It's okay, betaa. You can throw it. It's a Rolex."

And so, my brother tossed the Rolex across the room, and we both thought our uncle was even cooler than before.

What's cool about this?
andyman

Postby kerble on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Throwing expensive shit. why?
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby WMFS on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:24 pm

When I was living in Seoul we had a friend that fucking cherished his Rolex. Guy went out of his way to remind us not to tell anyone he had a Rolex, would be "cleaning it" when we would phone him that we were coming over, tons of stupid shit that annoyed the piss out of our group. So, as a joke I bought a knock off Bvlgari that looked similar to his watch with the intent of destroying it in front of the guy to make him cry. My friend Taylor and I devised a plan that we'd pull a switcharoo on his watch, play catch with it and then drop it off the balcony of his building or something. So, everything goes according to plan, we snag the Rolex, dude cries, we toss it around, dude screams, I toss "it" off the balcony and dude freaks the fuck out. I try to tell him it was just a fake we bought at some booth and that Taylor had the real Rolex. At that point Taylors face goes white. He pulls out a Bvlgari watch from his coat pocket and has a look on his face that was beyond haunting. Rolex boy starts to meltdown. Hell, I start to meltdown too. After what seemed like forever Taylor starts laughing and pulls out the Rolex and sets it on the table. Old chap played us both like a fucking fiddle.
Baltimore Orioles fan and should be respected as such.
numberthirty
W -
Quit trying to take a vampire to watch the damn sun come up.
WMFS
howard lederer
howard lederer

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap