Minutemen?

Crap.
6%
Not crap.
94%

Total votes : 235

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:33 am

obviously not crap.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby Ace on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:55 am

When I first heard them, after hearing their reputation, i was bitterly, bitterly disappointed. After over 8 years of wondering what the fuss was about i woke up one morning and listened to 'Joe McCarthy's Ghost' over 100 times in one day. They are great on a level that i haven't seen defined by anyone.

And, as for the DVD, George Hurley is the COOLEST.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby CJMcG on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:03 am

I think their albums sound like ass.
They have always been a band I liked more in the respect department than I did in the I love their records department.
I've always felt their records did not portray them well.
That documentary is beyond amazing.
Their live sound is phenomenal.
I just wish they could have captured that on record.
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby mr.arrison on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:38 am

Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:I think their albums sound like ass.

You are wrong. So wrong.

I don't get why some people on this forum criticize recordings that cost less to record than the amount of money some people spend on guitar effects pedals every month. And these albums sound great- for what they are, on the equipment they used, in the era they were recorded. Sure, the recordings aren't Fleetwood Mac, early ZZ Top or Steely Dan, but they don't sound like ass. And Double Nickels, I might add, sounds very very good. It's easily the most clear sounding, audio verite album SST ever released.

And anyone who thinks D. Boon's guitar sound is crappy can eat my dick with a shit filled Pop-tart. It was a political decision for the Minutemen to separate the guitar and bass frequencies from each other. It works. Isn't there much more from 1984 that sounds that tons more asstastic? Black Flag? Husker Du? Rites of Spring? Seriously...
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:42 am

Minutemen, you rock like no others I have heard.

D. Boon, I wanna rap with you sometime on Philosophical Spiels even if you are dead. Keep chicken scratchin' in the Great Barbecue in the Sky.

Mike Watt, keep bassing along your merry way. Can I call you Slappy?

George Hurley, please appear on a recording soon. You smoke most drummers like salmon.

Minutemen are not crap. No they are not.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Sebastian J. on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:29 pm

NOT CRAP!!
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Your Cap'n Speakin' on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Saw the minutemen open for REM in Nov. 85. REM was just so weak that night in comparison. It was at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. The minutemen were on this huge stage (compared to the club postage stamp-sized affairs they had to contend with, I'm certain). They really worked that big stage. It was such a supercharged show. I think it was around that time that they recorded some live tracks at Georgia Tech's student station (WREK) that ended up on record. I owned two copies of Double Nickels at one time or another.
Your Cap'n Speakin'
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby garble on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:35 pm

mr.arrison wrote:

You are wrong. So wrong.

I don't get why some people on this forum criticize recordings that cost less to record than the amount of money some people spend on guitar effects pedals every month. And these albums sound great- for what they are, on the equipment they used, in the era they were recorded. Sure, the recordings aren't Fleetwood Mac, early ZZ Top or Steely Dan, but they don't sound like ass. And Double Nickels, I might add, sounds very very good. It's easily the most clear sounding, audio verite album SST ever released.

I think Buzz or Howl... is one of the greatest sounding albums from the 80s. Half was $50, the other half was free. But the instruments sound so fucking sweet on that one. It seems really close to what they would sound like live.
garble
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby sharko on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm

I just don't get what all the fuss is about.
They ain't no Steely Dan.
sharko
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby mr.arrison on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:26 pm

sharko wrote:I just don't get what all the fuss is about.
They ain't no Steely Dan.

Thank god for that. No one in the Minutemen buggered small boys.
mr.arrison

Postby JC23by5 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:11 am

Dumbass poll. Really.
JC23by5
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Sniff Glue on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:01 am

Great band and much more favoured over most hardcore. Double Nickels on the Dime is a timeless album, and so is this band.
Sniff Glue
monsignior
monsignior

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:32 am

Ace wrote:When I first heard them, after hearing their reputation, i was bitterly, bitterly disappointed. After over 8 years of wondering what the fuss was about i woke up one morning and listened to 'Joe McCarthy's Ghost' over 100 times in one day.

Man, I love the Minutemen throughout their entire career, but I'm not sure they ever topped that Paranoid Time EP. "Joe McCarthy," "Paranoid Chant," "Dictionary"--it's just too fucking much.

There is a new punk rock band in Louisville called Rude Weirdo that, at their best, remind me of a cross between the Voidoids and very early Minutemen. You can find 'em on Myspace.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Dr. Geek on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 am

Love 'em.

One of the few quintessential American bands.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek

Postby Piasek on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:49 am

not crap, but it's hardcore...
Piasek
grand
grand

Postby fancyjamtime on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:24 am

The first "punk" show I ever saw. I had not heard them before that night. D Boon was such a huge presence, intense and sweating, howling into the mike...I had never seen anything like it before or since. They played for what seemed like forever. They weren't up on stage...they were at our level. I don't remember who opened but it might have been Negative Approach. To forget seeing Negative Approach that night really says something about The Minutemen. I think it was at the Freezer in Detroit.

I only got to see them that one time but it's etched in my memory unlike any other band I've ever seen.

I like The Punch Line best I think.
Buster Bluth wrote:No mother, I can blow myself! You've interfered for the last time!
fancyjamtime
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Tuolumne on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:02 am

Piasek wrote:not crap, but it's hardcore...

A confusing statement...I've never thought of them as 'hardcore'. Hmmm.

Anyway, this is a band I can always listen to - I never seem to tire of them. Supremely not crap!
Tuolumne
thomas paine
thomas paine

Re: Band: Minutemen

Postby Ptommydski on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:45 am

Gang of Four.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re:

Postby FuzzBob on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am

mr.arrison wrote:

You are wrong. So wrong.

And anyone who thinks D. Boon's guitar sound is crappy can eat my dick with a shit filled Pop-tart. It was a political decision for the Minutemen to separate the guitar and bass frequencies from each other. It works. Isn't there much more from 1984 that sounds that tons more asstastic? Black Flag? Husker Du? Rites of Spring? Seriously...

...Sorry, but their records sound like ass.

You do have a point; they were the least asstastic mixes Spot did, and Buzz Or Howl even approaches being non-asstastic, but the fact is that Spot still did them in the first place and they still sound like ass.

D Boon's guitar sounds fine, even great in some live stuff. The mixes on any Firehose record will point out how good The Minutemen would have sounded with someone else behind the desk.
FuzzBob

Re: Band: Minutemen

Postby vogelscheuche on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 am

why is there even a discussion as to the sound of their records? it's kind of like judging the delivery of a political speech by the fact it's writtenon copy paper or 60# linen.

pure gold.
vogelscheuche
david schwimmer
david schwimmer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap