Crap.
6%
Not crap.
94%

Total votes : 235

Re:

Postby FuzzBob on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am

mr.arrison wrote:
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:I think their albums sound like ass.

You are wrong. So wrong.

I don't get why some people on this forum criticize recordings that cost less to record than the amount of money some people spend on guitar effects pedals every month. And these albums sound great- for what they are, on the equipment they used, in the era they were recorded. Sure, the recordings aren't Fleetwood Mac, early ZZ Top or Steely Dan, but they don't sound like ass. And Double Nickels, I might add, sounds very very good. It's easily the most clear sounding, audio verite album SST ever released.

And anyone who thinks D. Boon's guitar sound is crappy can eat my dick with a shit filled Pop-tart. It was a political decision for the Minutemen to separate the guitar and bass frequencies from each other. It works. Isn't there much more from 1984 that sounds that tons more asstastic? Black Flag? Husker Du? Rites of Spring? Seriously...

...Sorry, but their records sound like ass.

You do have a point; they were the least asstastic mixes Spot did, and Buzz Or Howl even approaches being non-asstastic, but the fact is that Spot still did them in the first place and they still sound like ass.

D Boon's guitar sounds fine, even great in some live stuff. The mixes on any Firehose record will point out how good The Minutemen would have sounded with someone else behind the desk.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Band: Minutemen

Postby vogelscheuche on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 am

why is there even a discussion as to the sound of their records? it's kind of like judging the delivery of a political speech by the fact it's writtenon copy paper or 60# linen.

pure gold.
vogelscheuche
david schwimmer
david schwimmer

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:49 am

Did I already post here? I'm too tired to check.

People exist who hate the Minutemen? Sure, they got a little burnt towards the end, and there's no way in hell I'm listening to fIREHOSE (or FireHouse for that matter), but jeez...

Not even remotely crap.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Domagoj on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:01 am

I don't have any problems with Minutemen recorded by Spot.

It seems like Minutemen didn't shit throughout their brilliant existence. Except for one unfortunate final turd of a record: 3-Way Tie. Project Mersh 12'' is hardly worth repeated listening as well.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby FuzzBob on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:07 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Did I already post here? I'm too tired to check.

People exist who hate the Minutemen? Sure, they got a little burnt towards the end, and there's no way in hell I'm listening to fIREHOSE (or FireHouse for that matter), but jeez...

Not even remotely crap.

Firehose deserves a fair shot. They didn't reach The Minutemen's dizzying heights, and Ed Crawford's voice really isn't my taste, but they still had some great moments.
FuzzBob

Postby Domagoj on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:11 am

fIREHOSE had enough great moments over three SST albums. I rather listen to these records than last efforts by Minutemen.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 am

Domagoj wrote:fIREHOSE had enough great moments all over three SST albums. I rather listen to these records than last efforts by Minutemen.

FuzzBob wrote:Firehose deserves a fair shot. They didn't reach The Minutemen's dizzying heights, and Ed Crawford's voice really isn't my taste, but they still had some great moments.

Oh, sure. To be fair, the first album is, if I remember correctly, at least ok. By no means is it horrible. Although I never feel compelled to listen to it in this day and age. It's more that I could actually see someone here perhaps thinking they were Crap. Hard to imagine the Minutemen getting that vote. But it's a strange world.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby cneutron on Fri May 20, 2011 11:58 am

Just rewatched WE JAM ECONO last night, what a fantastic movie, what a fantastic band.
12 people on this forum are batshit insane.

NOT CRAP!
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron

Postby Colonel Panic on Sat May 21, 2011 1:03 pm

I hate to admit I didn't appreciate this band enough when they were around. I actually passed up a couple opportunities to see them play, a fact I'm not proud of.

The test of time has proven their enduring greatness and relevance.

NOT CRAP.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Frank Decent on Sat May 21, 2011 1:33 pm

It's fun introducing young dudes to this band. Of course the kid is gaga over classic rock because a guitar player. Of course his mind is blown when he hears Double Nickles. His idea of punk just shattered. Not many bands can do something like that.
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby STF on Sat May 21, 2011 5:50 pm

I was in junior high in the mid/late 80s and a friend's cool college-aged brother shared a bunch of his punk and indie stuff with us. I got a dubbed copy of Double Nickels on the Dime (no song titles), and it was like nothing I ever heard before. I was used to conventional rock albums with 4-5 songs on a side and I heard a lot of crap albums with one or two good songs and a bunch of filler. The first time I listened to Double Nickels I thought, So many songs -and they're all good! The recording sounded, I don't know, realistic. The music was amazingly good but it sounded like something that real people, not rock stars, could do. It was the first album where I really started paying attention to the bass guitar and it made me want to play one. Minutemen might have been the most important band in my development as a music fan and bass player. So so so not crap.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby SecondEdition on Sat May 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Double Nickels is so mind-boggling that I actually never listened to their other records much. I still think that album contains multitudes and is its own universe, but still, there are other songs this band did. So I started paying more attention to the rest of the catalog recently.

Man, they certainly have a solid claim as the best band of the '80's.

I love The Punch Line. So much. 15:00 exactly of sheer genius. Buzz and Howl does get dragged a bit down by the stupid joke tracks, but the songs are brilliant and hooky. "I Felt Like a Gringo" is probably one of the best songs the band ever did. I'm making a full effort to hear the rest of the catalog now.

What a band.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby mog35 on Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 am

I never got into this band until a few years ago, but I love them now. There's bonus early gig footage on the We Jam Econo DVD where they're getting so much shit from the audience for not playing three chord hardcore-by-numbers.

I've got a lot of love for Firehose too.

NOT CRAP
mog35
president bartlett
president bartlett

Postby Dovey on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Watt just threw this up on his Facebook page: http://www.viddler.com/v/f7f71cf1

Excellent quality live footage from 1984. D. Boon shredding like a madman.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Heath on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I skipped school to buy Minutemen records.

One time, while skipping to Athens to buy aforementioned records, my car, an old Buick, went dead. The timing belt shat the bed. I was stuck on the deadest stretch of 129, long before the highway was four lanes, out in the middle of nowhere. In between Talmo and Jefferson, actually.

I went to find a place of business or home that might have a phone, which was understandably difficult. The only home I found with life in it featured an assortment of Confederate Flag memorabilia around the mantle. The friendly fellow who let me use his phone told me he made Civil War flags and patches. He was not lying.

I did not get any Minutemen records that day, but it was alright.

Not crap, ever.
I don't need the people of Athens any more than I need another hole in my head. I've got five already, thank you very much.
Heath
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby stewie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Dovey wrote:Watt just threw this up on his Facebook page: http://www.viddler.com/v/f7f71cf1

Excellent quality live footage from 1984. D. Boon shredding like a madman.

That was fantastic! Great footage, there.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby jakethesnake on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Great band. Like many others here, I'm not too fond of "Project:Mersh" or "3-way tie..." but in the case of the latter, it's mainly D.Boon's side. He seemed like he wanted to become some Springsteen/Browne/Mellencamp dude and that's REALLY not what I want out of this band.
Whatever, they made enough amazing music to be non-crap IMO...
jakethesnake
president
president

Postby Limmo on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:49 pm

This sounds pretty damn good:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1038
Limmo
rolex
rolex

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 pm

The Minutemen are one of the best bands ever. I wish I had heard of them when I was in high school. I would have if I had just dug a little further into Mike Watt's career after seeing his band open for Primus in '94, except Ball Hog or Tugboat wasn't all that great. I almost gave up on them on first listen because 3-Way Tie for Last is not that good an album. Everything else is great, even Project: Mersh.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby chumpchange on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:56 pm

How I discovered the greatness of the Minutemen:

In my second last year of high school in 1984 I was watching some televised music awards show and there was a live performance by X. A few months went by before I went to a record store and bought the only tape in stock, Under the Big Black Sun. Eventually I found More Fun in the New World as well, and was listening to "I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts" which name-checked D.O.A., The Big Boys and The Minutemen, among others. I tracked down the only D.O.A. I could find, Let's Wreck the Party and was a bit disappointed.

It was probably a year later before I found a record store that had anything by the Minutemen, and all they had was Project: Mersh. I loved it, and sought out Double Nickels on the Dime, which I found at the city library, and then I mail ordered a copy of What Makes a Man Start Fires? from SST. Their sound was not was I expected a "punk" band to sound like, but by that point I was beginning to recognize that "punk" was a state of mind, not a look or a sound. It was the Minutemen that led me to two other incredible SST artists, the Meat Puppets and Hüsker Dü. I still consider the discovery of the Minutemen as the moment that changed my life, I suppose the same way that Elvis or the Beatles or Nirvana changed the lives young people of other generations.

Every time listen to these bands, and Dinosaur Jr., Live Skull, Big Black, Nice Strong Arm, the Wipers, Mission of Burma, and so on, I am grateful that they are my classic rock.
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap