Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Led Zeppelin?

CRAP
18%
NOT CRAP
82%

Total votes : 271

Postby SchnappM on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:01 pm

ngjack wrote:and the funny thing is i own most of their albums and listen to them on occassion. just for the perversity of it.

That's exactly how I feel about Interpol. Well, except that they only actually have one album. I wouldn't buy their next one, though.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby stackmatic on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:28 pm

There is nothing about Robert Plant that I like. I hate his voice. His singing style. His look.

Nothing about Page appeals to me either.

I dislike Led Zeppelin's lyrics. I dislike their songs.

I have tried to listen to them plenty. And I always rate them as Crap.

[see also ngjack's more elegant comments]
stackmatic
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby lostboy on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:30 pm

the perfect soundtrack for the film in which led zeppelin is crucified on a giant, sparkling guitar would be the first forty seconds or so of "achilles last stand." THEREFORE, not crap.
lostboy
duke
duke

Conceptually man

Postby O H Lee on Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:23 pm

I alwys like early Led Zeppelin's approach: Take the blues & blow them up. The first two records(and their concerts) showed what morons Iron Butterfly and Blue Cheer were with the same M.O.

Unfortunately, they had a real mouthbreather for a manager who cut them off from the real world and kept them from people who would tell them when they sucked.

They tried to get past the bombast that got old and never succeeded.

My favorite post Zep moment:seeing Percy Plant holding up a SONGS ABOUT FUCKING on the cover of some British music mag in the early 90's.
O H Lee
junkballer
junkballer

Postby kerble on Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:44 am

I am tired of this Zeppelin Bashing (I'm looking at you, Mr. Placeholder, Friend!).

Bump a bump! Fools!

Not Crap. Not Crap at All.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mayfair on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:24 pm

kerble wrote:
Not Crap. Not Crap at All.

Faiz

I concur with Kerble. Who listens to the lyrics anyway when you have that monster Bonham/Jones combo rhythm section?? jeez!

Not Crap at all.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby ginandtacos.com on Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:32 am

voting "crap" on led zeppelin is like voting "crap" on the Sistene Chapel. I can easily understand how one could dislike their music, but to say that they are crap and without merit is beyond me.
ginandtacos.com
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby endofanera on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:59 am

ginandtacos.com wrote:voting "crap" on led zeppelin is like voting "crap" on the Sistene Chapel. I can easily understand how one could dislike their music, but to say that they are crap and without merit is beyond me.

Put up a Sistine Chapel C/NC, and someone will vote crap on it. Some of these gents cant wait to slaughter sacred cows. That some will also defend a wretched Living Color song is beyond me, but there's no accounting for taste, and I'm kinda glad for that. Think of how few of us could be persuaded to care so much about music if likes and dislikes werent utterly perverse.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby itchy mcgoo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:08 pm

After 29 years of avoiding this band due to the creepy stoners who built the pedastal they dwell on and Robert Plant's ear-searing cries, I bought "Physical Graffiti" this week. The first Led Zeppelin album I have ever owned. I can't stop listening to it. It's sonic and soulful at the same time. The drumming is madness. The ripped off blues riffs are wonderful. It's dirrrrty.

It's so cool to have this be "new" to me now.

Not Crap.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Rodabod on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Check out some of the acoustic Folk that Jimmy Page does from song to song too. It is excellent.

Also, there is some great innovative guitar writing there too, including some of the Blues licks.

Led Zep III is a great album and covers a lot of the bases. Led Zep II has some nice heavy stuff which was really pioneering.

Ach, everyone knows this already. Zeppelin rules!

Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby kenoki on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:36 pm

how can you NOT listen to the lyrics?....................

squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg? yuckk. does that mean his balls?
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:16 pm

kenoki wrote:how can you NOT listen to the lyrics?....................

squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg? yuckk. does that mean his balls?

it's the prostate.

there's a brilliant version of that song ("How Many More Times") on the BBC sessions discs, you mentioned being hooked on that, innit, kenoki?

holy crap, that section @ the maybe six minute mark where Page and Plant are trading those weird minimal matched guitar squeals/clipped yelps with nothing else going on? holy crap that's cool. it makes the 'lemon' part all the more tough from contrast into the ridiculous.

so great.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:23 pm

kerble wrote:there's a brilliant version of that song ("How Many More Times")

I haven't heard the BBC sessions, but Plant sings this line on "The Lemon Song" from Zep II.

He doesn't sing it on the studio version of "How Many More Times." But I wouldn't put it past him to use it in live versions of this song.

As with a lot of Zep stuff, this "squeeze my lemon" line was stolen from a very old blues song.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:30 pm

Angus Jung wrote:

kerble wrote:there's a brilliant version of that song ("How Many More Times")

I haven't heard the BBC sessions, but Plant sings this line on "The Lemon Song" from Zep II.

He doesn't sing it on the studio version of "How Many More Times." But I wouldn't put it past him to use it in live versions of this song.

As with a lot of Zep stuff, this "squeeze my lemon" line was stolen from a very old blues song.

yeh yeh. the vers. of "How Many more Times" is twelve minutes, so it's most likely jut the two run together.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby Eksvplot on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:58 pm

i have never liked this band, other than when i taped "Black Dog" off the radio when i was six. keep in mind though, at the time i also thought Huey Lewis & The News had some good tunes.

they (Led Zepplin) were a great band musically, but Robert Plant was such an uninspiring vocalist. i can honestly say he's about as moving to me as Steven Tyler, not to mention equally nauseating. to implore someone to ignore this, the weakest link, when it's center stage (both literally and in the mix) is a bit much.

i would rather own a common, slightly-used reissue 12" of Man Parrish's "Boogie Down Bronx" than a deluxe, remastered anthology of Led Zepplin's entire recorded output.
Eksvplot
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby 154 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:08 pm

i don't understand all of the opposition to robert plant as a singer. a lot of the lyrics are dumb, but i can't think of another hard rock singer from the era who could handle LZ's improvisational tendencies better. though i prefer his lower octave voice that he does on a lot of the ballads, his over the top voice often meshes with the music very well.

who'd you prefer, ozzy?
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:15 pm

154 wrote:i don't understand all of the opposition to robert plant as a singer. a lot of the lyrics are dumb, but i can't think of another hard rock singer from the era who could handle LZ's improvisational tendencies better. though i prefer his lower octave voice that he does on a lot of the ballads, his over the top voice often meshes with the music very well.

I often have a tough time with Robert Plant, but this is a great point.

Who else could sing for this band? Do you want Bryan Ferry up there?
Last edited by Angus Jung on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Eksvplot on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:17 pm

154 wrote:who'd you prefer?

Steven Tyler.
Eksvplot
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby bfields on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:53 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:
It's so cool to have this be "new" to me now.

Not Crap.

I'm so jealous! I went through the classic high school boy zeppelin thing. During that year there was nothing musically that could top listening to the mighty Zep in my headphones. Physical Graffiti will give you a lifetime of quality listening. You may consider Zeppelin III for your next purchase. Presence is also fantastic, but often needs many listens to get there.

Oh, and someone put The Crunge on the jukebox last night. You are my hero.
bfields
mars volta frontman
mars volta frontman

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:49 pm

This line is ripped off verbatim from Robert Johnson, who admittedly doesn't wink and nudge you in the ribs like Plant does when he says it, but still--Bob's not to blame for that one. The Norse mythology, on the other hand...
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap