home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Led Zeppelin

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Led Zeppelin?

CRAP
48
18%
NOT CRAP
223
82%
 
Total votes : 271

Postby Plantweed on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:45 am

I'm 37 and my name's Rbt. Plante (French version), so you figure out how many times it was an ice-breaker with drunk chicks at '80s kegger parties. Thx Pop.

Had a lot of good memories associated with Zep. Come upon iced-over waterfalls during a night-time snowstorm in the woods tripping our balls off and immediately thought of "No Quarter"; the bittersweet "Rain Song" makes me think of summer parties on the cliff overlooking the Hudson Valley, and how we knew we better enjoy being a kid cos it wouldn't last; "Battle of Evermore" would flip us out when we were stoned out of our gourds; and "Kashmir" could make you trance out and drive off the road if you weren't careful.

In the purest sense Sabbath invented metal. Zep were basically a heavy prog band.

John Paul Jones was indeed the secret weapon of this band.
Plantweed
bocce bowler
bocce bowler
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:58 am
Location: The edge of nowhere

Postby itchy mcgoo on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:58 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
kenoki wrote:how can you NOT listen to the lyrics?....................

squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg? yuckk. does that mean his balls?


As with a lot of Zep stuff, this "squeeze my lemon" line was stolen from a very old blues song.


I read last night that the lemon line was a nod to Robert Johnson, and the rest of it was Vanilla Iced from this.
User avatar
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4893
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: The Good Ship Lollipop

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:14 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
kenoki wrote:how can you NOT listen to the lyrics?....................

squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg? yuckk. does that mean his balls?


As with a lot of Zep stuff, this "squeeze my lemon" line was stolen from a very old blues song.


I read last night that the lemon line was a nod to Robert Johnson, and the rest of it was Vanilla Iced from this.

It should be noted that it is very much in the blues tradition to 'compose' song lyrics by taking individual verses from different songs you heard down the line, and coming up with a title/hook (i.e. "Terraplane") of your own to tie it all together.

This is what everybody did in Robert Johnson's day, and I'm sure he did it too. I have little doubt that many of the lyrics attributed to him were things he heard some broke-down guy, who never made a record or was remembered in any other way, sing.

These guys didn't really think about stuff like copyright and song ownership. It was a pool everybody drank from. What made you unique was your individual style of singing and playing, not so much your 'original compositions.'

Zep followed in this tradition, but it was disingenuous of them, as a mega-corporation earning millions and millions of dollars from their 'original compositions', to do so. They should have done something to make this right, but to my knowledge they never did. I know they got sued at least once.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9416
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:20 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
itchy mcgoo wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
kenoki wrote:how can you NOT listen to the lyrics?....................

squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg? yuckk. does that mean his balls?


As with a lot of Zep stuff, this "squeeze my lemon" line was stolen from a very old blues song.


I read last night that the lemon line was a nod to Robert Johnson, and the rest of it was Vanilla Iced from this.

It should be noted that it is very much in the blues tradition to 'compose' song lyrics by taking individual verses from different songs you heard down the line, and coming up with a title/hook (i.e. "Terraplane") of your own to tie it all together.

This is what everybody did in Robert Johnson's day, and I'm sure he did it too. I have little doubt that many of the lyrics attributed to him were things he heard some broke-down guy, who never made a record or was remembered in any other way, sing.

These guys didn't really think about stuff like copyright and song ownership. It was a pool everybody drank from. What made you unique was your individual style of singing and playing, not so much your 'original compositions.'

Zep followed in this tradition, but it was disingenuous of them, as a mega-corporation earning millions and millions of dollars from their 'original compositions', to do so. They should have done something to make this right, but to my knowledge they never did. I know they got sued at least once.


These lines that appear in countless songs, kind of the blues version of public domain, are called "floaters."

As far as Zeppelin goes, you can bet those blues guys ripped each other off mercilessly (it's generally accepted that Robert Johnson's sold-my-soul-to-the-devil-at-the-crossroads shtick was lifted from Peetie Wheatstraw, "The Devil's Son-in-Law") and would've gladly cashed in had they had the opportunity .
User avatar
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Postby placeholder on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:These lines that appear in countless songs, kind of the blues version of public domain, are called "floaters."


This is a perfectly appropriate descriptor for most Zeppelin lyrics, regardless of whether they're original, lifted from blues songs, or lifted from bad fantasy fiction.

CRAP.
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8088
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Postby punch_the_lion on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:40 pm

placeholder wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:These lines that appear in countless songs, kind of the blues version of public domain, are called "floaters."


This is a perfectly appropriate descriptor for most Zeppelin lyrics, regardless of whether they're original, lifted from blues songs, or lifted from bad fantasy fiction.

CRAP.


"The bad fantasy fiction" was only limited two a couple of songs off Led Zeppelin II and IV. Despite the pervasive blues influence they were capable of writing good songs and were excellent musicians. Not Crap overall.
Last edited by punch_the_lion on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Postby Tom on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:52 pm

This argument that Led Zepplin ripped off the blues is f'ing retarded.
So did ZZ Top
So did The Beatles
So did So Did Thin Lizzy
So did The Jesus Lizard

So did a billion other bands. Why is it that Led Zepplin is the only one who gets shit for it?
User avatar
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7806
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Location: God's Hand

Postby itchy mcgoo on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:05 pm

Tom wrote:This argument that Led Zepplin ripped off the blues is f'ing retarded.
So did ZZ Top
So did The Beatles
So did So Did Thin Lizzy
So did The Jesus Lizard

So did a billion other bands. Why is it that Led Zepplin is the only one who gets shit for it?


T-Dawg.

I posted what I did because of what I read night about Killing Floor/Lemon Song, and because I enjoyed reading both lyrics. I'd be the one the last to insinuate that LZ used blues elements in an unoriginal way. Their influences show clearly, but it's an novel interpretation that has been buzzing my noodle in a big way of late.

-bef.
User avatar
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4893
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: The Good Ship Lollipop

Postby Ty Webb on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:34 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:After 29 years of avoiding this band due to the creepy stoners who built the pedastal they dwell on and Robert Plant's ear-searing cries, I bought "Physical Graffiti" this week. The first Led Zeppelin album I have ever owned. I can't stop listening to it. It's sonic and soulful at the same time. The drumming is madness. The ripped off blues riffs are wonderful. It's dirrrrty.

It's so cool to have this be "new" to me now.

Not Crap.


I don't know if I've ever been more jealous. To come to Led Zeppelin not exactly pure, but at least unencumbered, at a relatively mature age and with so much other music already under your belt must be devastating.

I listen to a shitload of heavy music and see a lot of heavy acts live. Really heavy. Just last night, I was listening to "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and thought that it was still one of the heaviest songs ever recorded in the best sense of the word.

Everyone who voted CRAP? Get in the fucking truck. Seriously, turn in your cards, get in the truck, and perform one last, tiny act for humanity by becoming Soilent Green. I will eat your ill-directed, sour iconoclasm, though it bring tears to my eyes and a rise in my gorge, and "Hats Off To Roy Harper" will soothe my demons.

Shame on you. SHAME!
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
User avatar
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12356
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby itchy mcgoo on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:40 pm

BadComrade wrote:I know something else that's been "buzzing your noodle" lately...

Wipe off your neck Bef.


BC-
I am still so full I never want to eat again.
19 hours later and I'm still leaking meat juice out my ear.
G'damn.
User avatar
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4893
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: The Good Ship Lollipop

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:41 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:After 29 years of avoiding this band due to the creepy stoners who built the pedastal they dwell on and Robert Plant's ear-searing cries, I bought "Physical Graffiti" this week. The first Led Zeppelin album I have ever owned. I can't stop listening to it. It's sonic and soulful at the same time. The drumming is madness. The ripped off blues riffs are wonderful. It's dirrrrty.

It's so cool to have this be "new" to me now.

Not Crap.


Ty Webb wrote:I don't know if I've ever been more jealous. To come to Led Zeppelin not exactly pure, but at least unencumbered, at a relatively mature age and with so much other music already under your belt must be devastating.

I listen to a shitload of heavy music and see a lot of heavy acts live. Really heavy. Just last night, I was listening to "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and thought that it was still one of the heaviest songs ever recorded in the best sense of the word.

Everyone who voted CRAP? Get in the fucking truck. Seriously, turn in your cards, get in the truck, and perform one last, tiny act for humanity by becoming Soilent Green. I will eat your ill-directed, sour iconoclasm, though it bring tears to my eyes and a rise in my gorge, and "Hats Off To Roy Harper" will soothe my demons.

Shame on you. SHAME!

Ty Webb- I'll be in NY in July. I owe you at least one drink for this.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9416
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Postby Ty Webb on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:47 pm

Yay! Beer! Yay!
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
User avatar
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12356
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:49 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Yay! Beer! Yay!

I was thinking more along these lines.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9416
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Postby Ty Webb on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:53 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Yay! Beer! Yay!

I was thinking more along these lines.




SWEET FANNY MARIE!

I think a drink that adds yet another brown liquor to a Three Kings-type shot would pretty much have to be named for a professional lush like Page.

Couldn't we just have some Disaronno on the rocks and cuddle?
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
User avatar
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12356
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Yay! Beer! Yay!

I was thinking more along these lines.




SWEET FANNY MARIE!

I think a drink that adds yet another brown liquor to a Three Kings-type shot would pretty much have to be named for a professional lush like Page.

Couldn't we just have some Disaronno on the rocks and cuddle?


I think your supposed to pour the contents into a teenage groupie and stir with a swordfish.
User avatar
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Yay! Beer! Yay!

I was thinking more along these lines.




SWEET FANNY MARIE!

I think a drink that adds yet another brown liquor to a Three Kings-type shot would pretty much have to be named for a professional lush like Page.

Couldn't we just have some Disaronno on the rocks and cuddle?


I think your supposed to pour the contents into a teenage groupie and stir with a swordfish.

While standing in the exact center of a pentagram.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9416
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:59 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:19 hours later and I'm still leaking meat juice out my ear.

You are begging, begging to have your mom dragged into the Led Zeppelin C/NC thread.

For Mr. Crowley's sake, I won't do it.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9416
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:02 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
itchy mcgoo wrote:19 hours later and I'm still leaking meat juice out my ear.

You are begging, begging to have your mom dragged into the Led Zeppelin C/NC thread.

For Mr. Crowley's sake, I won't do it.


Mrs. Itchy . . . what goes on in your "head"?
User avatar
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Postby alpha80 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:33 pm

5th greatest band ever.

Officially not crap. 8)
User avatar
alpha80
thomas paine
thomas paine
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Tom on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:31 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:T-Dawg.

I posted what I did because of what I read night about Killing Floor/Lemon Song, and because I enjoyed reading both lyrics. I'd be the one the last to insinuate that LZ used blues elements in an unoriginal way. Their influences show clearly, but it's an novel interpretation that has been buzzing my noodle in a big way of late.

-bef.


Beef-
This wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. In fact, I hadn't even noticed your post. It's just a common criticism I've often heard about Led & the Zepplins.

I want to start a band called Goldn Blimp. We'll be like Led Zepplin except better in both ways.
User avatar
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7806
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Location: God's Hand

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brephophagist, RSMurphy, tallchris and 31 guests