Film : Lincoln

Crap
16%
Not Crap
84%

Total votes : 25

Film : Lincoln

Postby scott on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Liked it. Very flat and undynamic as far as Hollywood goes, but never got boring and had plenty of interesting plot movement and quality acting. Tommy Lee Jones was a standout. And the way the film was focused on the specific political workings was great, as opposed to being all about the war or all about Lincoln's personal life. They did a great job of focusing on the most interesting and least discussed part of the story.

NOT CRAP
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Re: Film : Lincoln

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Liked it quite a bit.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Schadenfreude on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

The scene where Alexander Stephens is at the bargaining table with Lincoln...when the light brightly shows one of his bright blue eyes but a shadow covers the other? FUCKING CREEPY. Spielberg may be tagged to make safe, big budget blockbusters for the whole family, but that shot was awesome artistically.

Also, it's been awhile since I've heard the n-word that many times in a Spielberg film. Damn.

Tad Stephens cornering that Pennsylvania politician to bully him into voting "the right way." I imagine that conversation happens pretty regularly in Congress. Pretty funny. Slightly disturbing.

Acting was superior. Normally I don't pay enough respect to wardrobe/makeup, but this film clearly is the most perfect in cinematic history for actor-to-real person physical similarity. Everybody. Both Stephenses, Seward, Sumner....
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

Postby Andrew. on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 pm

I've heard it looks great and the main character is the 13th Amendment, not Lincoln.

Here's an informatively critical review of its politics and treatment of history.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby geiginni on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Glad someone was ready to take the piss out of this film.

Needed. to. be. Done.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby etch on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 am

Andrew. wrote:I've heard it looks great and the main character is the 13th Amendment, not Lincoln.

Here's an informatively critical review of its politics and treatment of history.

That was one helluva good read. Thanks for linking.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Chromodynamic on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 am

Andrew. wrote:Here's an informatively critical review of its politics and treatment of history.

This was a very good article.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Schadenfreude on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 am

Chromodynamic wrote:
Andrew. wrote:Here's an informatively critical review of its politics and treatment of history.

This was a very good article.

Meh.

Well I'm glad to see an Eric Foner reference. What a fucking fantastic writer.

Still, I liked the movie. It's a goddamned MOVIE. :wink:
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

Postby eephour on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:44 am

I loved the casting of Hal Holbrook.
eephour

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm

eephour wrote:I loved the casting of Hal Holbrook.

That was perfect, as was pretty much the whole cast. Do we just send DDL his oscar now?
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby AlBStern on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Great movie. DDL's performance, especially the odd pitch and cadence of Lincoln's voice really worked. Not sure where he got that from.

I agree with the article about the transparency of the compromise message. Doesn't make the tactic any less effective though, then or now.

Get what you can.
Hold your ground.
Consolidate your gains.
Build on it over time.

Tried and true.
AlBStern
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am

AlBStern wrote:Great movie. DDL's performance, especially the odd pitch and cadence of Lincoln's voice really worked. Not sure where he got that from.

Apparently, Lincoln had a higher pitched voice than one would expect from his size.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I've got several books on Lincoln and the descriptions of his voice being "high and reedy" are pretty universal.
Riff Magnum

Postby Foldyourarmsandsaynah on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Fun fact: my dad is in this film about 4 or 5 shots after the attack on Wilmington starts and Lincoln is in the war room getting updated by telegraph. It was weird as fuck seeing a 15 foot version of my dads face.

The movie I dug. I thought the opening was a bit heavy handed and didn't really dig Sally Fields at all. If those are the worst parts though I'm still pretty impressed.
Marsupialized wrote:Why is asshole fucking limited to those over 45? That's bullshit.

steve wrote:Well I know nothing about being a Jew, so I don't tend to pass judgment on how you conduct your child killing rituals or whatever.
Foldyourarmsandsaynah
stu ungar
stu ungar

Postby Boombats on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Do they address his homosexuality in this movie picture?
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby seanurban on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 am

Boombats wrote:Do they address his homosexuality in this movie picture?

yes. subtly.
seanurban
King High

Postby punch_the_lion on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 am

Oversimplifying the black abolition movement and exaggerating the importance of the events leading up to the passing of the 13th Amement aside, it should have been about the life of Lincoln.

The political machinations in the House of Representatives doesn't make for compelling cinema. It felt dry to me, emotionally detached. Well acted with nice production values but wildly overpraised. Not crap with a lot of waffles.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Gramsci on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it. That said living here in the UK the liberal press does a good job trumpeting their abolition of slavery, to which my Brazilian wife once quipped, "Well, if they didn't like it so much maybe they shouldn't have been doing all the selling..."
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Riff Magnum on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 pm

punch_the_lion wrote:Oversimplifying the black abolition movement and exaggerating the importance of the events leading up to the passing of the 13th Amement aside, it should have been about the life of Lincoln.

The political machinations in the House of Representatives doesn't make for compelling cinema. It felt dry to me, emotionally detached. Well acted with nice production values but wildly overpraised. Not crap with a lot of waffles.

There's been plenty of movies/tv shows about his boyhood and rise to prominence. The civil war was his albatross. The 13th amendment was his legacy. There's no way you could tell his life story, plus accurately describe all the other intricate political machinations opposing him and supporting him, in a two hour movie. That would be really dry and honestly, that's what books and documentaries are for.
Overall, it was kinda dry though.

What i most take away from it, is just how sucky our politicians have become. They're not good enough to eat the peanuts outta Lincoln's shit. I know they were racist and sexist and corrupt and blah blah blah, but even the "bad" guys could elevate their opinions just by the way they spoke. If anything, i respect their honesty. Insults sound like poetry. The scene where Lincoln is addressing his cabinet in private about his liberal use of "war powers" gave me goosebumps. People actually thinking and feeling instead of acting like robots or entertainers.
Riff Magnum

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap