Crap
16%
Not Crap
84%

Total votes : 25

Re: Film : Lincoln

Postby punch_the_lion on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Riff,

I hear you on its significance towards Lincoln's legacy and the political subtext as it relates today. Just felt there are other aspects of Lincoln's life that would have been more dramatically interesting. This wasn't a horrible movie, but I thought Schindler's List was superior as far as Spielberg biopics go. Less histrionics, more dramatically involving.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Riff Magnum on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I guess Spielberg didn't wanna compete with "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"

agreed on Schindlers List
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mt on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 am

Saw this tonight. I guess the amount of focus on legislation could make it dry for some folks, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was a big fan of Team of Rivals, so I suppose my enthusiasm extended into this film.

Anyway, Not Crap.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Plastic Eggs on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 pm

It was a bit too schmaltzy for my tastes.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby Robot McGearman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Great film. Not crap.
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 pm

I thought it was overall very good, though I had some waffles.

Cons: Parts of it felt extremely Ken Burns, especially early on. There was some typical Spielberg self-referencing, which I feel is kind of tacky in a historical drama. (We get it - you made Saving Private Ryan. While it wasn't bad, there was little point starting off the movie like that.) I thought the scene where Lincoln talked to Elizabeth Keckley in the doorway felt rather patronizing and off. There were definitely points when the music made itself extremely obvious that you were supposed to feel a certain way about a scene, and that rubbed me wrong (but then, things like that always do). I generally think Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good actor, but I don't think he was well directed at all here. His accent felt badly forced, as did his outburst about why he had to enlist. I also think that the movie really should have ended with Lincoln saying, "Well, I think it's time for me to go..." (or whatever he says then) and walking down the steps. They could have moved the Second Inaugural up earlier in the film, though I understand why they wanted to end with that. The whole scene with the screaming kid (who was kind of annoying in general) was not really necessary, and it would probably have been smarter, in my view, not to have included Lincoln on the deathbed at all. The beginning of the flashback with Lincoln delivering the Second Inaugural in a candle was ridiculous Spielberg corn.

Yes, the historical record was oversimplified and exaggerated for dramatic effect, but I expect that in a Hollywood movie where the primary purpose is entertainment. The message about getting things done with political compromise was very deliberately transparent.

Pros: A lot of the acting was top-quality. Daniel Day-Lewis really does deserve an Oscar: the voice in particular was astonishing. Tommy Lee Jones was really, really good and funny (the scene where he effortlessly browbeats Coffroth was a lot of fun). Sally Field made the most of a really thankless role. Jackie Earle Haley's performance as Alexander Stephens was brilliantly controlled (I also noticed how well composed the shot with one glinting blue eye was), and David Strathairn was also very good. I personally got a big kick out of seeing Walton Goggins playing a timid politician, because I kept expecting him to turn into Shane from The Shield. And this hasn't been mentioned really, but it was quite a shock for me to realize that the hilariously profane, charismatic fat political operative with the big curly mustache was actually James Spader, of all people. I would never have expected Yuppie Slimebag No. 1 to have been so charming, funny and unrecognizable. I had no idea it was him until the credits started rolling. I really, really enjoyed all the political parts - I found them far more involving than any of the domestic stuff, really.

Not Crap, :WF: 4.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Gramsci wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing it. That said living here in the UK the liberal press does a good job trumpeting their abolition of slavery, to which my Brazilian wife once quipped, "Well, if they didn't like it so much maybe they shouldn't have been doing all the selling..."

Right, watched it.

A combo of "meh" and "yawn"...

A seriously dull and boring film, great acting and a little great over-acting but I fell asleep for 30 mins and didn't miss a moment.

... also the plot... gets guys to vote for a bill, however historic is not really very riveting.

Lincoln, albeit amazingly acted right down to the "historically accurate reedy voice", came across like Grandpa Simpson: "I remember this coin, it was a tuesday and I was wearing my zoot pants, that were the fashion of the time, my friend Willy was scraping for bog toads when he fell a'cropa three whistle tweaks and we all got arrested..."
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby warmowski on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Agree it was a little boring and technocratic. I'm glad it was. Important shit usually is.

Also enjoyed the Ethan Allen story he told.

I've always paid less attention to the history of the 19th century than I have to the 20th, so I can't speak to accuracy, and I wish I could.

I can say (again) that the wow-we-finally-won-this-thing bit with Lincoln and Grant on the porch of that house, where they agreed to not execute Lee and Davis and the rest of the fuckfaces, has led to a very unique situation in civil war outcomes around the world. There are still statues of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and first wizard of the Klan Nathan Beford Forrest standing today all over the South, enough to make a set of bubble gum trading cards. That shit just doesn't happen if you hang them, like they do in the rest of the world after such a war.

-r
warmowski
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Saw it today. Enjoyed it a lot. I am glad it didn't focus so much on his personal life but it did show him in many ways as a simple man and father and human being. I have never seen Lincoln portrayed so naturally. I liked that it was about the boring machinations behiond the scenes. That's how it's done. We got a glmpse of how the sausage is made. All the acting was top notch, design, production, costumes, lighting, etc. All of it very good.

I would have liked more vampires but satisfied overall.

NOT CRAP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tbone on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am

Saw this a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely had a "dramatized for theatrical effect" feeling to it, but that aspect was more entertaining than annoying IMO.

I have noticed an alarming percentage of everyone I know, including me, confessing that we don't know nearly as much about the specifics of this time in our nation's history as we think we should. If anything, maybe it'll be a good kick in the ass to get a lot of us to actually delve into a book or two. Seems like we should all know a lot more about the civil war than the oversimplified bullshit we learned in grade school.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Pathetic.

Like a film made by precocious children for retarded adults. Or vice versa...
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 am

SecondEdition wrote:I thought it was overall very good, though I had some waffles.
Not Crap, :WF: 4.

I saw this last night and mostly agree with your pros, not so much your cons. I really enjoyed DDL and Tommy Lee Jones. Probably what made me like it the most was it was the first movie I've seen of DDL's where I didn't think "Hey that's Daniel Day Lewis playing Daniel Day Lewis' version of some fucking wacko." He made it easy to believe that he was Lincoln.
Anthony Flack wrote:In fact it was Jimmy Saville who first introduced Cream to The Small Faces.
Sock OR Muffin?
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby HOUSTON_M on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am

seanurban wrote:
Boombats wrote:Do they address his homosexuality in this movie picture?

yes. subtly.

That should give Andrew Sullivan's T-cells a timely boost.
HOUSTON_M

Postby HOUSTON_M on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 am

madmanmunt wrote:Pathetic.

Like a film made by precocious children for retarded adults. Or vice versa...

There's a little boy inside Spielberg. Or vice versa...
HOUSTON_M

Postby Earwicker on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:32 pm

I liked it, but there's a scene in the film where a guy gets fed up of all Lincoln's allegorical tales and storms out. At times I did kind of feel like that guy.
And the Saving Private Ryan soundtrack can fuck off.
And what about all the slaughtered Native Americans which, to me, was kind of a massive elephant in the room when you're banging on about universal equality in America at the time?
In fact I've persuaded myself while writing this that, while the film, in film terms, is good it is actually fucking bullshit.

Crap + various waffles (though before I wrote this I voted Not Crap. Irony.)
krakabash wrote: we really should look at all the sides of the issue because the Zionist evil is a menace to mankind and peace on earth.
Earwicker

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Saw it last night on Netflix. Lame but DDL does a decent job as you might expect. Heavy handed directing with parts where someone’s giving a speech and the camera will focus on a black person either smiling or crying. And that part at the end with Mary Todd Lincoln’s speech? It’s like each character is narrating certain interpretations of history of whatever.
The whole movie is posed like a case against radical politics. It makes sense that it was made in the Obama era, actually. Basically a dumb movie to be shown in dumb schools.
Haven’t read the articles posted in this thread, but will. Good excuse to renew my Jacobin subscription.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Saw it again last night. Yeah, it's sappy and the musical cues suck and there's about 9 million other things they could've focused on in his life, but it gets a not crap just for the cast and acting. Pretty much everyone kicks ass.
Yeah, it pretty much is a case against radical politics and a good one. Shit wouldn't have turned out very well for the country as a whole if Lincoln had acted like some firebrand abolitionist wielding his emotions like a sword. I'd literally pay money to have him in office again.
Riff Magnum

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap