CRAP
39%
NOT CRAP
61%

Total votes : 236

Re: Rikki / Clapton / Heroin

Postby scott on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:45 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:Scott-

I stand by "musicless". Of course the word is retarded. Steely Dan warrants the creation of a new, completely retarded word because attempting to discuss their music is like trying to discuss Joan Rivers' natural beauty. Just about impossible with our limited lexicon.

NO! STOP TALKING LIKE THAT!

Seriously Beff, if you could get some drinks in you, nice and drinkey, and then have Bodhisattva come on and you don't get to dancing, well then, hey, the hell do I know?

And yeah, definitely don't listen to the words! I don't think they're very good on that one. But I can see you dancing to it, Beff. I can see you tipsy and unable to resist, it's got such a silly fun swing to it.

Beff, we need to get you drinked up, and get that song on the muzak system in the grocery store, and dammit, you're gonna be unable to keep from dancing with the guy stocking the shelves. I *PROMISE*
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby itchy mcgoo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Scott-

1. You are admitting it would take a combination of alcohol and a tuning out of the lyrics for me to enjoy this band.

2. Hire a bodyguard, I seriously want to beat you. You are the embodiment of the "no, you should like it" Dan fan.

3. I am a stubborn motherfucker, but I will take this challenge if bumble agrees to endure it with me. I am not afraid of being wrong. For reals, EA night at the Goldstar, with the Dan stacked on the jukebox after libations are imbibed. I'll listen. And I'll listen to all of you mofos try and tell me what the fuck you hear in there and I'll listen for that.

Then we can drink and thumbwrestle and talk about the 2006 4th quarter concert schedule.

edit-i repeat words and spell poorly.
Last edited by itchy mcgoo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kerble on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:11 pm

If I remember correctly (and I do), bumble danced to the Dan on accident at Gold Star last time.

haha.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby itchy mcgoo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:31 pm

kerble wrote:
itchy mcgoo wrote:The only thing I hate worse than this wretched, slick, utterly fucking worthless band is the chorus of it's minions telling me "I don't get it". Fuck. You.

I get it.
It's CRAP. The worst CRAP i have ever heard. I would ride Greyhound for six months straight through the American South than have to hear an entire album side of this coked-out musicless music.

recall the "either you like it or don't" paradigm I pointed out in my first post on this thread. I don't think you 'dont' get it', I just think you 'don't like it'. s'fine.

This is good! And this is the way a discussion of this or any band should go. But a Steely Dan conversation frequently takes another path, one in which the fan insists you don't "get it" and then attempt to sell you on the hooey lyrics while admitting that the music is wanky slick shit.

This is especially amusing to me when it happens after I say that I just can't fucking stand the sound of the band. The next sentence is usually something akin to listening past the music and appreciating the "subversion"/irony/wool-pulling.

Which to me sounds like justification. Or qualification. I'm not saying it's mean, and I know it's born of a love of this band. It's prominent when it comes to these turkeys. Here is something of an example:

BadComrade wrote:
itchy mcgoo wrote:Steely Dan would be the ideal soundtrack for my murderous rampage to follow.

God, I hate Steely Dan.

That's just... depressing. As witty as you appear to be, you should totally appreciate those guys. I mean, how can you have no appreciation for a band who named themselves after a steam-powered dildo, and write lyrics like:

"Well I've kicked around a lot since high school
I've worked a lot of nowhere gigs
From keyboard man in a rock'n ska band

Also, bumble claims to have been "deaf-drunk" during the dancing to the Dan. Dancing to Dan while deaf-drunk does not equal Dan love. Especially when one's dance partner is persuasive and wears assless chaps when asking for a twirl.

vockins--we actually get together and race BSA's. Well, I smoke everyone on my Vincent Black Shadow. You thought we just hung out and drank at some bar?
Last edited by itchy mcgoo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kerble on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:33 pm

BSA? wazzat?

Goldstar is just a local dive. it's nice. free pool. often empty. reasonable drinks.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby kerble on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:37 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:Also, bumble claims to have been "deaf-drunk" during the dancing to the Dan. Dancing to Dan while deaf-drunk does not equal Dan love.

that was the shame talking. she did admit to liking that song, but took it back. it was because I mocked her. I truly wish I could remember which one it was.

also, I've had Steely Dan on the stereo for two hours.

Faiz
Last edited by kerble on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:37 pm

itchy mcgoo wrote:Utilizing "subversion" is a dim trick anyway.
Ooooh, they're sneaking in sleaze and middle America doesn't get it! Ha!Ha!

Middle America is plenty sleazy without Steely Dan. Steely Dan is "subversive" in precisely the way that almost all popular music is--they somehow found a way to make a living by pumping out shitty music.

Viva la revolucion!
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby itchy mcgoo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:40 pm

kerble wrote:
that was the shame tlaking. it was also because I mocked her. he did admit to liking that song. I truly wish I could remember which one it was.

also, I've had Steely Dan on the stereo for two hours.

Faiz

He? She was so not herself, you thought she was a dewd.

Dewd.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kerble on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 pm

Dammit, I just edited that in my earlierpost. my keyboard at home is wonky. the c and the s and the space have been screwy since I dropped it and some keys popped off.

:(
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby itchy mcgoo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:55 pm

Unfortunately, I kid.

But I'm up for polluting a conspiracy thread with exclusionary MotoGP blahblah sometime.

Also, Steely Dan=CRAP.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby scott on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:54 pm

1. You are admitting it would take a combination of alcohol and a tuning out of the lyrics for me to enjoy this band.

2. Hire a bodyguard, I seriously want to beat you. You are the embodiment of the "no, you should like it" Dan fan.

3. I am a stubborn motherfucker, but I will take this challenge if bumble agrees to endure it with me. I am not afraid of being wrong. For reals, EA night at the Goldstar, with the Dan stacked on the jukebox after libations are imbibed. I'll listen. And I'll listen to all of you mofos try and tell me what the fuck you here in there and I'll listen for that.

Then we can drink and thumbwrestle and talk about the 2006 4th quarter concert schedule.

Holy crap does this sound great. Me and two super-hawt wimmens getting drunk, and me trying to convince said super-hawts to drunkenly dance to a creepy, gae artsy-jazz-pop band at a hipster bar?

Am I dead? Is this heaven?

What Steely Dan album do they have on the juke at Goldstar?!?!
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby bigc on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:52 am

BadComrade wrote:
bigc wrote:
BadComrade wrote:The B52's were not a "shitty band".

Fuck, now I have to upload that B-52's show to the gmail account, cause I know someone out there's gonna wanna hear it.

I have to cop to the fact that I hate them for everything I have heard, even the albums that people have said were the 'good ones'. I dont' know the names, so it's entirely possible that there are 'good ones' that I would like.

I uploaded that 1979 B-52's show to the gmail account for anyone that want's it.

bigc: Skip the first track, I have a feeling you'd hate it. Start at "52 girls" and go from there. If you can't appreciate that song... the energy in it, the guitar playing, the girls singing... then you my friend, have no soul.

Thanks. I'll get on it very soon.
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:05 am

ctrl-s wrote:If there has to be mellow jazzy rock, I suppose I'm glad that some of it is clever and sleazy and subversive and all that. Still, it is mellow jazzy rock, and I cannot listen to mellow jazzy rock. Crap.

YAY. thanks. i was trying to figure out how to explain my dislike for this band. I don't give a fuck what they are singing about. I still don't want to listen to it.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 am

To me their music is very authentic, in the sense that they do it because they love it, and I happen to love it too. The lyrics just happen to fit right in. Since they rarely play Steely Dan at all in Brazil, let alone in supermarkets and convenience stores, I have avoided overkill / shitty associations.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby skatingbasser on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:02 pm

Sure enough, yesterday in the grocery store Old School was on. I never hear it played in Pittsburgh, but here in Philly i hear it everywhere. Especially CVS.

Not Crap.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby bumble on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:52 pm

scott wrote:

3. I am a stubborn motherfucker, but I will take this challenge if bumble agrees to endure it with me. I am not afraid of being wrong. For reals, EA night at the Goldstar, with the Dan stacked on the jukebox after libations are imbibed. I'll listen. And I'll listen to all of you mofos try and tell me what the fuck you here in there and I'll listen for that.

Holy crap does this sound great. Me and two super-hawt wimmens getting drunk, and me trying to convince said super-hawts to drunkenly dance to a creepy, gae artsy-jazz-pop band at a hipster bar?

Am I dead? Is this heaven?

What Steely Dan album do they have on the juke at Goldstar?!?!

Holy Christ.
bumble

Postby bumble on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:54 pm

p.s., kerble can bite me. I hate Steely Dan. I do not see what is so appealing about creepily smooth incestuous weasel raping music.
bumble

Postby kerble on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:59 pm

it's dolphin rape, baby. dolphin rape.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby HOUSTON_M on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm

NOT CRAP.

They had genuine musical talent. Their songs have more harmonic content than most pop music.

They committed themselves to fully formed melodies in many of their songs - they didn't just hedge their bets harmonically.

I can understand why people dislike them but have never heard a reasoned argument against their actual music (this is not to say that one could not be made).
HOUSTON_M

Postby rocker654 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:58 pm

In a class with John Coltrane and Miles to be on the box while smoking alcupulco gold and drinking gin martinis to at 2am on a Friday night. Smooth and mellow good times.

I, sadly, have not done that very thing in awhile. :cry:

Aja is a fine album in my estimation. Maybe because it was a high school favorite.

NOT CRAP.
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap