Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Steely Dan

CRAP
39%
NOT CRAP
61%

Total votes : 236

Postby ironyengine on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:00 pm

bumble wrote:p.s., kerble can bite me. I hate Steely Dan. I do not see what is so appealing about creepily smooth incestuous weasel raping music.

The girls don't seem to care
what's on
as long as it plays 'til dawn
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:08 pm

rocker654 wrote:In a class with John Coltrane and Miles to be on the box while smoking alcupulco gold and drinking gin martinis to at 2am on a Friday night. Smooth and mellow good times.

If I wasn't straight edge already . . .
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Band: Steely Dan

Postby Yngwie Einstein on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Total shite. And pathetic too. They seem to have their underwear in a bunch over a stupid movie. This from AP:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Owen Wilson has denied any connection between his new movie, "You, Me and Dupree," and '70s supergroup Steely Dan, a spokesman for the actor said Friday.

The band recently posted a letter on its Web site claiming (somewhat impishly) that Wilson's Dupree character was based on their Grammy-winning song, "Cousin Dupree," about a couch-hopping houseguest.

In a statement released by his spokeswoman, Ina Treciokas, Wilson said: "I have never heard the song 'Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, 'HEY 19.' "

Larry Solters, a spokesman for the band's management company, did not immediately return a call for comment.

Steely Dan released a string of hits in the '70s, including "Hey Nineteen," "Reeling in the Years" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."

"There are some pretty heavy people who are upset about this whole thing and we can't guarantee what kind of heat little Owen may be bringing down on himself," band leaders Walter Becker and Donald Fagen wrote in the letter.

The band asked Wilson, 37, to appear at a concert to apologize to their fans.

Lite jazz + no sense of humor = total crap.

What a pathetic plea to remain relevant. [/list]
Yngwie Einstein
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Re: Band: Steely Dan

Postby kerble on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 pm

re: You me and Dupree.

Yngwie Einstein wrote:no sense of humor

obviously your humor is impaired, not theirs. did you see the link HG-M posted from their site? no. that letter to Luke was fucking hilarious!

Open Letter to the Great Comic Actor Luke Wilson

read it to the last paragraph and tell me that's not funny.

bzzzt! you lose. try again.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: Band: Steely Dan

Postby kerble on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:28 pm

You even missed the humour in the article you linked.

Yngwie Einstein wrote:Total shite. And pathetic too. They seem to have their underwear in a bunch over a stupid movie. This from AP:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Owen Wilson has denied any connection between his new movie, "You, Me and Dupree," and '70s supergroup Steely Dan, a spokesman for the actor said Friday.

The band recently posted a letter on its Web site claiming (somewhat impishly) that Wilson's Dupree character was based on their Grammy-winning song, "Cousin Dupree," about a couch-hopping houseguest.

In a statement released by his spokeswoman, Ina Treciokas, Wilson said: "I have never heard the song 'Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, 'HEY 19.' THIS IS A STEELY DAN SONG...SEE HE'S IN ON THE JOKE."

Larry Solters, a spokesman for the band's management company, did not immediately return a call for comment.

Steely Dan released a string of hits in the '70s, including "Hey Nineteen," "Reeling in the Years" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."

"There are some pretty heavy people who are upset about this whole thing and we can't guarantee what kind of heat little Owen may be bringing down on himself," band leaders Walter Becker and Donald Fagen wrote in the letter.

The band asked Wilson, 37, to appear at a concert to apologize to their fans.

What a pathetic plea to remain relevant. [/list]

if

you're halfway to total crap.

haha. joke's on you.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:23 pm

Any major dude will tell you that Steely Dan is crap. I'm never gonna do it--not even with a Faiz on!
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby motorbike guy on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:35 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:I can understand why people dislike them but have never heard a reasoned argument against their actual music (this is not to say that one could not be made).

what do you need beyond "i do not like it"?

they could be called Todd Trainer's Foreskin and sing about hermaphrodites with large breasts -- if it's yacht rock, it does not turn my crank!
motorbike guy

Postby Redline on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Is this as long as the Zappa thread yet?

For a long time when I was a senior in high school, my two favorite records were Pink Flag by Wire and Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan.

Tonight I was at an art showing, and some fellow old punk rockers happened to be in the room at the same time. One admitted to (recently) acquiring a Steely Dan box set and discovering how great the band was.

I thought of this thread, then went to bed. Free wine past my bedtime.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby galanter on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 pm

If Steely Dan opened a studio they would call it Electrical Anal.
galanter
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Mr P on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:01 am

CRAP

Their humor annoys me.

I would be alot more tolerant of Steely Dan if I didn't hear it every time I walk into a Hifi store, or watch someone else setup a PA.

Speaking of which, the sound op on a crew I was working with once, used a Suzanne Vega track. It was solo voice and maybe 8 minutes long. It was excellent for that sort of critical listening. Anyone able to tell me what this song might be, or what album at least?
Mr P
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:23 am

A guitar teacher who gave me lessons said he divided bands into “colour or black 'n white”: I knew what he meant even without the examples he gave.

By this, admittedly rather impressionistic, criterion I would consider Steely Dan’s music to be anything but monochrome; this is due to their harmonic colouring, melodic contour and the achieved tonality of the instrumentation.

Like and dislike are not going to be altered by argument regarding Steely Dan.

I won’t make the “gateway band” argument that, via quotations from and tributes to, respectively, Horace Silver and Duke Ellington, I developed an appreciation for jazz.

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker gave many session musicians a disciplined outlet for their playing; both eccentricity and confidence comes through from these studio cats.

In their presentation of themselves they were indeed sleazy, they ran parallel to unflattering stereotypes:

Donald Fagen as a combination of the PC game character Leisure Suit Larry and Danny DeVito in “Twins” playing passing chords on an electric piano while smarmily enunciating “clever” lyrics in a clenched croon.

Walter Becker both envying and despising the idiot savant guitar players he procured for the sessions, an obsessive guitar collector who would buy a guitar solo rather than play one, smirking behind the scenes, Fagen’s less visible, less accountable partner in crime.

One man’s clinical, commercial music infused with the worst kind of “sophistication”
is another man’s soulful urbanity expressed in concise compositions with sustained melodies.

For instance, I don’t “get” Frank Sinatra: I can appreciate the almost literary, poetic phrasing of the man but I don’t like the sound of his voice and I don’t find anything instrumentally compelling in these interpretations of “classics” from “the golden age of songwriting”.
Last edited by HOUSTON_M on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Redline on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:34 am

Mr P wrote:
Speaking of which, the sound op on a crew I was working with once, used a Suzanne Vega track. It was solo voice and maybe 8 minutes long. It was excellent for that sort of critical listening. Anyone able to tell me what this song might be, or what album at least?

Tom's Diner? I don't think it's 8 minutes long, though. I guess it could seem as if it was eight minutes long.

The punk rock guy at the party that had the Steely Dan box set was a big Suzanne Vega fan back in the day, I'll ask him.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby ubercat on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:12 am

Any band who breaks up because they hate thier audience is awesome in my
book. Deacon Blues - prolly one of the few t40 songs I can listen to.

Not crap.
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Mose Varty-Seppanen on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:42 pm

Redline wrote:For a long time when I was a senior in high school, my two favorite records were Pink Flag by Wire and Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan.

That's so cool. I'm so enjoying imagining this scenario. I can totally relate to it. I love Steely Dan And Pink Flag too.

Not Crap.
Mose Varty-Seppanen
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby beloveless on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:37 pm

steely dan fucking rules. No discussion needed. The tunes are totally groovy yet dark and somehow keep you on your toes everytime . The recordings are perfect. The performances are admirable. One of my absolutely favorite bands. I love that shit.
beloveless
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Daffodil Column on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:51 pm

I dig the original band, w/David Palmer
Daffodil Column
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Postby trilonaut on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm

the royal scam is a masterpiece. every album up through aja has at least one great song on it. these guys rule.

gaucho is a little bit of a stretch but hey nineteen is pretty fun (and my girlfriend looooves it) and babylon sisters has that funny drowsy intro. in a way this album is a crime against humanity, particularly for the trail it paved for much garbage, but what's done is done.

i met walter becker at a whole foods in new york and it was a great moment in fanboyism. i wish i had a photo (my girlfriend had a camera with her) but that might have been pushing it.
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby holmes on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:06 am

i like them. ive got the best of thing on vinyl. lots of good stuff.

THEY ARE NAMED AFTER A DILDO.

which makes them even better

sorry for the capitals.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby madlee on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:30 am

holmes wrote:
THEY ARE NAMED AFTER A DILDO.

a literary dildo at that. they are so smaht.

don't understand how they can be seen as the gateway band to jazz appreciation. you could say the same about the chicago transit authority.

Deacon Blues is a great song. Sounds good on vinyl too. makes it feel like it's the 70's and everything is going to be okay.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby galanter on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:40 am

Does it still take them 14 weeks to record the cowbell part?
galanter

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap