?

CRAP
50%
NOT CRAP
50%

Total votes : 6

Product: Chromebook

Postby i am the smud on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I've been using one since January and it hasn't given me any problems. Admittedly, I don't use my computer for anything terribly complicated, mainly as a word-processor/entertainment box. I don't see this being at all useful for coders, and I don't think you can really download torrents with it.

But hey, it works for me
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Re: Product: Chromebook

Postby Tom on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Pfft... you're just giving into the marketing and it's too complicated to use, and it just works, And you paid too little\much for it. And you're a fanboi.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Big John on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:22 pm

This is a great product for a big chunk of the population.

Have not run into anyone who is using one so can I ask some questions? Does it have to be on wireless all the time to operate? Does it cost a lot service wise? How much do they cost? Are you satisfied with the way the keyboard feels and screen?

It seems like a reimagining of the Terminal computers of old for the 21st century but that is great for folks who are just doing your normal life/work stuff.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:04 pm

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3121_7-575 ... work-done/

Google drive docs are available offline. I would imagine that Dropbox files are, too, though I could be wrong about that.

The look and feel of the screen and keyboard are very Macbook Air-like, for about $900 less.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Alayne on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Just got a Samsung Chromebook last week. I wanted something portable, cheap, and simple, and this seemed to serve the purpose. All was good until I plugged in my headphones and found that sound only came out of the left channel. I tested multiple headphones and sound sources, all the same. The laptop speakers play out of both channels. I searched Google, and some people have experienced this issue, but it was due to the jack being too tight, with time it loosened up for them. One week later, this doesn't seem to be the case for me.
Anyone else experienced this? Not a good first impression, I guess I'll have to return it. I know they use cheap hardware for these $250 things, but c'mon, what a small but extremely annoying, shitty problem to rain on my affordable laptop parade.
Alayne
dr. j
dr. j

Postby i am the smud on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:53 am

Big John wrote:Does it have to be on wireless all the time to operate? Does it cost a lot service wise? How much do they cost? Are you satisfied with the way the keyboard feels and screen?

ringo answered your first question (thanks ringo, I didn't know that myself).

I'm not sure about service costs; I should look into that.

Mine cost ~300 dollars. My model has 250 gbs of storage on it. You can get higher end chromebooks, but I couldn't really tell you what you'd be paying for.

The keyboard might take a little getting used to, it's thin and there isn't a lot of 'give'. But it's not something that I ever really think about, and I write quite a bit. The screen is serviceable, won't blow you away or anything. Again, I think it all depends on what you use your computer for. If you're doing color correcting - I don't think you'd be using a chromebook for that anyway - it might not be your first choice.

Hopefully some of that helped!
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud

Postby John C6 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:05 pm

For not a lot more money you can get something that you don't have to rely on Google for everything you want to do on it, doesn't rely on cloud memory unless you want it to and can take a writeable disk, etc. Keep the hardware and software distinct entities, is my view. Handy size is all, but so are plenty of little notebooky things. I vote crap.
John C6
mother superior
mother superior

Postby Bloodjet on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Alayne wrote:Just got a Samsung Chromebook last week. I wanted something portable, cheap, and simple, and this seemed to serve the purpose. All was good until I plugged in my headphones and found that sound only came out of the left channel. I tested multiple headphones and sound sources, all the same. The laptop speakers play out of both channels. I searched Google, and some people have experienced this issue, but it was due to the jack being too tight, with time it loosened up for them. One week later, this doesn't seem to be the case for me.

I had this problem the very first time I plugged in my headphones. I realized in in about a minute that I wasn't shoving the plug in far in enough. It's worked fine since then.

I dig the lappy for what it is. The video playback is OK, not perfect. I use google docs for work all the time so this guy is pretty handy.

The best is that it has a really long battery life (like 5-6 hours even with video) and it doesn't get very hot. It's really light, too.

Not a perfect device but for the price it does the trick just fine. Not crap.
Bloodjet
franklin ajaye
franklin ajaye

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:09 pm

HP rep dropped a Chromebook off in my office for evaluation as a tool for students. I'm kinda digging this thing. I've been using google drive since I changed jobs and I work at a bunch of different machines at work. Using GMail and Drive and Play and all seems fine. I still have a workstation with Premiere and Photoshop on it, but I don't have to carry that thing around with me.

This thing retails for apparently $199 or something. Pretty kickass.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby a leg plaster on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Love mine. Keyboard, track pad and sturdiness were all things I fell for instantly when I got it as a present in 2013. I have the Samsung model. Haven't used it since March when our our old place was burgled and those darn hoodlums stole the power cord among the many things taken, but I'll get another one sooner or later and continue loving it. Recommended for the tablet hating people who might benefit from something like a tablet, who also generally enjoy Google features.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby noise&light on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Looking for an affordable computer solution for my senior citizen father who only really uses it to watch YouTube videos. He will occasionally read email, but having never once received a response to years of email messages that I've sent him, this may be a moot point. His other computer needs include:
Looking up directions via a map app or website
Online banking
Light word processing

This might be it!

I thought that a Chromebook would be ideal but haven't looked into them in a couple years. Do they hold up? Let me know, people!
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby bishopdante on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:06 pm

^ no doubt ideal for light / non-technical users (although so is an iPad or Android tablet).

However, seriously not recommended for anybody politically active.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... hromebook/

a cloud-tethered notebook that can keep its owner connected over Wi-Fi and broadband all day long—in some cases for less than the price of a shiny new Apple iPhone—is going to be awfully appealing to many.

And without a doubt, no one will be happier than the National Security Agency (NSA) and law enforcement.

the revelations about the NSA and FBI's PRISM program have added new doubts, particularly outside the US, about the wisdom of putting everything in Google's (or any other cloud provider's) basket.

Furthermore, the Chromebook is everything a government watchman could want—even without Google Apps data and Gmail, it could give those with network monitoring capabilities a way to pinpoint the location of a credential-holder via 4G wireless (thanks, Verizon).

If recent revelations from Brazil are correct, Chromebook plus a government-forged Google certificate equals a man-in-the-middle attack against the SSL security of Google's services—and a way for the government to read all of your e-mails and documents as they pass back and forth through an Internet chokepoint to and from your browser.

None of this is necessarily Google's fault. But it's a weakness of the browser as platform—by pushing nearly all the computing resources for applications, besides presentation, back up into the cloud, the Chromebook model creates a one-stop shop for attackers or observers to inject themselves into your computing world. As the Syrian Electronic Army has proven, it doesn't take the power of the NSA to breach a cloud-based infrastructure—just one bad click on a link and users can give over the keys to their entire digital lives.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby Bill Flaig on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 pm

I've been Chromebook-only (as a general use computer) for the last couple years and they're great, depending on the hardware. Mine's a Toshiba with a half decent processor and 4GB of RAM. Highly recommended to go with more RAM if you'll have more than a few tabs open at a time.

This Toshiba has a really nice 1080p screen, good battery life, and is small enough to be fairly portable.

There's also a pretty nice SSH client if you need to connect to another system with more horsepower to do something that the Chromebook can't do.

No Windows or macOS PC's in this house and I couldn't be happier. Of course I've still got a bunch of Linux VMs for other stuff, but the Chromebook does pretty much anything I want it to do.
RSMurphy wrote:I don't believe in God, but I do believe in gospel music.

beards of luxury
Bill Flaig
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby noise&light on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am

This is all very useful info. Thanks for the help!
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby motorbike guy on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 am

My kids (8th grade and HS Sophmore) have school-issued chromebooks. They use them for everything. they are pretty much always connected to wifi at home or at school. their teachers require everything to be submitted online, all lessons, homework and reading assignments are also online. works pretty well except when one of the older teachers fails to get with the program and does not keep his or her website updated.

its kind of amazing, frankly. they don't have any school books anymore, just a very thin and light laptop.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby bishopdante on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 pm

motorbike guy wrote:My kids (8th grade and HS Sophmore) have school-issued chromebooks. They use them for everything. they are pretty much always connected to wifi at home or at school. their teachers require everything to be submitted online, all lessons, homework and reading assignments are also online. works pretty well except when one of the older teachers fails to get with the program and does not keep his or her website updated.

its kind of amazing, frankly. they don't have any school books anymore, just a very thin and light laptop.

I'm a total believer in the use of computers, and education has been slow to recognise their utility... but I'm not sure that I agree with replacing everything with a cloud based laptop.

#1: LED backlit screens are horrible to read off, they're low res, they're bright rather than reflective, they emit UV light... IMO screens are good for video but mediocre to crap for reading. Making interactive video game type environments for learning would make plenty sense, as would being able to watch back the lessons as video files.

#2: the idea of the teacher rationing out the course piecemeal rather than giving people a full subject or course as a reference volume seems toxic, and would encourage students to work like performing seals rather than learning in a self-directed fashion. (schools are already designed around the obedience-training model, having their roots in military academies and industrial vocational training).

#3: relying on a web browser and internet connectivity is asking for trouble, and kids will find the ever-present pull of snapchat/instagram/etc distracting, even if the web is "child-locked" and restricted to school content.

#4: keyboard and mouse interfaces give people RSI. Giving kids a hazardous tool, and not training them how to use them safely is building future habits which will lead to injuries.

#5: you can annotate a textbook, whereas digital content is often read-only.

#6: laptops run out of batteries pretty fast, and if you lose your charger you're in trouble.

#7 the "old" model is to have one device for reading (textbook), and the other device for writing (notebook), and turning this into a single device makes the process serial rather than parallel.

It'd be better IMO to replace textbooks with a 300dpi ePaper tablet with a touchscreen/pen interface, which is preloaded with a whole bunch of textbook/reference material stored in it, in addition to a multimedia laptop/notebook thing.

There is also nothing terribly wrong with a real book. They never need recharging.

When working on a book... the computer version of it is much harder to work with than a paper copy, and I insist on marking up hard copy rather than working off a screen.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby Facundo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:55 pm

C R A P

Keyboard plus monitor wifi device for the price of a regular laptop (or more)... and then I will need again and more than ever a hard drive to keep "my documents" in my land, and the security fucking bill gates recycle bin guarantee of erasure. Oh wait... well, I only want my documents at my land because the clouds are not my business.
I live happier in this future by that miracle
Facundo
tired of birds
tired of birds

Return to Crap / Not Crap