R.E.M.?

Crap
32%
Not Crap
68%

Total votes : 225

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby ErikG on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:48 pm

M.H wrote: And there is nothing - nothing - rocking about R.E.M. At all. Ever.

I say!

I bet you don't care for The Smiths either. *snort*
ErikG
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Postby hellholiday on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:25 am

R.E.M. was a dance band first and foremost. Especially the IRS years.
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Big John on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm

I think looking back on them they seem different than they were at the time. In the present world had had more of an profound effect on alt country music than rock.

They were fun and came from a different bunch of influences than most bands back then, clean guitar sounds and such. Not so much a rock thing which I enjoy more but something that was heartfelt to them and not some kind of produced formula so a not crap from me.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mason on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:44 pm

M.H wrote:And there is nothing - nothing - rocking about R.E.M. At all. Ever.

I read in an interview—someone who recorded with them early on, I guess it'd be Mitch Easter but that doesn't seem right—that REM were resolutely opposed to letting their amps distort. The engineer or someone would turn the amps up to the edge of breakup, and REM would bat their hands away and turn the amps back down. Eventually they turned up a little or whatever, but capital-R rock was not at all their scene, so that makes for a bad criterion.

REM doesn't rock; the B-52s aren't heavy; I can't dance to these Eleh records; I can't drive my oven to work. This is all fine.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby ErikG on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Mason wrote:
REM doesn't rock; the B-52s aren't heavy; I can't dance to these Eleh records; I can't drive my oven to work. This is all fine.

These are good points. But R.E.M. could rock. Did no one watch the video I linked to several posts back?

Peter Buck spins, kicks and jumps. These are great Rock Moves.

Also plenty of songs Rock with clean guitar tones, and many distorty guitar songs do not Rock.

I hope I don't come across as some sort of R.E.M apologist. That's not how I planned to spend my time today.

(edited to capitalize 'rock' in the second half of the third sentence to match the capitalized 'Rock' in the first half. Apologies all around.)
ErikG
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Postby geiginni on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm

One of the things I liked best about this band when I listened to them in the 80s was the dedication to clean guitar amp tones.

I've always hated distorted guitar. It's the lazy man's solution to choosing an instrument with crappy sustain and coupling it to their own lack of technique in getting the instrument to put out a consistent sound and tone. Rock musicians are too often completely unimaginative with respect to tone, passing a nice sine wave through a shitbox meant to cause a square wave to come out -either through power supply saturation or gain device breakup. Wholly tired.

I like sine waves - fundamentals and harmonics. Fuck your square and sawtooth wave-music.
geiginni

Postby Mason on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:59 pm

ErikG wrote:Also plenty of songs Rock with clean guitar tones, and many distorty guitar songs do not Rock.

For sure. REM were a rock band, of course—using rock instrumentation, operating in the tradition of rock music. Not surprising they eventually used a drive pedal or something. But they weren't doing rock & roll, or whatever you'd call derivatives of rock & roll if that term has a cutoff point.

I don't know. Idioms are fucked up.

geiginni wrote:Fuck your square and sawtooth wave-music.

Why leave anything off the table?

I 100% appreciate where you're coming from, and I think yours is a good post, but that's also like the ur-Yells At Cloud take. Kind of astonishing. Well done.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason

Postby numberthirty on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Mason wrote:
geiginni wrote:Fuck your square and sawtooth wave-music.

Why leave anything off the table?

I 100% appreciate where you're coming from, and I think yours is a good post, but that's also like the ur-Yells At Cloud take. Kind of astonishing. Well done.

If you dig the little Crayola box? Fine.

I like that big one and every color in it(except for mabye "Skin" colors).
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby seanurban on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 pm

just saw this one.
left to right: Cyndy Stipe, Lynda Stipe, Laura Levine, Michael Stipe, Matthew Sweet, Linda Hopper, Bill Berry, Chris Slay.
seanurban
King High

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:42 pm

It's the lazy man's solution to choosing an instrument with crappy sustain and coupling it to their own lack of technique in getting the instrument to put out a consistent sound and tone.

Except when it's not.

I like sine waves - fundamentals and harmonics. Fuck your square and sawtooth wave-music.

And what does a sine wave turn into when you start stacking harmonics on top of the fundamental?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby geiginni on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
It's the lazy man's solution to choosing an instrument with crappy sustain and coupling it to their own lack of technique in getting the instrument to put out a consistent sound and tone.

Except when it's not.

And what does a sine wave turn into when you start stacking harmonics on top of the fundamental?

Good point. Just had to fulfill my role of justifying REM by being the old man shaking his fist at the cloud though.

Still prefer the sound of a guitar without any gobbledygook on it.
geiginni

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Can't let those damn clouds get complacent after all.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Adam Sr on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:04 am

Old unhappy people shaking fists.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap