Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

R.E.M.?

Crap
32%
Not Crap
68%

Total votes : 225

Postby HOUSTON_M on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm

If you want to convince yourself that REM could make music which could be readily classified as "college bound crap", listen to "Shaking Through" off Murmur. It should do the job.

It's as vapid and banal a song as they ever produced.

They were my favourite band in the world in 1989 / 1990.

I honestly don't know how to vote;my head says crap, my heart says not.
HOUSTON_M

Postby mr.arrison on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:56 am

REM for me are a band that should have broken up a long long time ago. They have diluted themselves now to the point they are going to go down in history as being about as relevant as Sting.

I like that they promoted Pylon a great deal. Pylon was a great great band.

They had good songs and some near perfect albums up until Document. The rest of the discography is pretty much crap with one or two decent songs thrown in.

big_dave wrote:
R.E.M. are the only band in history where each record is worse than the previous. The past two albums are fucking hideous by anyone's standards.

I am not a huge fan, but I think Document is tons better than the two records that came before it. There's not a song as urgent, angular and as dark as "Oddfellows Local 151" on the Fables or Life's Rich Pageant.

I also don't think that Reckoning is arguably that much suckier than Murmur. I enjoy listening to either album pretty much equally. Murmur has clunkers- it is far from perfect. The electro-acoustic numbers hurt me. Just because Reckoning came after Murmur doesn't make those clunkers on Murmur any better. Don't Go Back to Rockville is a dumb song on Reckoning. I hate the fake country mamby piano songs the most.

Fables is quite possibly the most dour of the early REMs. Not a great album by a long shot.

Chronic Town is perfect. Document is good. Reckoning and Murmur are good. Life's Rich Pageant is merely OK.

Maybe the best thing about REM and 1985 is that REM chose the Minutemen to open for them on a US tour.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:36 am

i think ive listened to " i believe" about thirty times tonight. i really love that fucking song. especially when im sick, which i currently am.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby rocker654 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:16 am

I loved their first Hibtone single, and they were the underground critics darling in 1981 (NY Rocker, Sweet Potato).

They have taken a downward spiral since then. As the kids say "Jes' Sayin'".
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Dudley on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:A Yahoo! image search using the term "Michael Stipe" produces this photograph as the thirteenth-ranked result.

That's right. Now face west, motherfucker.

For some reason when I first saw this it made me laugh like a drain for about five minutes. I have since heard "Stand" and I suspect

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
That's right. Now face west, motherfucker.

will forever be my response to it.
Dudley
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby GoldenGoneDays on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 pm

how can anyone call crap to the band that recorder MURMUR and defined alt rock in the early early eighties
GoldenGoneDays
president
president

Postby Richard on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:33 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote: Now face west, motherfucker.

Happy 47th To Michael Stipe tomorrow
Richard
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:16 pm

GoldenGoneDays wrote:how can anyone call crap to the band that recorder MURMUR and defined alt rock in the early early eighties

Like this: crap.

Any questions?
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby coceng on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:44 am

Both their 'best of' compilations are enough to know about this band.
One thing I hate about REM is seeing Michael Stipe & his fucking face !
MY MUSIC PLAYER
....& cocend is BOOMBATS !
coceng
phil ivey
phil ivey

Location: DOG FUCKING LEE; WxCx, PA; reading, chin resting on elbow

Postby Flaneur on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:49 am

Low points: Monster was the first record of theirs to sound like it was derivative of newer popular bands, and then the "Lotus" song on Up was a sad ripoff of Beck's "Where It's At" (really, listen to it) - sad because it was REM ripping off Beck.

My friends' favorite band in high school, in the mid/late-80s, was REM, and I never minded them but never got them, either, other than "Superman" on a mixtape. And late one night, probably in 1988 or 1989, I heard an acoustic version of "The One I Love" that was pretty extrordinary.

Automatic For The People, though: I could end up buying that one for a full-day drive somewhere.
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Antero on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:16 am

REM became really shitty.

Their early stuff, however, is so great that I pretend their career just stopped in the late 80s.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:10 am

tommydski wrote:one of my favourite bands. until bill berry left that is.
so, for historical purposes i will rank! the REM catalogue that i have heard.

automatic for the people
document
life's rich pageant
reckoning
murmur
out of time
chronic town
monster
green

the rest all sounds a bit over-produced to me.

funny, to me "new adventures in hi-fi" (my favourite REM album) sounds anything but over-produced, however "automatic" has a bit of this vibe. plus, some songs on it scream for bigger, more rocking (warm and punchy) drum sound.
i like about everything they recorded before the year 2000, including "up".
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Dudley on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:38 am

emmanuelle cunt wrote:i like about everything they recorded before the year 2000, including "up".

This doesnt include "Losing My Religion", does it? Surely everyone cops a surge of nausea and feels their genitals shrivel as the first wave of mandolin and who's-a-brave-little-soldier moaning about "life being bigger" hits?
Dudley

Postby Infidelity on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:09 am

"new adventures in hi-fi" is incredible.
Infidelity
convert
convert

Postby Mazec on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 pm

mr.arrison wrote:
I like that they promoted Pylon a great deal. Pylon was a great great band.

Glad to hear some props for Pylon. I'm a big fan of theirs and often wish they received more recognition. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that if it weren't for REM dropping their name from time to time, absolutely nobody would be aware of them today.
Mazec

Postby ubercat on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:19 pm

steve wrote:REM has been very supportive of Athens, Georgia, it's arts community and its music scene. They are true fans and genuine guys. I respect them.

So much so that they'll (PB) refuse to pay a guarantee if it tickles their fancy. I played the 40 watt once and only once (because they refused to pay us). The management gave the entire door to the local band that warmed up for us. No reason given, and we filled the place. End of the tour and tight as hell too. If someone died or broke their neck and needed the cash we wouldn't have batted an eye....

In my universe, there seems to be a lot of hate for bands from NYC.

However, they were a good band, and the Murmur and Chronic Town (and for the most part Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables...) are solid records.

NC :WF: 5
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby steve on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:44 pm

ubercat wrote:
steve wrote:REM has been very supportive of Athens, Georgia, it's arts community and its music scene. They are true fans and genuine guys. I respect them.

So much so that they'll (PB) refuse to pay a guarantee if it tickles their fancy. I played the 40 watt once and only once (because they refused to pay us). The management gave the entire door to the local band that warmed up for us. No reason given, and we filled the place. End of the tour and tight as hell too. If someone died or broke their neck and needed the cash we wouldn't have batted an eye....

This sounds weird. What happened? Did you fuck the place up? Before they didn't pay you or after? There's got to be more to this than "they stole our money."

Well, yeah. They're mostly horrible and mostly assholes.

However, they were a good band, and the Murmur and Chronic Town (and for the most part Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables...) are solid records.

This is the part I'll never understand: Actually liking this milktoast crap.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:08 pm

so i read this thread. and you should too, there's a whole bunch of great and smart posts here.

thiis is a very important band for me, from various reasons. my dad liked and listened them a lot. it was the first still functioning band i was a fan of. "monster" was a first records of theirs i bought when it was released, i remember this moment and the thrill very well (i was about 12). along with U2, rem got me through primary and first half of high school. and unlike almost all of you, i was exposed to 90's REM first as their early records were available only on cd's which were absolutely unaffordable for a common folk, not to mention a kid, back then (cassettes were 4 times cheaper). so those are the early REM records for me, as by the time i got to hear their trulely early records i wasn't crazy about them anymore. from that era, i liked "document" best (which isn't that much of an early REM, i know)
so what i guess what i'm trying to say is their music is almost like a part of me so i can't really look at them with any dose of objectivism.
but i listened to "new adventures.." recently, and it is a great, great record. i listened to it so many times but i never bothered to look at cover to look at song titles, they seemed to flow so perfeclty one after another that titles weren't needed.
if "be mine" is the song with stipe repeating "you and me" towards the end then i agree, it's REM at their best. but it's incredbily even record. i will dig up my walkman and listen to it now.

not crap.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby ubercat on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:50 pm

steve wrote:
ubercat wrote:

This sounds weird. What happened? Did you fuck the place up? Before they didn't pay you or after? There's got to be more to this than "they stole our money."

Well, yeah. They're mostly horrible and mostly assholes.

This is the part I'll never understand: Actually liking this milktoast crap.

Nope - we did the show (and we killed if I do say so myself), and packed up like we usually do. No reason what-so-ever was given other then they payed the opening band the entire door.

And I didn't say they stole our money. I said they didn't pay the guarantee. We didn't fuck the place up. We're actually half-way decent guys.

And as far as milk-toast - something's got to settle yer stomach. Call the like of these two-and-a-half records a guilty pleasure of youth (when my taste was in question). These records probably constitute the entire Jangle Rock section of my collection.
ubercat

Postby rocker654 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:42 pm

I think the best things they've done were the first Hibtone single (Radio Free Europe/Sitting Still--far superior to the Murmur versions) and Chronic Town. I saw them on Thanksgiving in 81 at the 7th Street Entry (Zom, were you there?), and there were very few people there because there was a snowstorm. They killed.

I saw them about a year later, opening for the fantastic Raybeats, and they seemed so nervous being on a big stage (First Avenue Mainroom). But they were good.

I have had no inclination to see them since. I think I got the best of them.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap