Better Call Saul

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 62

Re: TV Show: Better Call Saul

Postby Redline on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:40 am

I think Jimmy turned into Saul when he threw his briefcase against the wall.

It was like the demon entering Father Karris in The Exorcist.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby amar on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:22 pm

A couple thoughts about the last episode:

1. Love love the casting choice for Lalo. Even though he will face defeat to Gus, he’s going to make Gus sweat.

2. I was actually hoping that the dialogue between Kim and Jimmy would address Jimmy’s emotional pain (not being loved by his brother). It was convincing that Jimmy was angry, but Kim has been confused by Jimmy’s lack of emotion and this was the opportunity to pull off the scab.
amar
pauly shore
pauly shore

Postby m3kcomp on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm happy the Werner storyline went a direction I didn't expect and hasn't been thought of here. I felt like they were just telegraphing that Mike would need to kill him. Now we know he needs to kill him but at least it's interesting...wonder if they drag that into next season?

I thought all kinds of things were going on with Werner but never thought he'd try to escape.

And yeah, the guy playing Lalo is great. Really nice interplay with characters we know well already.
m3kcomp
party clown
party clown

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:21 am

Bernardo wrote:Not really buying the theories above. The writers of this show are good enough to avoid both telegraphing things ahead of time AND being gratuitously random.

It might be a double bluff/ misdirection. Or maybe its just supposed to be generally symbolic of the growing distance between them- Mesa Verde is the straight, corporate life- something that Jimmy constantly convinces himself he wants. But where is he happiest? Running scams/ being Saul Goodman. Same with Kim.

According to the (ahem) Breaking Bad wiki- Green relates to: Greed, money, growth, envy.
Of course, that's open to interpretation, is by no means definitive, and this isn't Breaking Bad, but an intentional and very considered language of colour symbolism has been established.

At any rate, there is no way a colour reference as obvious as that is unintentional.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Anonymous37 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:04 am

So I might be oh for two on my predictions, but now I'm still thinking that I might be right about one of the two (Mesa Verde being the fictionalized version of HSBC).

Here is an actual lawyer grading the first episode of Better Call Saul. Enjoy:

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG29zeyWn58 [/youtube]
Anonymous37
secretary of the interior

Postby Anonymous37 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 am

Goddamn it, can someone post how to embed YouTube videos and pin it so we don't all look like assholes?

Unless, of course, Steve and his Electrical Audio like making us look like assholes. I wouldn't begrudge them their entertainment.
Anonymous37

Postby Sprague Dawley on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am

part i dont get is with the germans. There's no way Gus would risk letting any of them live when they all know where his shady operation is.

SURELY they realise that theyre working for hyper secretive uber-baddies and as such the minute the job is done blam, blam, blam, in a shallow unmarked grave out the back they go. That includes Dumbo and Columbo snoozing in the camera monitors shed. Good as dead.
Sprague Dawley
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby m3kcomp on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:07 am

Sprague Dawley wrote:part i dont get is with the germans. There's no way Gus would risk letting any of them live when they all know where his shady operation is.

SURELY they realise that theyre working for hyper secretive uber-baddies and as such the minute the job is done blam, blam, blam, in a shallow unmarked grave out the back they go. That includes Dumbo and Columbo snoozing in the camera monitors shed. Good as dead.

I feel like Gus has a code that's a lot different than, say, Walter. If it's Walter, they die if he decides they're in the way. I feel like Gus took all these precautions out of respect for the kind of work these guys can provide. There would be no reason to do half of the shit he's done if he was going to kill them for sure. I think they end up getting killed, at least Werner and Kai, but I don't believe it's forgone conclusion.

They don't know where his shady operation is, btw.
m3kcomp
party clown
party clown

Postby Bernardo on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I think Kai was just a red herring.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Redline on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 am

I think I'm going to miss watching Better Call Saul until it starts up again...That was great. "You'll be cutting corners..."
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Bernardo on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 pm

It was one of those season endings, like the end of Deadwood season three, that, were they to cancel the show now, it'd feel complete already. Mike's arc is the better one IMO, his scenario is more plausible than Jimmy's, in that all the characters make more sense.

The one thing I don't buy is Kim staying loyal after all the shit Jimmy pulls off. If THIS was not the cutoff point then it'll be really crazy, but I don't see how this ship hasn't sailed long ago.
Last edited by Bernardo on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bernardo

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Bernardo wrote:The one thing I don't buy is Kim staying loyal after all the shit Jimmy pulls off. If THIS was not the cutoff point then it'll be really crazy, but I don't see how this ship hasn't sailed long ago.

I think it was the cutoff point.

Love Lalo. Feel bad for that kid, though.
m3kcomp
party clown
party clown

Postby atomjackfuser on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Bernardo wrote:Mike's arc is the better one IMO, his scenario is more plausible than Jimmy's, in that all the characters make more sense.

Mike and Gus' story is the one I feel is more interesting. Prolly there are folks who feel the opposite, so there you go.

m3kcomp wrote: Love Lalo. Feel bad for that kid, though.

The Gus/Lalo showdown looks like an ole barn burner.
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:48 am

So Lalo and Nacho are still going concerns around the time Saul is introduced in BB. I wonder how much this will overlap with BB- I hope it does that, weave some things around the plot of Breaking Bad, rather than stopping dead on Walter and Jesse walking into his office or some shit.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Ike on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 am

Holy shit, that was a bleak, great last episode. Brutal.
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby tbone on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Man I love this show.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dave N. on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:23 pm

Finally saw the season finale. Brilliant! It took four seasons to get to that moment, on a slow burn. I love the pacing, but I wonder if it's an avalanche, after this.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap