63%
Sexy: Finally my very particular tastes have been catered for
20%
Eurgh: I went for naked celebs and got harrowing alienation
10%

Total votes : 30

Re: ScarJo Species Reboot: Under the Skin

Postby givemenoughrope on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:36 pm

I actually saw it with the live score last month and it was just ok. kinda boring actually with some really arresting scenes sprinkled here and there. Music didn't really do it for me like I thought or the first time i saw it.

still not crap though I have no idea what it's about...
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby ::: on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Finally saw this a few weeks ago and found it excellent, somewhat to my surprise. Yeah, it's got slow stretches, but they didn't bother me; those longueurs made the weirder/more disturbing bits stand out by contrast, added context, and gave me time to ponder their significance and let them sink in before the next one. The cinematography was beautiful, as were the special effects, which were minimal but extremely well done. I did find this movie mystifying in several respects, and kept making conjectures about ambiguous plot points, but I was OK with that; it added to the overall effects of unease and disorientation.

I don't think I've seen any movies with Scarlett Johannsen in them since Ghost World (in which she was great) aeons ago, but she did a good job with a difficult role in this one.

I honestly do not remember the soundtrack at all! I plan to rewatch it soon, and will pay attention to the audio next time.

I liked Sexy Beast, an earlier movie from this director, when I saw it in a theater 12 or so years ago, and it held up on a second viewing circa 2013. It's a British gangster movie, very different from this one stylistically, and though it's not perfect it's original and well-executed.

ETA: It has been pointed out that Under the Skin's premise sounds an awful lot like that of Liquid Sky, the early-'80s neon New York New Wave no-budget sci-fi drama (now a kitsch classic IMO). This is true; however, Under the Skin is a completely different sort of film in all other respects, and there's zero resemblance beyond the one plot device.
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby ergo space pig on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:18 pm

i honestly found this movie to be pretty amazing. it's one of the best new movies i've seen in years. it's sort of an experience in itself, like 2001 or something like that, not really like other films at all. i'm not a fan of ScarJo generally but she did a good job. also really heartbreaking ending that is very thought-provoking, especially as the film takes a more human/relateable turn towards the finale.
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 pm

I really dig this sort of movie. Thumbs up.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Finally got to see this a few days ago. Made my week. It could never live up to my expectations, and I'm not sure I entirely buy the second half, but a wonderful film all the same. But I remember being slightly underwhelmed with Sexy Beast at the time, and looking back it's a total classic.

Justin Foley wrote:I am now irrationally attracted to Johansson, so there's that.

Nothing irrational about it. She is, as singer-songwriter Craig David so eloquently put it, "a beautiful honey with a beautiful body".

Oh, and here's a scene that didn't make the final cut:

phpBB [media]
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby J_Temperance on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Voted "EURGH" not because this is a bad film, it's just one of the most disquieting, creepiest, COLDEST movies I've ever seen, it really does give you the feeling that you're looking at the world the way a non-human, sentient entity would. Plus the whole fembot predating on random passerbys aspect of it, it really gives me the creeps in a way I'm not sure I'd like to experience again. Not a good date movie is what I'm getting at, it will cast a blizzard-like chill upon ye proceedings. First "Gone Girl" then this, *sigh*, J_Temperance when will you learn?
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Ranxerox on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:28 am

I expected this to be bad, to be weighed down by ScarJo's bad acting, etc.

It was great. Deeply disquieting, capable of prompting discussions of sexuality, gender, race, etc.

When the boulder headed guy meets cycle boy in the back yard I burst out laughing because it was so cruel and saddening.

Bonus: Best Scene of a Naked Man Holding Another Naked Man's Hand -- Ever!!

Also voted Eurgh!!
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 pm

I had the feeling we've discussed the book this was inspired by but I couldn't find it with the help of the wonderful search function.

The book is funny in that I hated everything (all of it: prose style, plotting, mystery elements, stupid concepts, set pieces, the lot) about it every second of reading it, but for a long time after I finished the main character stayed with me in a way I just couldn't shake.

I now think that Isserley is one of the great characters in recent fiction. A broadly shitty book with an astonishingly moving central creation? Maybe not so Crap after all...

Book is completely different from the film, almost the exact opposite conceptually.

I found some of the these reviews of the film from Time Out website amusing:

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/under-the-skin-2013#tab_panel_3

Johanson can't quite pull it off with this role.with her black hair and typically British untoned body,she does look very British
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap