TV: Fargo

crap
9%
not crap
91%

Total votes : 55

Re: TV: Fargo

Postby Jodi S. on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:34 pm

It occurred to me earlier in the season, but after tonight I wonder: So is Hanzee Dent going to reinvent himself as Shep Proudfoot?

My takeaway is this: everyone gets what they "deserve", and some of them aren't all to happy with that.

There was even a "happy" ending.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby numberthirty on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:54 pm

Without spoiling too much, Dodd and Rye point to Jodi being very correct.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:33 am

I also noticed a "Season 2 Leads Into Season 1" connection that I thought might be just in my head until I noticed that some other folks seem to have noticed it as well.
numberthirty

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:55 am

Not with a bang but a whimper. I dug it.

Fucking "War Pigs" at the top sounded so, so gooooooood.

No way they can top this season.

I was glad to hear the 'explanation' for the kooky Mentaculus-type shit going on with Danson, too.

10/10, no reservations. Well, alien shit, but fuck it. 9.5/10.
Last edited by Ike on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Tom on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 am

Ike wrote:Not with a bang but a whimper. I dug it.

Fucking "Iron Man" at the top sounded so, so gooooooood.

Yeah, except it was War Pigs :)

Great ending. I also liked that the weird symbols were just an optimistic hobby of the old man. Reminded me of a lot of the weird projects my dad would get into in his later years.
It was also kinds a weird positive reversal of the symbols in S1 of True Detective. Im sure it wasn't intentional, but that's what it reminded me of.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 am

Tom wrote:

Great ending. I also liked that the weird symbols were just an optimistic hobby of the old man. Reminded me of a lot of the weird projects my dad would get into in his later years.
It was also kinds a weird positive reversal of the symbols in S1 of True Detective. Im sure it wasn't intentional, but that's what it reminded me of.

Oh my lord, most incredible brainfart. Don't post and parent simultaneously.

Sorry! Fixed to reflect dumbness!
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby numberthirty on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:31 pm

:smt022

Sorry, Fargo fans, it’s going to be more than a year before the hit FX series comes back for its third season.

During a conference call with press on Tuesday, show creator Noah Hawley revealed that the next season will likely debut in the spring of 2017.

“You won’t see it in 2016,” Hawley said of his show. “It’s a winter show, and we don’t have the time to film this winter.” Hawley said that that production for season 3 will likely begin in November of 2016.

In addition to a release date, Hawley confirmed the exact time setting of the new season. As EW exclusively reported, the new season will be set a few years after the first season, which took place in 2006. Hawley got more specific on the call, saying season 3 will take place in 2010 and have a more contemporary feel (according to Hawley, season 3 will take place in a “selfie-oriented culture”).

As for what characters to expect in season 3, Hawley said he’s always looking for connections between the seasons and teased that the lives of new characters may intersect with past favorites – but the show’s season 1 cast will likely not play a large role in season 3.
numberthirty

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:27 pm

I don't know 100 Bullets. Can someone explain what they see as related between this story and that?
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby numberthirty on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:30 pm

I'll post a bit later about 100 Bullets.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:03 am

As 100 Bullets goes along, the main story consists of a war between thirteen crime families who control The United States Of America from behind the scenes and The Minutemen. The Minutemen are a group of men, often recruited from America's prisons, who police any action where one of the thirteen members of The Trust make a move against another. During flashbacks, the reader finds out that The Trust attempts to have The Minutemen killed. After The Minutemen fake their deaths, they are hidden across America.

One of the active Minutemen when they went into hiding was Remi Rome. He is sent back to his childhood home. He is working in a meat packing plant when he is brought back into the fold.

Curtis Hughes is a character who had been an operative for one of The Minutemen during the sixties. He is not allowed to become a Minuteman based on his race.

Lono is the one Minuteman whose death is put on, but is never actually sent into hiding. During the course of the series, The Trust recruit him to protect them from his fellow Minutemen. At the end of the series, he turns on The Trust only to be shot and survive in the final issue.

I have a feeling that Ed's similarity to Remi/Curtis Hughes' similarity to Mike Milligan/Hanzee's similarity to Lono may not be an accident.

Hanzee's working on who killed Rye and playing the Gerdharts is practically right out of the series. Hanzee's turn at the end also seems familiar.

Curtis Hughes being strictly incredibly talented muscle seems pretty close to where we find Mike Milligan.

Remi actually cuts up a body at the meat packing plant before returning to The Minutemen.

Those things could just be coincidence. Could just be me.
numberthirty

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:40 am

Tom wrote:

Also- it was playing in Mike's ride.

I love Mike.

He's working in the building that Malvo attacked 20 odd years later, right?

I think Old Mike will be in the next series. A catalyst, even if he isn't a main character. I think that will be the bridge.

Great ending.
Last edited by Tommy Alpha on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby numberthirty on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:53 am

Tommy...

You're gonna want to check your pm folder. Let's keep that possibility on the down low, for now.
numberthirty

Postby aldofarian on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:12 am

I really liked how the last episode almost seemed too short. The 50+ minutes went by in a flash. The pre-title section into that song was perfectly timed. I get annoyed so often at how superficially songs are used latterly in TV/Film just to underscore a scene (there should be a blanket ban on using any Nick Cave/Johnny Cash for scenes involving bloodshed). I think Jodi has pointed out that Fargo manages to overturn this. The songs when they have been used have been great (Aqualung in an earlier episode stands out).

The conversation in the patrol car on the way back was beautiful. As was (the barely recognisable) Adam Arkin's scene with Bokeem Woodbine.
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby tbone on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 am

Man, this season was so fucking good that I wanna immediately go back and watch BOTH fuckin' seasons right now.

War Pigs was so great. Every episode had perfect music in it, but that was probably the best instance of all.

Also: I really dug the call out to Raising Arizona with the dreams about the future. It's been a minute since I've watched Raising Arizona but it almost seemed like a shot for shot/line for line homage to that scene. Loved it.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby CSP_Skater on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:24 am

tbone wrote:Also: I really dug the call out to Raising Arizona with the dreams about the future. It's been a minute since I've watched Raising Arizona but it almost seemed like a shot for shot/line for line homage to that scene. Loved it.

Same here. That part in Raising Arizona seems to always make me almost tear up. That part in Fargo was instantly recognizable.

I think I need to see season 1.
CSP_Skater
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby ooop on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:55 pm

ooop
howard shore
howard shore

Postby eliya on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 pm

I guess I'm the only one who's kind of indifferent to this show. Or maybe it went over my head?

Anyway, I felt like I wasn't taking anything away from it. I watched the whole thing (and season 2 is better than 1, I think), and I was enjoying it a lot as I was watching, but once each episode ended I didn't think about it a minute longer. In a way, it was like watching a sitcom, I enjoy what's shown to me, but that's all there is to it.

The characters were like out of a comic book. Just everything about them from wardrobe to dialog, and the way they delivered lines. Some of the accents also felt off. I didn't spend too much time in those areas of the US (never been to the Dakotas), but Dodd's accent didn't sound right. I remember other characters sounding off, but can't think who it was.

The only character that had real depth was Peggy, and she was the most tragic of them all. Kirsten Dunst absolutely killed it in every scene she was in and should get whatever award she was nominated for.
eliya

Postby Ike on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Caught most of those (not the Hudsucker Proxy one, though--I thought that was an homage to the truck Moss was going to commandeer when the dude driving it got wasted by Chigurgh).

There are many, many more, too. Just packed with them.
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby tbone on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Holy shit, totally missed the sign language easter egg. Awesome.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Cactus on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:53 pm

Tommy Alpha wrote:
Tom wrote:
Ike wrote:
I love Mike.

He's working in the building that Malvo attacked 20 odd years later, right?

Wasn't the building that Malvo attacked, in Minnesota or North Dakota?
And wasn't the building in which Mike started working, in Kansas City?
I could be wrong.
Cactus
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap