Jane's Addiction?

Crap.
64%
Not Crap.
36%

Total votes : 73

Band: Jane's Addiction

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:09 pm

I can't believe y'all missed these guys? Are you not into alternative music? Don't you like to lollapalose?

Jane's Addiction were (are?) the most powerful and omnipotent phenomenon of the 80's-90's alternative scene. They created the scene. Lollapalooza defined what was good and holy in alternative music. Who better to decide this than Perry?

That song on their first major label album, "Jane Says"... A few chords, over and over, but a symphony to my ear! I'm so glad that whenever someone picks up an acoustic guitar, there's a 42% chance they'll jam on that raspberry of a riff... Who can blame 'em! I'll bust out the steel drum patch on my DX-7 and play along.

Ah, the 80's are back, and I'm so happy. Nothing like re-living the good old days with a bunch of my closest cyber-pals. Maybe David Kendall will pop in for a spot of tea? We can only hope. But for now, this will have to do.

I wrote:lots and lots of stupid, mean-spirited stuff.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby kerble on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:02 am

Well, which one of those is CRAP?

I liked them a lot as a teenager, but they sound like a bad trip to me now. I think Nothing's Shocking holds up a lot better sonically than Ritual, as the production on the latter really makes me dislike listening to the songs. It's a shame that it dated so poorly as Shocking sounds like a band playing in a room (more) and doesn't feel as squished. The drums and the guitar effects sound hilarious on Ritual. Completely bozo production that robs the life out of great performances.

used to be not crap. What have they done for me, lately? I guess they showed me that trying really hard to get the "now" sound usually results in the "stale" sound later.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tipcat on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:46 am

I don't want my post-modern MTV back anytime soon. CRAP.

The Bauhaus post was better.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Hiwatt on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:52 am

Man, I really hate this band.

Crizzap.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Champion Rabbit on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:46 am

Not Crap.

:WF: 2

Admittedly only one good album (Nothing Shocking) but what an album.

Wish I was ocean size indeed.

Also 10/10 for the use of phasing in the shower song.

Not Crap.
Going down the only road I've ever known.
Champion Rabbit
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Re: Band: Jane's Addiction

Postby mattw on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:47 am

Wernehm_Zackariaah wrote:
Jane's Addiction were (are?) the most powerful and omnipotent phenomenon of the 80's-90's alternative scene. They created the scene. Lollapalooza defined what was good and holy in alternative music. Who better to decide this than Perry?

Really? Someone forgot to tell me.

They are a triptych of suck. Perry Farrell, that goatfucker Dave Navarro, and the harrible music they made.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby gcbv on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:08 pm

Jane's Addiction were a strange phenomena.

I will readily admit this much:

The opening stanza from their song "Standing in the shower" is quite brilliant.

"Standing in the shower thinking
About what makes a man
An outlaw or a leader
I'm thinking about power...
The ways a man could use it
Or be destroyed by it
The water hits my neck
And I'm pissing on myself..."

---

I do a good amount of thinking in the shower, often of things that are much larger than my scope as a human being. I instantly related to these lyrics, and thought they were insightful and hilarious.

But the music? Oh man.
But I digress. Please continue with the squirrel circuit semantic debate.
gcbv
ed o'neill
ed o'neill

Postby Johnny 13 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Someone make a real poll so I can vote against them.
Johnny 13
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Angry_Dragon on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:00 pm

Johnny 13 wrote:Someone make a real poll so I can vote against them.

I would agree with but I don't think that they're good or bad enough to warrant one. Now Warrant on the other hand...
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby placeholder on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:00 pm

Jane's Addiction are very high on my list of worst bands ever. I have always found their music and their schtick really irritating. If there were a CRAP option, I'd vote without hesitation.

Dave Kendall, huh? That's pretty funny. You should use that one again...
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby evolu on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Crap.

They never did it for me, I couldn't ever see the attraction. They sounded like a piss poor prog rock act several years after the fact who had bought an 'indie rock for beginners' book.

Also, Perry Farrell looks too much like Clinger from M*A*S*H to be taken seriously.
evolu
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby same on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:33 pm

placeholder wrote:Jane's Addiction are very high on my list of worst bands ever. I have always found their music and their schtick really irritating. If there were a CRAP option, I'd vote without hesitation.

this band really bugs me too, and while there's tons of bands that are in many ways worse than jane's addiction, they're bad in one of the worst ways possible which is the "not only bad, but hard to ignore" way. so my first instict, placeholder, was to say, what the fuck, "...worst bands ever"? but i'm starting to see where you're coming from. not as bad as 4 non blondes or creed, but yeah, these guys are CRAP.

note: 4 non blondes is one of my prime examples of unignorable, bad music. some examples of music that's worse than jane's addiction but shit i can just tune out? um, well, there's the eagles, santana, jimmy buffet, george winston, i could go on all day.
same

Re: Band: Jane's Addiction

Postby ironyengine on Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:30 pm

mattw wrote:They are a triptych of suck.

This has now been added to my vocabulary of ways to describe three-pieces. Another proud (l) (o) (l) moment. Salut, MattW.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Clueless in Chicago on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:25 pm

same wrote:
placeholder wrote:Jane's Addiction are very high on my list of worst bands ever. I have always found their music and their schtick really irritating. If there were a CRAP option, I'd vote without hesitation.

this band really bugs me too, and while there's tons of bands that are in many ways worse than jane's addiction, they're bad in one of the worst ways possible which is the "not only bad, but hard to ignore" way. so my first instict, placeholder, was to say, what the fuck, "...worst bands ever"? but i'm starting to see where you're coming from. not as bad as 4 non blondes or creed, but yeah, these guys are CRAP.

note: 4 non blondes is one of my prime examples of unignorable, bad music. some examples of music that's worse than jane's addiction but shit i can just tune out? um, well, there's the eagles, santana, jimmy buffet, george winston, i could go on all day.

Yeah, yeah... when your band starts a cultural "palooza" phenomenon, gimme a ring, will ya? The term "palooza" is now a household word.

Jane's Addiction is the best band ever. The Spin Doctors are second. Slint is third. Deal with it.

Perry Ferrel is a classically trained composer and was the conductor of the London Symphony for 3 years. When you have accomplished that, let me know.
Clueless in Chicago
comrade
comrade

Postby same on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:33 pm

Clueless in Chicago wrote:
same wrote:

Yeah, yeah... when your band starts a cultural "palooza" phenomenon, gimme a ring, will ya? The term "palooza" is now a household word.

Jane's Addiction is the best band ever. The Spin Doctors are second. Slint is third. Deal with it.

Perry Ferrel is a classically trained composer and was the conductor of the London Symphony for 3 years. When you have accomplished that, let me know.

i hate you.
same

Postby Clueless in Chicago on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Hey, why are you being a troll? Most people like Jane's Addiction. Do you have a problem with that band *and* democracy?

I know, people here want to be so contrary. Just sit back, relax, and tap your foot along with the music.

I'd like to see you write a song about shoplifting and get it on MTV.
Clueless in Chicago
comrade
comrade

Postby Sebastian J. on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:15 pm

I really really hate this band, cmon, show me the hate!
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:44 pm

I actually kind of like them. I'm not a fan, but I've heard way more offensive shit than Jane's Addiction.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby zom-zom on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:46 pm

Barfff.

Fairy Apparel has a horrible voice, silly lyrics.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby joelb on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:52 pm

gcbv wrote:Jane's Addiction were a strange phenomena.

I will readily admit this much:

The opening stanza from their song "Standing in the shower" is quite brilliant.

Yeah, "ted, just admit it" came on my iPod the other day and I was trying to decide if the lyrics were insightful (because of this thing that's in me etc.) or just high school poetry claptrap. I'm actually leaning toward insightful, not brilliant, but insightful. Even if Perry sounds like a douche today. And "up the beach" + "ocean size" are a pretty breathtaking 1-2, Navarrankery aside.

But I don't know which one to vote for.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
tired of birds
tired of birds

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap