Festival: SXSW

CRAP
67%
NOT CRAP
33%

Total votes : 15

Festival: SXSW

Postby Sebastian J. on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:51 am

Probably some of you folks have attended this festival, I was thinking whadjathink of it?
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Re: Festival: SXSW

Postby kerble on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:52 am

Little-know fact: SXSW is pronounced "SEX SAW".

You are welcome.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:23 am

WYSIWYG
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Dave N. on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 am

CRAP BY CRAP CRAP.

It pales in comparison to PRFBBQ.

Edit: FM Bonham lives! sums it up pretty well a couple of posts below. The Spring Break vibe really turns me off.
Last edited by Dave N. on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Get dog costumes on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 am

Many of the best shows I've ever seen were at SXSW, which I've shown up for in one way or another since 2008. Some were "official SXSW" at downtown bars, and some were "unofficial" at Eastside yards, warehouses, and bars. I don't really distinguish between the two. All of it - plus the two crappy, simultaneous festivals downtown and the huge crush of people who show up apparently just to dick around on Sixth Street - is SXSW to me. Like music in general, 99% of what's on offer doesn't interest me at all, but there's so much going on that I've always been able to fill the days, noon to 2am, with good music.

For me, the randomness of the venue assignments is a huge part of the appeal. Every place in town is booked wall to wall, so musicians constantly get thrust into totally inappropriate or serendipitous venues. I may have seen the best My Disco show ever at a sterile, lifeless, makeshift club above a bar. They played on a rented stage that looked like a freight elevator, and all the lights were blue for some reason. It was perfect for them. The next night, I saw them play in a DIY space with a huge halfpipe. I don't know if you've ever seen people skating right next to My Disco, but it's not ideal.

There's also a Film, which I've never attended, and an Interactive (new media), which has begun to prevail over the official Music part. I've only been to Interactive a little bit, but for me it's analogous to Music: lots of attention on Bright Shiny Objects that I don't care about, while a bunch of smart people say interesting things to smaller crowds gathered in smaller ballrooms.

NC. (Setting aside, since I try to avoid them: their reliance on interns, the streets filling with garbage, SPRING BREAK, incessant marketing, drunk drivers plowing through pedestrians)
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Bonham lives! on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 am

i hate to be the stereotypical austin 'things-used-to-be-better' complainer, but sxsw is on the precipice. the unofficial events have eclipsed the official events and it's turned into a giant clusterfuck of promotional endeavors and spring breakers chasing down free shit. lines everywhere. i haven't bought a wristband in a couple years because the value just wasn't there (and that's at the local discounted rate). everything is so damn crowded you can feel stuck at a showcase even with a wristband. if you can get a platinum badge, by all means.

that said, there are like 2000 bands here and a bunch of free shit. if you can't have a good time it's your problem. there are plenty of events away from the downtown madness and plenty of things during the day to wipe you out long before anyone starts getting in line for showcases.
Bonham lives!
casio
casio

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Fuck SXSW. Fuck it form the beginning to the present to the future. Seriously, ram a throbbing steel-wool cock into the whole fucking shitbag shithole that has always been SXSW.

Really has not jack shit to do with music and everything to do with networking. Everything that was ever wrong about the music/entertainment/culture industry is embodied by SXSW.

Shame on the world for its very existence.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby dontfeartheringo on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:52 pm

"Doritos™ brings you Lady Gaga on the fabulous 6th Street Doritos™ Outdoor Stage™."

I go play this thing so I can fish with Trey and eat some bbq, but really, as a music event, it's a great excuse to go fishing.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby sulfur)addict on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:22 pm

It's pretty CRAP, but I know a few people who say they go play it and have fun. So waffles for that.

Also, waffles for this:
phpBB [media]
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Sam on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Doing a piss in this festival
Sam
cool kid
cool kid

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:07 pm

I first became aware of SXSW in 91 or 92, I think. I was friends with a band in KC who'd sent them their record, some press material, and money to play and set up a merch booth and play. After awhile they hadn't heard any sort of confirmation back, so they called to find out what was going on and the person they talked to was all "Oh, we never got anything." They said, "Okay, we'll put a stop payment on the MO and if somebody took it we'll press charges."

A few days later their records, press, and MO were sent back to them with a note that said, "Sorry, we can't book you guys this year. Try again next year or, better yet, just give it up."

Seriously, it's always been about ladder-climbing networkers playing tastemaker for a week.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm

It's fucking nonsense and had contributed mightily to various unfortunate shifts in music consumption, not least of which is the fall off in touring bands bothering with Austin outside of appearances at the many ass-eating music festivals that Austin Vegas-izes itself with on an annual basis.

Everything you hear good and bad about it is true. Whenever I venture out into the madness I have fun -- even when playing. I don't recommend it.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Redline on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Pay to play = yuck
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Dave N. on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Hey, FM Steve is doing a talky-thingy this year. The Gary is doing a few music thingies. Any other PRF-related folks going to be down this way? Man, I hope FM Ranxerox's new band Plastique is playing. That band smokes!

I normally leave town, but I'm diving headfirst into the madness this year. It's been awhile.
Dave N.

Postby Ranxerox on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Leaving town for the entirety. I am sad to miss the Gary doing thingies with their music. Very sad. Some other time soon.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Dave N. wrote:Hey, FM Steve is doing a talky-thingy this year...

phpBB [media]

(should autoplay from 52:38)

'There is no chance on Earth that I would ever participate in that shitshow.'

Hope Steve is going to participate in the same spirit that the IRA participates in tory conferences.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Me Again on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm

The film festival portion of South By South West had a big hand in launching the career of Lena Dunham, so... what's not to like?
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby Seby on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:54 am

crap
Seby
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby zircona1 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 pm

I've never been, and I can't foresee ever going as a non-participant. I can deal with some crowds, like at your normal concert, but crowds/lines at every single place make me a little nervous. And not being guaranteed to see who you want - I think I'd be disappointed.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby Frank Tuesday on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am

Parts of it are crap and parts of it are amazing. No where in the world has as many amazing musicians packed into one place. No where else has so many terrible musicians either, but you take the bad with the good.

Like many things, it takes effort to get the most out of it. I'll be out there again this year having a great time listening to great music.
Brian (aka Frank)
Math Patrol
Frank Tuesday
busher
busher

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap