Earth?

CRAP
7%
NOT CRAP
93%

Total votes : 165

Re: Band: Earth

Postby wellsyuk on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:34 am

Once Earth get in your head they never leave.
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby aen on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm

YUSS!
Just got my super fancy red marbled new Earth Double LP.
It's just what I needed.
Gonna catch them in Milwaukee.

*edit*
I need to update my drone metal statement from page 6. I'm actually pretty into all the various styles now. Just have to take the time to put headphones on and listen to the DROOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNEEESSSSSSS. Of course, I like the beats, too.
aen
airliner
airliner

Postby Agrimes on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:33 am

I'm still waiting on the vinyl of "Angels..." I ordered four weeks ago.
Very tempted to just listen to the mp3s. Should I just do that, or is it worth the wait?
Agrimes
president
president

Postby aen on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 am

mp3s will probably sound just as good, and there wont be any extraneous clicks pops or hisses.
aen
airliner
airliner

Postby Agrimes on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm not a vinyl snob so sound quality isn't the issue. Since that was the medium I ordered it on, I just wanted my first listen to be from the record.

I'm mostly peeved that it's taking this long to process it. I've ordered from Southern Lord a bunch of times in the past and they have never taken this long before.
Agrimes
president
president

Postby Dudley on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:42 am

The new one still hasn't clicked for me yet. I really like the cello playing, but overall it just hasn't taken off yet. As a lot of people have said, it feels more like an extension of Hex, making The Bees... look more like a blip or a diversion. Will keep trying, as was very excited to get hold of it.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby aen on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:24 am

Agrimes wrote:I'm mostly peeved that it's taking this long to process it. I've ordered from Southern Lord a bunch of times in the past and they have never taken this long before.

That's so wierd, Thats the second horror story I've heard about the SL store. I paid for mine via paypal, I dont know if that makes a difference. I would totally send them an email, because, they obviously are shipping out SOME peoples Earth records (like this guy's)
aen
airliner
airliner

Postby Dovey on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:43 am

Southern Lord's store is definitely odd.

Me and a friend both ordered the same item at around the same time. I was in Australia, he was in Massachusetts. I got mine in an entirely reasonable amount of time, and I'm not sure my buddy ever got his. I think in the end he gave up and asked for his money back or credit.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their fuck ups, is the thing.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby jeff_fox on Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 pm

They're starting their tour in June in Chicago at 'Mayne Stage' in Rogers Park. Yay, northside music!!! It's a fancy, newly rehabbed theater. should be interesting.
yay!
june 8.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:They're starting their tour in June in Chicago at 'Mayne Stage' in Rogers Park. Yay, northside music!!! It's a fancy, newly rehabbed theater. should be interesting.
yay!
june 8.

Already got my ticket for this. Im interested to see the theater as well. I know WFMT hosts a lot of chamber concerts there and the acoustics are supposed to be phenomenal.
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed May 04, 2011 11:56 am

Still waiting . . .
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby chapin on Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Old Black was the only song written before they entered the studio. It seems pretty obvious when you listen to it, that's the only stand out track. The others feel like they are lacking a little something. I'm stilling looking forward to volume 2 though.
chapin
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 pm

chapin wrote:Old Black was the only song written before they entered the studio. It seems pretty obvious when you listen to it, that's the only stand out track. The others feel like they are lacking a little something. I'm stilling looking forward to volume 2 though.

I thought they had everything written and structured except the final, really long track. Carlson was saying how most of the album was written as structured songs, and then they just improvised the final track in the studio. He also stated that part II of the album (supposedly to be released in 2012) is entirely like the last track, improvised in the studio and less structured.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

AnthonyCinder

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed May 04, 2011 1:51 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:
chapin wrote:Old Black was the only song written before they entered the studio. It seems pretty obvious when you listen to it, that's the only stand out track. The others feel like they are lacking a little something. I'm stilling looking forward to volume 2 though.

I thought they had everything written and structured except the final, really long track. Carlson was saying how most of the album was written as structured songs, and then they just improvised the final track in the studio. He also stated that part II of the album (supposedly to be released in 2012) is entirely like the last track, improvised in the studio and less structured.

Here's the interview I was referencing: http://www.theaquarian.com/2011/02/16/i ... nd-demons/

AnthonyCinder

Postby chapin on Wed May 04, 2011 5:08 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:
AnthonyCinder wrote:

Here's the interview I was referencing: http://www.theaquarian.com/2011/02/16/i ... nd-demons/

I stand corrected, I thought I had read otherwise. I may have been confusing it with Volume 2. They did write Old Black before the others and toured it for a long time. I still think this record wasn't fully developed, certainly not as much as Bees.
chapin
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby jeff_fox on Wed May 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Just noticed on their website that Karl Blau is playing bass for them. Is this old news?

cool!
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby Bernardo on Wed May 04, 2011 7:35 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:Just noticed on their website that Karl Blau is playing bass for them. Is this old news?

cool!

I think that's just on the record, there's a girl on bass right now.
Bernardo

Postby Agrimes on Sat May 07, 2011 5:56 am

So I finally got a vinyl copy of Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1, although it wasn't the one I ordered from Southern Lord. After bickering with whoever deals with customer service over there, they did send me a record - only they sent Bureaucratic Desire For Extra Capsular Extraction, which I already had. Very angry, but patient (I do support this label and many bands on it), I wrote them again saying they sent the wrong one and that I'd return it in exchange for Angels.... Still never heard back from them, so there goes 30-or-so dollars I'll never see again. Later, I went to a record store I've been going to for the last ten years, told the guy of my situation, and lo and behold he has one copy (of what he said was 3000, and it was the only copy they'd be getting). So thanks to him.

Anyways...
After hearing it twice now, I agree with most other sentiments here. It seems more like an extension of Hex and Hibernaculum. It was off to a really good start, but by the last two songs it ran out of steam. If part 2 of the record is going to be more improv stuff like the title track was, I don't think I'm going to enjoy it very much. I'm beginning to think the slow country/blues thing is kinda played out by now. Unless they do a happier/prettier sounding record like Bees... was at times, I just can't really think of where else they could take it.
Agrimes
president
president

Postby Bernardo on Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 pm

I didn't like the jam session aspect of it at first, but the record grew on me.
Bernardo

Postby aen on Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Agrimes wrote:It was off to a really good start, but by the last two songs it ran out of steam.

I thought the last track was totally rad! I felt a good sense of the improv energy.
aen
airliner
airliner

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap