Earth?

CRAP
7%
NOT CRAP
93%

Total votes : 165

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Agrimes on Sat May 14, 2011 5:50 am

"Hell's Winter", for the kind of progression it's based around, is way too repetitive and long. It just drags on and on. Maybe if they threw in a few other riffs or cut it in half it would have been less boring.

The title track starts off cool, but after awhile it gets boring because they're just making the same kinds of sounds over and over. It just doesn't seem to really go anywhere and made the album seem anticlimactic. However, I'll admit that I am extremely critical of improvised music in general. I think professional musicians who's records or performances is largely based on improv is a slap in the face to people who work hard on their songwriting.
Agrimes
president
president

Postby goatlord on Sat May 14, 2011 5:58 am

I absolutely adore the country drone metal albums, but I must admit that yesterday I listened to Earth 2 and it is one of the few time in my life that I've felt RAGE towards a record. I don't know why, but it extremely annoyed me. I can take Sunn O))) but this record touched a nerve.

That is not necesarally a bad thing, other records that made me feel uncomfortable were Gluy Porch Treatments and Trout Mask Replica, and now those records are some of my favorite records. You won't win, Dylan Carson.

Anyway, Not Crap, I love the gun buying bastard.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby IDNG on Sat May 14, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm not a big fan of Earth 2 either. I prefer Phase 3.

I love the new album and really quite like the last track. A bit long but otherwise it's good. Really looking forward to the 2nd part.
IDNG
novitiate
novitiate

Postby AnthonyCinder on Sun May 15, 2011 5:10 am

Agrimes wrote:"Hell's Winter", for the kind of progression it's based around, is way too repetitive and long. It just drags on and on. Maybe if they threw in a few other riffs or cut it in half it would have been less boring.

The title track starts off cool, but after awhile it gets boring because they're just making the same kinds of sounds over and over. It just doesn't seem to really go anywhere and made the album seem anticlimactic. However, I'll admit that I am extremely critical of improvised music in general. I think professional musicians who's records or performances is largely based on improv is a slap in the face to people who work hard on their songwriting.

People who make quality improvised music work their asses off practicing and honing the ability to create something new each time they play. They put a ton work into practicing in order to build chemistry. I think one could draw the comparison to a sports team practicing for games where they can't have every move choreographed, but have to change it up constantly.

Now, you might not like the way improvised music ends up sounding, and that's fine. It's just worth mentioning that people who are serious about playing improvisational music really do work their asses off.

(The music I play is not improvised music, I am just surrounded by people who incorporate varying levels of improvisation into the music they play. I am continually in awe of how much and how hard they work at it.)
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby aen on Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 am

goatlord wrote:yesterday I listened to Earth 2 and it is one of the few time in my life that I've felt RAGE towards a record.

There are a lot of what sound like timing mistakes on there. Totally bugs me. Probably not FULL ON RAGE
but I think I might get where you're coming from.
aen
airliner
airliner

Postby goatlord on Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 am

aen wrote:
goatlord wrote:yesterday I listened to Earth 2 and it is one of the few time in my life that I've felt RAGE towards a record.

There are a lot of what sound like timing mistakes on there. Totally bugs me. Probably not FULL ON RAGE
but I think I might get where you're coming from.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a Nabokov level english writer/learner, right?

I haven't listened to that record since that day, but I've heard "A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra Capsular Extraction" and I liked it just fine. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for slow ultradistorted feedback? Probably. I still respect the hell out of Dylan Carlson, he is a great musician and guitar player.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Is it worth seeing Earth up in Rogers Park on a Wednesday night next week? I like Earth, but I also have shit to do. I'm already braving the double Melvins concert tonight and tomorrow.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby raygun on Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 pm

P.J. Craven wrote:Is it worth seeing Earth up in Rogers Park on a Wednesday night next week? I like Earth, but I also have shit to do. I'm already braving the double Melvins concert tonight and tomorrow.

Yeah. They played every song from the new record (as well as Ouroboros is Broken, Coda Maestoso and another older one) when I saw them on this tour - some more variety would have been nice - but they were awesome, the guy is ill, and they don't tour very often.
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 am

Yeah, that man does not look well AT ALL. I've seen healthier looking winos.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby rappard on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:Yeah, that man does not look well AT ALL. I've seen healthier looking winos.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/04 ... son-earth/ explains a lot.

(Apologies if this was posted before, skimmed the thread but didn't see it.)
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 am

Yeah, I'd heard but not actually read the interview. Thanks for posting
Tommy Alpha

Postby aen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:31 pm

EARTH DAY TOMORROW IN MILWAUKEEEEEEEEEEE!
I'll be delivering Dylan Carlson a sweet ass fuzz pedal. And then we will take pictures of us with our arms on one another's shoulders, sticking our tongues out, and waving the peace sign.
aen
airliner
airliner

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:54 pm

The new record is so good. I'm addicted to it. It just will not leave the turntable. This is only part 1 or something right? If so I'm giddy like a school girl for part 2.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jeff_fox on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Seeing them in a couple hours up in Rogers Park. I really have no idea what to expect! psyched!
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:Seeing them in a couple hours up in Rogers Park. I really have no idea what to expect! psyched!

Great show, was sublime. Never been to Mayne Stage before but was impressed, pretty classy digs with outstanding sound. Respectful crowd as well, I dont think there was a peep the entire set. We got "Bees Made Honey", so I was a happy camper.
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Mr. Chimp on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 am

Shit. Why am I hearing about this show from last night one mile from my home just now?

Because I am an idiot.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & Andrew Cohen & Light Coma
I bass Small Awesome
Mr. Chimp

Postby WoundedFoot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Such a strange, classy venue for the Chi show. Cool show overall. Mighty stoked to hear Ouroboros Is Broken, Coda Maestro and that dirgy, dark track from the new record. Talked to Dylan and Adrienne for a minute. Nice folks. O Paon was pretty sweet as well. Awesome night.
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Just bought my tickets for the LA show toward the end of July.

Very excited!
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby jeff_fox on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:25 pm

cerebralheadtrip wrote:
EmpireStateTroopers wrote:Seeing them in a couple hours up in Rogers Park. I really have no idea what to expect! psyched!

Great show, was sublime. Never been to Mayne Stage before but was impressed, pretty classy digs with outstanding sound. Respectful crowd as well, I dont think there was a peep the entire set. We got "Bees Made Honey", so I was a happy camper.

yes. good food and good beer too. Comfortable space.

Was it me or was the drummer's timing distractingly bad? I know it's really difficult to play that slow, but her sweeping motions seemed to throw her off so badly...the hi hat closing never lined up with the snare hit and it was driving me crazy! (maybe she was going for some kind of swingy thing that I wasn't picking up on). Dylan's guitar sounded gorgeous though, and sometimes the cello blended with it so that you couldn't tell if it was the guitar feeding back or the cello's note. cool show.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby Ike on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:01 am

Saw them last night, here in Kalamazoo. They were great, but a few eccentricities.

The cello player, Lori Goldston, seemed pretty perturbed most of the night--at one point she said, "I'm just trying to deal with a trainwreck here...if you guys would turn down a bit...." The last part was weird, because they were NOT loud, at all. I was right up front, and I could have taken my ear plugs out and been fine. Carlson played through a tiny Fender Deluxe, and honestly, it sounded incredible. He plays a squire, and it was just great. Dialed in.

The drummer was.....man, I don't know. GREAT to watch. I could watch her all day long. But she hit very, very softly, and was JUUSSSTTTTT behind the beat on every hit. I actually couldn't tell if this was by design, or just her thing that night--it's not like the albums in this regard (the last three album, at least), where it seems to be in the pocket (A DEEP POCKET). Super entertaining drummer, though. Brings her arms WAY up, then barely hits the drums. I loved her.

Carlson was very polite, really nice. Spoke between songs, a bit. Was genuinely happy when people clapped and knew the names of songs. There were a lot of oldhead, hesher bros there, and they were FEELING it. Really getting into the vibe. Lots of younger girls, too, which was nuts. Then the obvious dudes who would be there. I had to leave before they played their last song (relieve the sitter), but I got my $$$'s worth ($15, super high for around here). Great show. Weird band.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap