Earth?

CRAP
7%
NOT CRAP
93%

Total votes : 165

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Into the Void on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 pm

What should I check out beyond Earth 2? I've given Bees made Honey In the Lion's Skull a go, and found I was more into the heavy droney sound, but that was a while back. My angry teenager ears may have softened.

He never really did another album as droney as Earth 2, but I'd say Sunn Amps And Smashed Guitars is probably the closest. And listen to Hex because it's his best, in my opinion. Phase 3: Thrones And Dominions is also great.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby LizardPod on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:13 pm

One of my favorite songs from Earth is "Harvey". NC

phpBB [media]
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Major on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:42 pm

I think they may have peaked with the Angles of Darkness, Demons of Light records. Hope I'm wrong

Earth 2 still gets spun a bunch.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby jeff_fox on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Saw them about a month ago in a cemetery. Overall it was very enjoyable but there were a few really significant and confusing distractions. First, what the fuck has dylan done to his guitar tone? Honestly sounded like he was playing through a POD with the chorus effect turned all the way up. Ratty, thin and horribly processed sounding. Almost like hair metal. It did come and go during the set and it was refreshing when he turned off whatever was making his guitar sound so horrible.

Second, I've said this before…I cannot get behind the drumming. She does this overly dramatic, hands over her head swing, but right at the last second when the sticks are like 4 inches from the snare head, she SLOWS DOWN and almost presses the tips into the head instead of striking the drum. She takes 95% of the power out of the swing and every hit varies wildly in volume. It's frustrating to watch/hear. Like hearing a car shift down into first gear going 30mph. I don't notice it much on the recordings, but live it's painful and I just have to block her out of my line of sight. Also the snare hit is always a split second off from the closing of the hi hat and it just sounds incredibly sloppy. I totally get that playing that slow and with that much restraint is tough, but I wish she could just zone out and lock in better.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:08 pm

Hex is the best one Harpseal and worth checking out, as is Pentastar, but the new album is also really good IMO. It's a nice blend of early droney Earth and post Hex Earth.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby chrisc on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:15 am

jeff_fox wrote:Saw them about a month ago in a cemetery. Overall it was very enjoyable but there were a few really significant and confusing distractions. First, what the fuck has dylan done to his guitar tone? Honestly sounded like he was playing through a POD with the chorus effect turned all the way up. Ratty, thin and horribly processed sounding. Almost like hair metal. It did come and go during the set and it was refreshing when he turned off whatever was making his guitar sound so horrible.

Second, I've said this before…I cannot get behind the drumming. She does this overly dramatic, hands over her head swing, but right at the last second when the sticks are like 4 inches from the snare head, she SLOWS DOWN and almost presses the tips into the head instead of striking the drum. She takes 95% of the power out of the swing and every hit varies wildly in volume. It's frustrating to watch/hear. Like hearing a car shift down into first gear going 30mph. I don't notice it much on the recordings, but live it's painful and I just have to block her out of my line of sight. Also the snare hit is always a split second off from the closing of the hi hat and it just sounds incredibly sloppy. I totally get that playing that slow and with that much restraint is tough, but I wish she could just zone out and lock in better.

I was there too and pretty close up. Paragraph two seems to be because she's conducting the band with them big swings. I think Dylan was watching for them early on? Can't remember. Maybe she did it the whole time but I didn't notice because I also fully agree with paragraph one.
chrisc
benny binion
benny binion

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:36 am

Not crap, with a waffle factor of 7.

Love the first three records - especially the massively under-rated "Phase 3 - Thrones and Dominions" - but on the one occasion I saw them live (at ATP in 2007) their current muse struck me as being duller and more orthodox than the drone-oriented stuff they used to do, and have been less inclined to rave about them since then. Ironically Sunn 0))) performed at the same festival, and played exactly the kind of set I would have liked to have heard from Earth.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
pom pom
pom pom

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Carlson/Earth have invented a genre twice, first with Extra Capsular Extraction/Earth 2 to set the standard for droone-doom and then a decade or so later with Hex, which has its precedents, but really sounds like nothing else before it.

The last record was poop, but I'm still looking forward to where they go next. If it continues to be poop, so be it. Not sure they could ever top Hex, regardless.

Also, I really enjoy Adrienne's drumming, which has been vital for the re-invention of their sound since she started with the band. I completely get what Jeff is saying about how funny it looks, but there's a certain feel there which produces inimitable results.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:00 pm

^ I agree.

I love her drumming. It's sloppy at times, sure, but it adds a little humanity to something that could've very well been just some other "tight" drummer.

I don't remember that slow-motion drumming thing she does bothering me when I saw them in 2011, but then again I had eaten a lot of mushrooms hours before the show.

Great experience.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Model Citizen on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Love the band but wasn't too keen on the last one (I think I've listened to it, like, twice), doesn't put me off whatever they do next though.

I may have said it before but my favourite record is Bees, while my favourite recording is of Angels of Darkness I.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Bernardo on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:58 pm

I think Hibernaculum is a great introduction to their current (post-Hex) phase, it did the trick for me. Hex took me longer to get into. The run from Hex through to Bees is great, the Angels twofer not so to my taste, it's them in jam session mode and not something I'm interested in. The last one I can't listen to all the way through.
Bernardo

Postby wellsyuk on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:05 am

The track 'Reverb Experiment' from Kurt's 'Montage of Heck Home Recordings' sounds so much like Earth it could even have been Dylan actually, don't know if it is or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-UI3gO7A0
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Cactus on Sat May 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Can't believe so many folks dislike their last album. I think it's one of their best.
And also love the vocals, especially the female ones. Man, that song is the bomb.
Cactus
district attourney
district attourney

Postby LizardPod on Sat May 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Just stumbled upon their first release. I fucking love it. It's like a more conventional Earth 2. Never knew Kurt Cobain did vocals for Earth.
phpBB [media]
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby J_Temperance on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Aw crap. Really been coming around to Primitive and Deadly, in fact I'd now say it's my favorite along with Hex and 2. There's no reason why just adding their old downtuned distortion to their getting-stale doomy "apocalyptic slowcore country" should work but it does. The sings with vocals are my favorites (except for the last one), though I agree that they should've gotten someone more Robert-Plant sounding on the one about snakes, that song kind of sounds like Led Zeppelin on a lot of syzzurp.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Into the Void on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Any thoughts on the new Dylan Carlson solo album? I am loving it...reminiscent of Hex with some Neil Young "Dead Man" thrown in.

phpBB [media]
Into the Void

Postby tallchris on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm

My friend Clyde is making a documentary on Earth:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/0 ... band-earth
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm

From their facebook page

"more cool news: we will be touring the US this May in support of our new album 'FULL UPON HER BURNING LIPS'. Thrilled to have Helms Alee open for us.
Some presales are up now with password "burninglips". All tickets on sale Friday. 'Cats on the Briar' is streaming everywhere now.

MAY 24 Seattle, WA @ Neumos
MAY 25 Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
MAY 28 San Francisco, CA @ Great American
MAY 29 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
MAY 31 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
JUN 01 Phoenix, AZ @ Rebel Lounge
JUN 02 Albuquerque, NM @ Sister
JUN 04 Austin, TX @ Barracuda
JUN 05 Dallas, TX @ Club Dada
JUN 07 Houston, TX @ The Secret Group
JUN 08 Baton Rouge, LA @ Mid City Ballroom
JUN 10 Orlando, FL @ Wills Pub
JUN 11 Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
JUN 12 Carrboro, NC @ Cat’s Cradle
JUN 14 Richmond, VA @ Gallery 5
JUN 15 Baltimore, MD @ Ottobar
JUN 16 Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda’s
JUN 18 Somerville, MA @ ONCE Ballroom
JUN 19 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
JUN 21 Pittsburgh, PA @ Spirit Hall
JUN 22 Detroit, MI @ El Club
JUN 23 Chicago, IL @ The Empty Bottle
JUN 24 Minneapolis, MN @ 7th St. Entry
JUN 27 Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
JUN 28 Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
JUN 29 Boise, ID @ Neurolux"

New album out May 24th. Interview and new song can be found here

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/03/ ... 2ZCdj-OCM0
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Great pairing for that tour.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby andyman on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:11 am

I like the new song. It sounds more original than the post Bees... stuff. Could actually fit right into Bees, which is no bad thing.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap